Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
As stated earlier, I'm not on the Indiana staff so I do not know how the situation. Crean has been asked numerous times, replying that he's not stupid and there's a plan A,B, and C for this.

Plan A is Zeller and Oladipo going pro while they elegantly ask Creek not to come back.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
Also, the last player I'm worried about contributing in the bigten is Vonleh. This is the best class since 07 or earlier and he's one of the better ones. It sad the conference only had one MCDAA.

HUH, one McAA this year, is that what you mean?

And where do you get that this is the best class in the conference since then? Based on your view, or based on actual rankings?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
HUH, one McAA this year, is that what you mean?

And where do you get that this is the best class in the conference since then? Based on your view, or based on actual rankings?

I believe he is referring to the 2013 class nationally being the best class nationally since 2007. That is actually entirely possible since none of the classes since then have been particularly strong.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
I believe he is referring to the 2013 class nationally being the best class nationally since 2007. That is actually entirely possible since none of the classes since then have been particularly strong.

Simply not true though. By star avg its not, by McDAA its not.

You may want to check out the 2008 and 2010 OSU recruiting classes. How soon we forget. 2011 OSU is right there at a 3.80 star avg with a McD AA on it.

99 has it right. Wiggins and Parker are two extremely talented players at the top. Throw in Randle, Gordon, Harrison's, and Vonleh... Dear god.

As for Rocks earlier post, I'm glad you have it all figured out. Thanks for letting me know.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Simply not true though. By star avg its not, by McDAA its not.

You may want to check out the 2008 and 2010 OSU recruiting classes. How soon we forget. 2011 OSU is right there at a 3.80 star avg with a McD AA on it.

That isn't what I mean. I don't think he is referring to IU's 2013 class but the 2013 class as a whole (i.e. Wiggins, Parker, Randle, etc. is better than any class since 2007).

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
99 has it right. Wiggins and Parker are two extremely talented players at the top. Throw in Randle, Gordon, Harrison's, and Vonleh... Dear god.

As for Rocks earlier post, I'm glad you have it all figured out. Thanks for letting me know.

Oh you are referring to the class overall, not what your program actually signed, got it.

And you are welcome.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
That isn't what I mean. I don't think he is referring to IU's 2013 class but the 2013 class as a whole (i.e. Wiggins, Parker, Randle, etc. is better than any class since 2007).

Got it. It could be better, obviously we've said that a few years and they havent been all that impressive in college action overall IMO. I am actually more enthused with the next class.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Got it. It could be better, obviously we've said that a few years and they havent been all that impressive in college action overall IMO. I am actually more enthused with the next class.

Not sure that has been the case. I remember 2008 and 2009 not being highly regarded at a national level and 2012 was not liked at all by scouts. 2010 and 2011 were both considered solid classes but nothing special.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)

No way. Two of the best prospects left the 2014 class in Wiggins and Vonleh.

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
As most are, but one guy doesn't make a class. Most scouts are down on 2014 from what I've seen.

Theres alot of top talent and I think it will come out this summer. Okafor as a junior was better than Parker was as a senior. He's really impressive. There are several guards that I think will rocket up the charts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Theres alot of top talent and I think it will come out this summer. Okafor as a junior was better than Parker was as a senior. He's really impressive. There are several guards that I think will rocket up the charts.

Parker was bad the first few months of the season after coming back from the injury but was easily the best player in the state down the stretch.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Well that isn't anything everyone didn't know already. The problem is probably is a 60/40 MSU lean.

I'd say 70/30, but you never know.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 7, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
I'd say 70/30, but you never know.

The longer this goes the better for Illinois. I have a lot of confidence that Groce will be able to make up ground and the fact that Alexander is friends with Tate and Nunn will also help Illinois in that recruitment. Plus, with MSU essentially not having a 2013 class and Harris certainly being gone by the time Alexander would get to campus, it isn't like he would be going to an MSU team that is a threat to win anything.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
As state earlier, who is out if Zeller stays?

Outside of that you have unproven guys who havent shown anything at the college level. Its good to be optimistic but those exact same things were said about these guys before this season and they didnt do jack s***.

Why is this such an issue for you? I've laid this out before and I'll do it again. Last year the agreed upon plan if Patterson made grades is that the Zeller's would pay Cody's way and he would come off scholarship. That could again this year, but probably won't. Creek will graduate and is not contributing much. He is one option to free space (and that is done all the time, especially in football so I'm not sure why it would be a big deal here). Jurkin has an injury that may be chronic. He's missed more basketball than he's played in the last 3 years. If his situation doesn't improve, he could leave/medical leave/or whatever. Austin Etherington completely blew out his knee for what is my understanding is the 2nd time. He may never be able to play again. Oladipo is already gone. Others may transfer out, especially if they think the new kids coming in will take minutes.

Right now, IU's scholarship situation is not nearly as dire as someone that is uninformed may think. There are several ways they can get to the number. Conversely, last year, every one was scratching their heads trying to figure out how they would fit Patterson in, except those inside the program which had a plan in place. I'm much less worried about this year than I was coming into this year.

And before you act like it only happens at IU, the same thing happened at Louisville last year. Kyle Kuric paid his own way to make room for someone else and he was a major contributor to that team.

Find another subject please!

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 11:17 PM)
Why is this such an issue for you? I've laid this out before and I'll do it again. Last year the agreed upon plan if Patterson made grades is that the Zeller's would pay Cody's way and he would come off scholarship. That could again this year, but probably won't. Creek will graduate and is not contributing much. He is one option to free space (and that is done all the time, especially in football so I'm not sure why it would be a big deal here). Jurkin has an injury that may be chronic. He's missed more basketball than he's played in the last 3 years. If his situation doesn't improve, he could leave/medical leave/or whatever. Austin Etherington completely blew out his knee for what is my understanding is the 2nd time. He may never be able to play again. Oladipo is already gone. Others may transfer out, especially if they think the new kids coming in will take minutes.

Right now, IU's scholarship situation is not nearly as dire as someone that is uninformed may think. There are several ways they can get to the number. Conversely, last year, every one was scratching their heads trying to figure out how they would fit Patterson in, except those inside the program which had a plan in place. I'm much less worried about this year than I was coming into this year.

And before you act like it only happens at IU, the same thing happened at Louisville last year. Kyle Kuric paid his own way to make room for someone else and he was a major contributor to that team.

Crean's ability to coach? :ph34r:

Kentucky adds Dominique Hawkins to their recruiting class, which makes 8. Isn't ranked on the major lists but was named Mr. Basketball in Kentucky. Not sure how many minutes he expects to get. His other offers were from Purdue, South Carolina, Morehead St, Western Kentucky and Tennessee Tech.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 11:17 PM)

Hey I was just looking for the details on the numbers. Your brother in Cream and Crimson refused to do so. I knew I could count on you Rex.