Light cigarettes

Soxy

Link

Intro:

A judge in America has given the go ahead to a class-action lawsuit accusing the tobacco industry of misleading smokers into buying light cigarettes as a less harmful alternative to regular ones.

Judge Jack Weinstein of US District Court in Brooklyn, New York, said that there was enough evidence for the plaintiffs to push their case as a class-action, potentially enabling tens of millions of smokers to join the lawsuit, which it is estimated could cost tobacco firms between $100 billion and $200 billion in damages.

What do you all think about this?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
Link

Intro:

A judge in America has given the go ahead to a class-action lawsuit accusing the tobacco industry of misleading smokers into buying light cigarettes as a less harmful alternative to regular ones.

Judge Jack Weinstein of US District Court in Brooklyn, New York, said that there was enough evidence for the plaintiffs to push their case as a class-action, potentially enabling tens of millions of smokers to join the lawsuit, which it is estimated could cost tobacco firms between $100 billion and $200 billion in damages.

I think its amazing that cigarettes are legal and marijuana isn't. And I think cigarettes are a much, much greater danger to the public than alcohol.

I think the tobacco companies definitely tried to market "light" cigarettes as cleaner/healthier cigarettes. If that contributed in any way to the millions of deaths and illnesses caused by smoking, I hope the tobacco companies pay out their asses.

Rule #1 of marketing: It works. Tobacco Companies are liable for causing millions of people to become addicted to a product that definitely causes about 12 types of deadly cancer. In addition, Big Tobacco has drained our healthcare system, taxes, our insurance industry, and ruined the lives of practically everyone smoking has touched.

Tobacco companies deserve to have a nation of drooling plaintiff's attorneys coming after them like attack dogs

Edited by AbeFroman

My wife has always smoked lights. The description I've always gotten is that they aren't as "strong". Everyone I know that has ever smoked the ultra-lights said it's like smoking air.

I'm not sure I've ever thought they were less "harmful" but I did assume they have less tobacco, tar, niccotine, whatever in them...

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
I think the tobacco companies definitely tried to market "light" cigarettes as cleaner/healthier cigarettes. If that contributed in any way to the millions of deaths and illnesses caused by smoking, I hope the tobacco companies pay out their asses.

Rule #1 of marketing: It works. Tobacco Companies are liable for causing millions of people to become addicted to a product that definitely causes about 12 types of deadly cancer. In addition, Big Tobacco has drained our healthcare system, taxes, our insurance industry, and ruined the lives of practically everyone smoking has touched.

Tobacco companies deserve to have a nation of drooling plaintiff's attorneys coming after them like attack dogs

If there was one person in 1000 who smoked the light brands and thought they were healthy, they need alot more than a lawyer. They need a brain. That word attached to them just gave the smokers who couldn't quit a crutch to their habit. Kinda like eating 'diet' candy, but eating the whole bag. Still bad for you, you knew it before hand, go away.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
Link

Intro:

And what percentage of that would actually get to anyone 'harmed' by the cigarettes? If it ends up like the Jiffy Lube cases, they might get a coupon for a free pack instead of cash, or $20% off their next cancer screening, while the lawyers pocket all the dough.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
We all make choices. And some people make stupid ones. Given that warning labels have been required on cigarettes since the 1960s, anyone that speaks English in this country in the last 30 years and doesn't know that any cigarette is bad for you doesn't deserve a dime.

I agree.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
Link

Intro:

Eh, you could say the same thing about drinks/foods that are 'diet' or 'fat free', but in the end might be more harmful than the normal version. I am not into cigarettes so don't know how light ones are advertised or what's on the label, but common sense here, a cigarette is a cigarette

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
Eh, you could say the same thing about drinks/foods that are 'diet' or 'fat free', but in the end might be more harmful than the normal version. I am not into cigarettes so don't know how light ones are advertised or what's on the label, but common sense here, a cigarette is a cigarette

Light ones do have smaller amounts of nicotine and tar per cigarette in each cigarette. Which is why you feel like you're smoking air with an ultra-light. In my opinion, its an accurate label - because it definitely feels like a lighter smoke than say a Camel Wide or Lucky regular.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Light ones do have smaller amounts of nicotine and tar per cigarette in each cigarette. Which is why you feel like you're smoking air with an ultra-light. In my opinion, its an accurate label - because it definitely feels like a lighter smoke than say a Camel Wide or Lucky regular.

So how would this be a case? If there are less amounts of harmful substances in each cigarette, then couldn't they really be considered "less harmful"? Sure they'll still give you cancer, just not a quickly.

Kinda like a cheeseburger and a double-cheeseburger. Both will make you fat, but one will do it faster...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
I think its amazing that cigarettes are legal and marijuana isn't. And I think cigarettes are a much, much greater danger to the public than alcohol.

Dont even get me started. There were more deaths last year attributed to tylenol than Marijuana. Yet its a deadly "gateway drug."