Official 2008-2009 College Football Thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
Michigan will be better than 5-7, guaranteed. 7-5 is more like it.

They'll be interesting to watch on offense, but they'll be in every game. They'll also be better conditioned than ever (and every other team) in the 4th quarter.

Every other team huh? I guess Dick Rod came in and invented the best conditioning program ever!!!!!!!!! Nobody has EVER seen a program like this!!!!!! Write it in the papers and our fans will BELIEVE!!!!

Come on, they are what they are. A rebuilding team, with a chance to upset some teams at one point or another during the season.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:01 AM)
I really don't care either way who wins the USC-OSU game, but I do know it's gonna be a hell of a game to watch. Can't wait for it. I do think it will be a lot closer than most people believe.

Oh, and I don't think you'll see a SEC team in the National Championship. Not b/c they don't have a good enough team, but rather b/c they have too many really good teams. I think it will be near impossible for 1 team to go through its entire SEC schedule without losing. But, the best team in the country this season will be a SEC school.

There will be an SEC team there, the media loves to talka about how the SEC is better than the NFL, and the polls will reflect that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
Every other team huh? I guess Dick Rod came in and invented the best conditioning program ever!!!!!!!!! Nobody has EVER seen a program like this!!!!!! Write it in the papers and our fans will BELIEVE!!!!

Come on, they are what they are. A rebuilding team, with a chance to upset some teams at one point or another during the season.

I admit I did chuckle at the "they'll be better conditioned than everybody else" part of the post. Reminds of Charlie Weis's ill fated "you will have a tactical advantage every game" comment when he got to Notre Dame.

As for Joe McKnight, I am skeptical of him. I was awfully impressed by USC last year in the Rose Bowl, but as for McKnight, his best play was a byproduct of total luck on that bouncing lateral, and he was run down by Vontae Davis after he had about a 10 yard head start on him. He's certainly no Reggie Bush in terms of speed, that's for sure.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
I admit I did chuckle at the "they'll be better conditioned than everybody else" part of the post. Reminds of Charlie Weis's ill fated "you will have a tactical advantage every game" comment when he got to Notre Dame.

As for Joe McKnight, I am skeptical of him. I was awfully impressed by USC last year in the Rose Bowl, but as for McKnight, his best play was a byproduct of total luck on that bouncing lateral, and he was run down by Vontae Davis after he had about a 10 yard head start on him. He's certainly no Reggie Bush in terms of speed, that's for sure.

im just not as high on little animal as other OSU fans are. Beanie worked out twice a day every day this summer, in his practice pictures he looks stronger than last season. I would NOT like to be a DB trying to tackle him in the open field, if I could catch him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
im just not as high on little animal as other OSU fans are. Beanie worked out twice a day every day this summer, in his practice pictures he looks stronger than last season. I would NOT like to be a DB trying to tackle him in the open field, if I could catch him.

Beanie is unreal. As for Ohio State, I would be shocked if they don't go undefeated at home. Their season will come down to the games at USC, Wisconsin, and Illinois, because they would have to really lay an egg to lose any of their other 9 games. I don't think there is anyway they go to the national championship game unless they go undefeated though, because the people in power will do everything they can to keep Ohio State out of the title game after what happened the last two years.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
Beanie is unreal. As for Ohio State, I would be shocked if they don't go undefeated at home. Their season will come down to the games at USC, Wisconsin, and Illinois, because they would have to really lay an egg to lose any of their other 9 games. I don't think there is anyway they go to the national championship game unless they go undefeated though, because the people in power will do everything they can to keep Ohio State out of the title game after what happened the last two years.

They know thats what they have to do. Of course I dont know what was so bad about last year's game, they DID have more yards than LSU in the game, its not like it was a blowout, which SEC fans would love to make you believe.

Last year was about the craziest college football season ever.

If I could go out on a limb and pick one upset I'm taking Ohio University over OSU in Columbus on Sept 6th. The Buckeyes will be looking past the Bobcats towards USC the next week.

Hey - there is no glory in picking the favorite... in this case, the OVERWHLEMING favorite...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
They know thats what they have to do. Of course I dont know what was so bad about last year's game, they DID have more yards than LSU in the game, its not like it was a blowout, which SEC fans would love to make you believe.

That game was over halfway through the 3rd quarter when LSU made it 31-10. It wasn't a blowout, but LSU had total control of that game throughout the 2nd half. If tOSU doesn't turn it over 3 times and take a stupid roughing foul early in the 3rd when LSU punted, it would have been a totally different game, but that was how it went.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (easyw @ Aug 6, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)

If I could go out on a limb and pick one upset I'm taking Ohio University over OSU in Columbus on Sept 6th. The Buckeyes will be looking past the Bobcats towards USC the next week.

Hey - there is no glory in picking the favorite... in this case, the OVERWHLEMING favorite...

