Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 23, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
Seriously... Illinois is on his final list too, although I doubt he becomes an Illini. If he doesn't at least I can say "let him be a cancer on some other team". Funny.

Oh, IU is still in the thick of it with him... I, along with numerous other Indiana fans just flat out don't want him. It's incident after incident with the kid. Heck of a talent, but not sure it's going to be worth it. No chance he's going to Illinois.

As for Exum, he's definitely going to college according to he and his dad. Probably be a top 3 talent if he was in the US all year long.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Oh, IU is still in the thick of it with him... I, along with numerous other Indiana fans just flat out don't want him. It's incident after incident with the kid. Heck of a talent, but not sure it's going to be worth it. No chance he's going to Illinois.

As for Exum, he's definitely going to college according to he and his dad. Probably be a top 3 talent if he was in the US all year long.

Can you link me to his incidents? I havent seen a peep of any of that anywhere.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
Can you link me to his incidents? I havent seen a peep of any of that anywhere.

He's not of age for them to be published in papers or anything, he's just been suspended from school and his team going on 4 occasions now in 3 years. The latest was this year prior to the end of his HS season where he punched a JV player out cold. He has a crap home life (lives with grandma) and has a "posse" with motives are probably aren't going to benefit him in the long run. Reminds me of Lance Stephenson's issues in HS.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ May 23, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
He's not of age for them to be published in papers or anything, he's just been suspended from school and his team going on 4 occasions now in 3 years. The latest was this year prior to the end of his HS season where he punched a JV player out cold. He has a crap home life (lives with grandma) and has a "posse" with motives are probably aren't going to benefit him in the long run. Reminds me of Lance Stephenson's issues in HS.

Sounds similar to Jereme Richmond actually.

Yeah everything I've read hasn't had anything major against Lyle and ontop of that Illinois is definitely in the mix although I wouldn't call them favorites by any means. A lot of these kids are a bit immature when your given that much attention at a young age hard not to be, unless it's Jerome Richmond bad not overly worried about it.

Starks officially transferring to Illinois. Good get for next year and doesn't use up a scholarship after this year.

Well, assuming he gets the waiver.

And we have someone who should be able to hit a 3...

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Brian @ May 29, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
From what I hear, Starks should have no problem getting that waiver.

This would be huge. The Illini should definitely be a tourney team if he can play this year. The upcoming team will replace guys like Griffey, Paul, and Richardson with Ekey, Rice, and Starks. I'm not saying they will be able to fill those shoes, but with improvement from Abrams, Egwu, and Bertrand along with the incoming freshman I wouldn't be surprised if this coming team is better than last years.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 29, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
This would be huge. The Illini should definitely be a tourney team if he can play this year. The upcoming team will replace guys like Griffey, Paul, and Richardson with Ekey, Rice, and Starks. I'm not saying they will be able to fill those shoes, but with improvement from Abrams, Egwu, and Bertrand along with the incoming freshman I wouldn't be surprised if this coming team is better than last years.

There is no way they are better than last year. No way.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 29, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
There is no way they are better than last year. No way.

You do realize what people's expectations were this time last year, right? How soon people forget...

And I'm not saying it WILL happen, I'm just saying I won't be surprised if it does. To say that it's not possible is pretty foolish.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Last year's team was a lot more dynamic, but incredibly inefficient. Betrand is about as efficient as a guard can get. Starks and Rice too are efficient players. We will see how it plays out.

Scholarship players with BT experience:

Egwu

Abrams

Bertrand

That makes it hard for me to imagine any scenario where they are better than last year. Especially looking at the front court.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 29, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
Last year's team was a lot more dynamic, but incredibly inefficient. Betrand is about as efficient as a guard can get. Starks and Rice too are efficient players. We will see how it plays out.

Bertrand is efficient within a very small sample size. If his shots go up, I expect efficiency will go down. Likewise, I thought Rice was fairly inefficient while at Drake.

