Healthcare reform

kapkomet

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
We could compare stories... My dad is on our version of socialized medicine in the USA as a veteran. Even after the national stories broke about how bad their care was, nothing has changed. As a matter of a fact I could detail the last month of run arounds he has had as he tries to find someone to do an operation that would usually be considered an emergency surgery. At the VA, he got sent home. This is the version of health care that was supposed to be what we should all aspire to...

If you talked to a lot of people on Soxtalk, all you'd hear is how great our VA care is...and I've seen MANY examples of this from many of those posting here already. No, I don't care to go back and mine for these posts with such claims, but they existed, and those of you who made them know who you are.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
Hey, that's great, I didn't say they provide no service. I asked what innovations we get out of a for-profit model of insurance. I don't see that really being answered there.

Actually, that's not what you asked at all.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 07:17 AM)
Hey kap, why does a for-profit insurance company benefit me? Explain it to me because I'm a dumb lib.

^^ That's what you asked, and it's what I answered.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
We could compare stories... My dad is on our version of socialized medicine in the USA as a veteran. Even after the national stories broke about how bad their care was, nothing has changed. As a matter of a fact I could detail the last month of run arounds he has had as he tries to find someone to do an operation that would usually be considered an emergency surgery. At the VA, he got sent home. This is the version of health care that was supposed to be what we should all aspire to...

I would hope that the VA will also benefit as we overhaul our medical system here. For my entire lifetime there have been complaints. I am optimistic this will be an area that will see some nice strides. But, I'm always optimistic about Americans tackling tough problems. We are much better that that than other countries.

• 2 months later...

Surprise: yet another study shows that the GOP solution of tort reform would have little to no impact.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/09/07...dered-after-all

2.4% of total spending.

Still, fixing the system won't be easy. A second study, whose lead author is William Thomas of the University of South Maine, found that while the practice of defensive medicine is widespread by doctors, "the incremental cost associated with this is very small. We found it to be less than one percent of the total cost managed by these physicians." Thus, savings to be gleaned from tort reform would be lower still. The study found the savings associated with a 10 percent reduction in medical malpractice premiums would be 0.132 percent.

Surprise: it's better then NO cost reductions that are what the current "reform" is. Just sayin'.

And, tort reform is only a very small part of the equation. But whatever, 200+ pages and a whole forum have only told us that government is the only solution to everything.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
Surprise: it's better then NO cost reductions that are what the current "reform" is. Just sayin'.

Not if it comes at the expense of legitimate recompense for victims of malpractice. We're talking fractions of a percent of cost savings.

And, tort reform is only a very small part of the equation. But whatever, 200+ pages and a whole forum have only told us that government is the only solution to everything.

Tort reform was a big part of the GOP plan. The other part was the "race to the bottom" sell across state lines idea. Those two items formed the backbone of the GOP plan.

• 3 months later...