Tom House and Steroids

Gregory Pratt

Hi.

Tom House claimed that he was juicing in the 1970s. Steroids, HGH, everything. Claimed that they gobbled it up like it were nothing.

I've read somewhere that his claims are highly unlikely because of a variety of factors. The problem is, I can't recall them and I'm having trouble finding them.

Can anybody tell me why House' claim is hard to believe?

I believe it has something to do with HGH/steroids not really being in popular use at the time and not really being well-known, refined, etc. etc.

Do enlighten me.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 07:59 AM)
Hi.

Tom House claimed that he was juicing in the 1970s. Steroids, HGH, everything. Claimed that they gobbled it up like it were nothing.

I've read somewhere that his claims are highly unlikely because of a variety of factors. The problem is, I can't recall them and I'm having trouble finding them.

Can anybody tell me why House' claim is hard to believe?

I believe it has something to do with HGH/steroids not really being in popular use at the time and not really being well-known, refined, etc. etc.

Do enlighten me.

Bodybuilding has been using it for decades, why not major sports?

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
Bodybuilding has been using it for decades, why not major sports?

not that this is even close to being a concrete rumor...but someone once told me jack buck accused mike schmidt (who admitted to using amphetamines) of using steroids and buck believed that they crept their way into the game even since that era.....not a fact, but wouldnt doubt it, and as you said, the stuff isnt new...i believe the prevalence of it and the "designer drug" nature of it is a newer phenomenon

QUOTE(daa84 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)
not that this is even close to being a concrete rumor...but someone once told me jack buck accused mike schmidt (who admitted to using amphetamines) of using steroids and buck believed that they crept their way into the game even since that era.....not a fact, but wouldnt doubt it, and as you said, the stuff isnt new...i believe the prevalence of it and the "designer drug" nature of it is a newer phenomenon

That story, as well as many others on the widespread usage back in the mid and late 70's, has been around a long time. It's not hard to believe.

I would think so. Bodybuilding has had it forever so why wouldn't these guys or any sports from then?

It's part of the reason I think some guys are so vocal and others aren't sometimes. If you point the finger hard enough at this era, your own stock rises.

Baseball is so stupid and hypocritical with some of this stuff.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 02:27 AM)
I'm trying to recall any unusually muscular baseball players from the 70's. Any ball player who was juicing in the 70's was getting ripped off.

Most of the time they are looking for an edge. So it isn't someone 100% bigger, maybe just 10% bigger.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
That story, as well as many others on the widespread usage back in the mid and late 70's, has been around a long time. It's not hard to believe.

yeah i believe that it is true, i just didnt wanna go around slinging mud on something i had heard somewhat offhand

QUOTE(daa84 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)

That would be particularly distressing, since Schmidt was doing some very direct, admonishing PSA's for MLB in the early 80's trying to discourage drug use in teens.