Illinois is trying to replace a LOT of production this year. Without sizable increases in production from Egwu and Abrams, Rice being able to replace the majority of Paul's scoring, and Ekey/Starks giving the Illini a semblance of a perimeter threat, next year is going to be a struggle to the middle of the B1G. There are a lot of good pieces in place but almost no experience. The freshman class is talented, but likely short on instant impact talent. Let's temper expectations please.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
You do realize what people's expectations were this time last year, right? How soon people forget...

And I'm not saying it WILL happen, I'm just saying I won't be surprised if it does. To say that it's not possible is pretty foolish.

Expectations last year for a lot of people were "try to make the tournament."

It doesn't matter what expectations were last year, we already have the results.

Saying "they should definitely be a tourney team" is foolish.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)
Scholarship players with BT experience:

Egwu

Abrams

Bertrand

That makes it hard for me to imagine any scenario where they are better than last year. Especially looking at the front court.

Because the front court was significantly better last year? Rice has division 1 experience (and did pretty well) as well as a full year's practice with a BT team, Ekey is a 5th year senior with Div. 1 experience, and Starks played in a power conference and will be a better 3 point shooter than anybody we had last year.

Last year the front court was Sam McLaurin (a guy who played in the big south), Griffey (who was terrible his first three years in college and wasn't great last year), and Egwu (a sophomore coming off a season where he averaged less than 10 minutes per game).

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Expectations last year for a lot of people were "try to make the tournament."

It doesn't matter what expectations were last year, we already have the results.

Saying "they should definitely be a tourney team" is foolish.

I guess we'll see come March.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
Because the front court was significantly better last year? Rice has division 1 experience (and did pretty well) as well as a full year's practice with a BT team, Ekey is a 5th year senior with Div. 1 experience, and Starks played in a power conference and will be a better 3 point shooter than anybody we had last year.

Last year the front court was Sam McLaurin (a guy who played in the big south), Griffey (who was terrible his first three years in college and wasn't great last year), and Egwu (a sophomore coming off a season where he averaged less than 10 minutes per game).

Actually, yes. You're relying on a bunch of freshman, you lost McLaurin, Griffey (Ekey is maybe a poor man's Griffey) and you also lost Henry, which for this year is huge.

You may be starting Egwu and Ekey with 2 freshman coming off the bench.

Team was carried by seniors, one of them a star. On paper, it's clearly not a better team.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 29, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
Bertrand is efficient within considered any small sample size. If his shots go up, I expect efficiency will go down. Likewise, I thought Rice was fairly inefficient while at Drake.

Illiefficients trying to replace a LOT of production this year. Without sizable increases in production fom Egwu and Abrams, Rice being able to replace the majority of Paul's scoring, and Ekey/Starks giving the Illini a semblance of a perimeter threat, next year is going to be a struggle to the middle of the B1G. There are a lot of good pieces in place but almost no experience. The freshman class is talented, but likely short on instant impact talent. Let's temper expectations please.

I woukd say it is just the opposite with Bertrand. We've seen it before. The bigger the focal point of the offense he is, the more confidence he gets and the basket is seemingly an ocean. The most shots he has taken in games has been the best and most efficient games he has had fir the most part. Really excited to see what he can do as the team leader If he is healthy. As for Rice, he shot better than any of the departing seniors. We will see how he does vs. The BT.

My minimum expectations, as always, is to make the tournament. This is not a hard feat and shoukd not even be considered much of an accomplishment.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
I guess we'll see come March.

Well, I didn't say they have no chance to make the tournament.

What % chance do you have them to make the tournament? "Definitely" means like 90% to me, which I don't think that's the right % to use.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
Jerrance Howard to Kansas? Were there rumblings of this before?

There have been rumblings since he went to SMU from people that knew Jerrance and Self. Self is incredibly high on him.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
There have been rumblings since he went to SMU from people that knew Jerrance and Self. Self is incredibly high on him.

Yeah. As if Kansas needs help recruiting...good get for them, happy for Jerrance.