OU is awful, you have to pick a better upset than that. Ill pick Northwestern in Evanston just like several years ago, plus I'll be there which is usually good for OSU, but im due for a loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just going to throw out a name here: Me'co Brown. He's a true freshman running back on NIU from Mississippi, and friends of mine on the football team say he's a dead ringer for Garrett Wolfe when you watch him play in practice and scrimmages. Might be the next great NIU running back, and he's expected to be the punt and kick returner right away, as well as see some time on offense.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
I am just going to throw out a name here: Me'co Brown. He's a true freshman running back on NIU from Mississippi, and friends of mine on the football team say he's a dead ringer for Garrett Wolfe when you watch him play in practice and scrimmages. Might be the next great NIU running back, and he's expected to be the punt and kick returner right away, as well as see some time on offense.

Is Marcus Lewis gonna ever do anything for the Huskies?

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
Is Marcus Lewis gonna ever do anything for the Huskies?

Haven't heard his name much this offseason, so I am not sure how much impact he'll have this season. It's a new coaching staff so you never know in terms of playing time until the season starts. Not redshirting him was a big mistake in retrospect because four of the top receivers on the team are seniors and it'd be nice to have him back for 2009 and 2010 after all those guys are gone. Another problem for Lewis is the aforementioned Me'co Brown, as well as a true freshman from St. Louis named Tommy Davis, might see some time in the slot this year because they both have great speed. But we'll see, I think Lewis has quite a bit of talent and with the spread looks and depth Coach Kill seems to like using, he should see time.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
Haven't heard his name much this offseason, so I am not sure how much impact he'll have this season. It's a new coaching staff so you never know in terms of playing time until the season starts. Not redshirting him was a big mistake in retrospect because four of the top receivers on the team are seniors and it'd be nice to have him back for 2009 and 2010 after all those guys are gone. Another problem for Lewis is the aforementioned Me'co Brown, as well as a true freshman from St. Louis named Tommy Davis, might see some time in the slot this year because they both have great speed.

Yeah, didn't he have like 2 catches his freshmen year? I heard he has had a lot of attitude problems as well. We went to my alma mater so I was curious.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
Yeah, didn't he have like 2 catches his freshmen year? I heard he has had a lot of attitude problems as well. We went to my alma mater so I was curious.

I've heard the same thing about his attitude. With the new coach though, bad attitudes are not something he tolerates. Combine that with the fact Lewis is talented and a junior, and I'd say pretty early on this season you'll be able to tell if he is going to ever contribute for the Huskies.

QUOTE (easyw @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 04:25 AM)

i'll be at that game.

i was also at the illinois game last year.

coincidence?...

Not that anyone cares here because we suck, but I really hope D'Vontrey Richardson gets the QB job. He was the sleeper behind Drew Weatherford and Christian Ponder. However, in practice he's been performing very well. Drew Weatherford is in his 4th year and still can't move the ball, Ponder has a sore throwing shoulder, and EJ Manuel is going to red-shirt. D'Vo provides some spark due to the fact he can throw and run. He also is a really good baseball player. However, he didn't play during his Sophomore season to focus on becoming the starting QB and I guess it could be paying off. Jimbo Fisher really likes him to so that helps.

In the end though, I bet Drew will start because he's a 4th year player despite not doing anything in the previous three years. Hopefully since our first two games are jokes, D'Vo will get to play and show what he's got.

This season could be rough though. I hope not, I can't take another s*** season.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Not that anyone cares here because we suck, but I really hope D'Vontrey Richardson gets the QB job. He was the sleeper behind Drew Weatherford and Christian Ponder. However, in practice he's been performing very well. Drew Weatherford is in his 4th year and still can't move the ball, Ponder has a sore throwing shoulder, and EJ Manuel is going to red-shirt. D'Vo provides some spark due to the fact he can throw and run. He also is a really good baseball player. However, he didn't play during his Sophomore season to focus on becoming the starting QB and I guess it could be paying off. Jimbo Fisher really likes him to so that helps.

In the end though, I bet Drew will start because he's a 4th year player despite not doing anything in the previous three years. Hopefully since our first two games are jokes, D'Vo will get to play and show what he's got.

This season could be rough though. I hope not, I can't take another s*** season.

problem is that Bowden has thing man crush on Weatherford for some reason. It's almost to the point where he knows exactly what Weatherford will give him and he's scared to take a chance on something new b/c it might take a few games for progress to be made.

Getting rid of Weatherford will just help speed up the getting better process at FSU. Kinda like us getting rid of Wright and Freeman. Just pisses me off that Marve got injured last year b/c we couldve started the new era a lot sooner.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
problem is that Bowden has thing man crush on Weatherford for some reason. It's almost to the point where he knows exactly what Weatherford will give him and he's scared to take a chance on something new b/c it might take a few games for progress to be made.

Getting rid of Weatherford will just help speed up the getting better process at FSU. Kinda like us getting rid of Wright and Freeman. Just pisses me off that Marve got injured last year b/c we couldve started the new era a lot sooner.

I know its not the truth, but they say Jimbo has full control on the QB situation. Unfortunately, we all know that's not true.

I'm pissed Marve got suspended for the first game. I pray that UM beats UF, but Marve being out only hurts, unless Jacory kicks ass (I don't really know much about him though). I do like Marve a lot though.