Euro 2008

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2008 -> 09:57 PM)
US-Barbosa game has been ugly. What a s***ty field they are playing on too.

I wish I could have watched. You always here about the lesser teams messing up the pitch to even the playing field. I wanted to see how bad it could be to make a 7 goal difference.

Very happy Italy are out, don't deserve to win major tournaments when you play a style like that.

And if Russia play as they did yesterday, they can beat Spain. Needs to be an open, flee flowing game though, and they HAVE to improve their set piece defending.

The referee in the Italy-Spain game yesterday was awful. I'm glad Spain won on PK's b/c there is no way Italy deserved to win that game. Spain is fun to watch in the middle and up front. Hopefully they start Fabregas next game for someone in the midfield (someone other than Silva or Senna that is, I thought they had good games)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
The referee in the Italy-Spain game yesterday was awful. I'm glad Spain won on PK's b/c there is no way Italy deserved to win that game. Spain is fun to watch in the middle and up front. Hopefully they start Fabregas next game for someone in the midfield (someone other than Silva or Senna that is, I thought they had good games)

Fabregas is a playmaker, and substituting Senna for him hurts their defense, especially in the midfield. Silva did a lot of good things for Spain against Italy, but just they just couldn't convert it into a goal. Fabregas for Silva might not be bad, but apparently David Villa and David Silva have a really good relationship on the field, so thats why Aragones has gone with them. I think if anyone, he should switch out Iniesta for Cesc.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
Oh how are Turkey not leading at half time!!!!!

Jens Lehmann looks terrible in goal so far for the Germans.

C'mon Turkey!!!

I'm following the game and by the sounds of it it seems Turkey is taking it to the Germans and are unlucky to be tied at half. Definitely a surprising first half. Too bad CKR drove one off the crossbar.

Here's to hoping Turkey can pull another one off.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

That was incredible. Germany scored in I believe the 79th or 80th minute to take the lead, but in a case of Turkey being Turkey, they somehow score just a few minutes later in the 86th to tie it. Then, Germany takes the lead back 3-2 just a few seconds before regular time expired. I have no idea how long extra time was or if Turkey had any chances because ESPN (and apparently, everybody in the world) lost the feed due to lightning in Switzerland, but Germany did indeed win 3-2. Turkey was incredible all tournament (especially with the late goals in every game except the 1st one) and probably deserved a better fate in this game with how they played. Some HORRIBLE goalkeeping on both sides today though, Germany will get beat by Russia or Spain if Lehmann doesn't get his s*** together.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Fabregas is beautiful to watch when in form like that.

My question is, with Villa out, do Spain go 4-5-1 with Fabregas the 3rd CM, or do they stick with 4-4-2 and use David Guiza as the 2nd striker alongside Fernando Torres?

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jun 27, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
Fabregas is beautiful to watch when in form like that.

My question is, with Villa out, do Spain go 4-5-1 with Fabregas the 3rd CM, or do they stick with 4-4-2 and use David Guiza as the 2nd striker alongside Fernando Torres?

Apparently Guiza is a guy they like a ton, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in there.

Torres should have had 2, that ball that hit the post was just terrible luck. The interesting thing about that game though was, for all the offensive skill Spain has, they won today with defense. Germany had very few chances, and when they did get some (ticky tack IMO) free kicks, they never really came close to scoring. Spain was the only team to win every game, and they were the best team in this from start to finish and deserved the trophy. Finally eliminated all of those demons for good.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Yeah Spain's midfield won them this game. Totally dominated possesion with Senna and Xavi running the show.

And with Klose being woefully out of form, Germany didn't have anything going in attack for the times they had the ball near goal. Deserved win for Spain.

I'll repost this from SSS for anyone interested. Just as a bit of background, I'm in Strasbourg right now -- I'm taking a two-week summer class here learning about the EU.

There was actually rioting outside of my apartment. Two German fans walked by through a HUGE crowd of Espana fans and… well… as Hawk would say, “that’s trouble”. If I’m intelligent enough to get the two low quality videos up on the internet in the next two days I will do so. It’s the craziest spectacle I’ve ever witnessed.

Also, I said above that it was a majority of bitter France fans who were rooting against the Germans [in an earlier post]. That was completely wrong. It was all Spanish fans. As I said, it’s the craziest spectacle I’ve ever witnessed… they were tipping cars, chanting, going absolutely berserk. I’m glad I hauled my ass out of bed to go see it.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
Why did this cup get so much covergae this year? Is it me, or did it seem to be everywhere?

Because it's the 2nd biggest tournament in the world after the World Cup and also because ESPN had the rights to cover the tourney.