Deer hunters....

Heads22

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 01:17 AM)
For those of you that hunt deer (maybe just Slav and I?), if you take your deer into get processed, what's your favorite stuff to get?

Currently eating some jalapeño deer sticks that are just f***ing awesome.

You can send all the backstrap to me . . . ;)

I am off the lease I had been hunting on and looking for another that will not be too expensive. Y'all up north do not know how lucky you are. Instead of helping farmers by controlling the herd, down here the deer are more valuable than the crops. So we actually buy feed corn to fatten them up before harvesting and pay several thousand to get on a decent lease.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 01:17 AM)
For those of you that hunt deer (maybe just Slav and I?), if you take your deer into get processed, what's your favorite stuff to get?

Currently eating some jalapeño deer sticks that are just f***ing awesome.

Dude, you need to learn how to process that yourself. No use in paying people to cut your meat when you can do it yourself.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)

I am off the lease I had been hunting on and looking for another that will not be too expensive. Y'all up north do not know how lucky you are. Instead of helping farmers by controlling the herd, down here the deer are more valuable than the crops. So we actually buy feed corn to fatten them up before harvesting and pay several thousand to get on a decent lease.

First of all, a freezer full of backstrap is my dream. Second, my other dream is to hunt on a ranch down in Texas. When I get older, I'm going to take my dad down there for a week long trip or so. I've watched way too many hunting shows and the racks on the deer down there are insane.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
Dude, you need to learn how to process that yourself. No use in paying people to cut your meat when you can do it yourself.

First of all, a freezer full of backstrap is my dream. Second, my other dream is to hunt on a ranch down in Texas. When I get older, I'm going to take my dad down there for a week long trip or so. I've watched way too many hunting shows and the racks on the deer down there are insane.

The ranch hunts down here are crazy, depending on the ranch. Generally a lease will get you all the hogs you want to take; and specific restrictions on the deer. Most of the better leases try hard to manage the herd. Texas does not allow gathering the herd and transporting deer from one area to the other for biological diversity. So the choices become high fence and keep your deer yours, or low fence and allow them to jump from ranch to ranch.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)

I was just going to post about the backstrap being the best.

Otherwise, I like venison sausage. I had some with cheddar and jalapeno. I could have eaten it until I made myself sick.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
I was just going to post about the backstrap being the best.

Otherwise, I like venison sausage. I had some with cheddar and jalapeno. I could have eaten it until I made myself sick.

The sausage and jerky is where the shop really earns their pay. Almost anyone with decent butchering skills can process the prime cuts, it's handling the rest that really counts.