Euro 2008

I was at ESPN Zone at Times square on Sunday checking out the Cazech Republic vs. Turkey game. Lots of Turkish supporters around, so safe to say, the place went nuts in the last 15 mins.

I had Sweden and Turkey in a sweep, so my support is behind the Turks right now.

I like the winner of Germany vs. Portugal to end up winning the tournament.

Spain vs. Italy will be an absolute cracker as well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 19, 2008 -> 01:13 PM)
Not a soccer buff but have had it on in the background and check scores.

Did I see that USA beat Brazil a few days ago?

Yeah I was going to say the same thing.I figured it was probably the womens team or something.

Portugal laid an egg. Those teams from Iberia always do well until knockout stages in tournaments.

That being said, Spain has looked REAL good so far and Italy has been meh. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of pressure Torres, David Villa, Xavi and Co. can put on the Italian 'D'. Buffon hasnt looked too great so far.

If I had to call it from here, I'd go with the Dutch though to win it all.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
The last two minutes + PKs of Croatia-Turkey was the best stretch of soccer I've ever seen.

Especially when u hav Turkey in a sweep. Gotta feel sorry for Croatia though.

The Dutch/Russian match was great again. I have always watched Euro Cup and World Cup, but this tournament is unlike any other soccer tournament I've ever seen, just outstanding stuff. Hopefully my heritage does itself proud later today and the Italians advance. If Italy wins, all four group winners would be out in the quarterfinals, crazy stuff.

Italy played great defense, but you can't just sit back and wait for penalty kicks after a nil-nil game. That's bad strategy unless the opposing team is way better than you, and Spain isn't THAT much better than Italy. I know Italy's entire soccer history is based upon solid defense, but if you rely on the luck of the draw senario that is penalty kicks, you are going to get burned sometimes. It would be a major upset if anybody but Germany wins this tournament now IMO. Spain plays so similar to their neighbors in Portugal, so I wouldn't like their chances defending the Germans if they play in the finals, just as Portugal couldn't. And although Turkey and Russia have played very well, I just can't see them doing much more in this tournament. Germany should destroy Turkey in fact (can Turkey even field a full team between injuries/cards?), although Russia/Spain could actually be a very good game.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Germany should definately cruise through the Turks, but I must say that Russia impressed the hell out of me against the Netherlands. If they play like that they could give Spain a run for there money and while they have limited experience if they meet up with Germany you never know (Russia is a very fast/athletic squad).