Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

Let's get the new season Hockey Thread started up.

The NHL Draft is on tonight. There was a Daily Herald article with Dale Tallon saying he's likely to take a center with the 28th pick, if not a defenseman.

Also big rumors about Vinny Lecavier going to Montreal and Dany Heatley getting shopped around before his July 1 bonus kicks in.

And hopefully Marty Havlat can get signed soon enough as it seems discussions are going fairly well ATM.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that's high for the first couple years, at least. Off that, what does Steeger and Barker get? I don't see how you sign TKK for 6 or so each with contracts like that out there. We're going to lose Keith (or someone else, at least) when all is said and done. I like Bolland's game a lot, but I don't know how the hell Tallon is going to make this work. My guess is, he won't or won't be around to figure that out.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
Man that's high for the first couple years, at least. Off that, what does Steeger and Barker get? I don't see how you sign TKK for 6 or so each with contracts like that out there. We're going to lose Keith (or someone else, at least) when all is said and done. I like Bolland's game a lot, but I don't know how the hell Tallon is going to make this work. My guess is, he won't or won't be around to figure that out.

I think you will end up seeing Barker being shipped somewhere....

Hawks select Dylan Olsen in the 1st round : D 6'2 206

History

2007-08: Olsen played for the Camrose Kodiaks of the AJHL. He appeared in 49 games for the Kodiaks, scoring eight goals and 16 assists while picking up 45 penalty minutes. Olsen was a driving force in the Kodiaks championship season.

2008-09: Olsen again played for the AJHL's Camrose Kodiaks. In 53 games for that club, he scored 10 goals and added 19 assists while racking up 123 penalty minutes. Olsen also played for Team Canada West in the 2008 World Junior A Challenge, picking up one goal and four assists in five games. In addition, he starred for Team Canada at the Under-18 World Junior Championships, scoring two goals and two assists while adding 14 penalty minutes in six games.

Talent Analysis

Had the ability to take over games from the back end for the Camrose Kodiaks this season. Skates well for a big man. He isn't punishing physical but can over power the opposition when the need arises. Skates well and has shown the ability to move the puck on the rush. Was effective on the power-play this season but in order to be effect on the man advantage at the next level he will need to continue to develop his offensive instincts. Has a hard, accurate shot from the point. Played a lot of hockey in his draft year as he saw time at the World Under 18's, World Jr. A Challenge and the AJHL All-Star Game. His WHL rights belong to the Medicine Hat and some believe Tiger's Coach Willie Desjardins will go after him hard and possibly use a spot on the Junior National team as a selling point.

Future

Olsen has committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth.

Edited by Sec101Row1

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)

Tallon has done quite a job of overvaluing or overpaying players so far.

Soup, Huet, Sopel and now Bolland. I love Dave Bolland and think he will be a very solid 2nd center. I just think that giving him this big of a deal after one good year is a bit much.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
Tallon has done quite a job of overvaluing or overpaying players so far.

Soup, Huet, Sopel and now Bolland. I love Dave Bolland and think he will be a very solid 2nd center. I just think that giving him this big of a deal after one good year is a bit much.

How dare you forget Buff! :lolhitting

He was good in the playoffs. Will we get that during the season, and the next playoffs, and so on? Because right now it's still very, very questionable.

Edited by IlliniKrush

What is Jerry Reinsdorf up to, on Friday 6/26 he offered $148 Million to buy the Phoenix Coyotes. Being the owner of the Sox since 1981 and the Bulls since 1985, I find this odd that he suddenly has the urge to buy a hockey franchise. And with the addition of Camelback Ranch it seems like a bit much for a 73 year old. I wonder if the the sale of the Sox/Bulls is coming soon. I mean who else owns 3 major sports teams ?

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
What is Jerry Reinsdorf up to, on Friday 6/26 he offered $148 Million to buy the Phoenix Coyotes. Being the owner of the Sox since 1981 and the Bulls since 1985, I find this odd that he suddenly has the urge to buy a hockey franchise. And with the addition of Camelback Ranch it seems like a bit much for a 73 year old. I wonder if the the sale of the Sox/Bulls is coming soon. I mean who else owns 3 major sports teams ?

He bid $65 million less than the group that wanted to move them to Ontario. He is looking for a bargain, just like he got in the Bulls and Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 05:23 AM)
He bid $65 million less than the group that wanted to move them to Ontario. He is looking for a bargain, just like he got in the Bulls and Sox.

Unless they can re-negotiate that lease with the arena though, that franchise is gonna keep losing a LOT of money going forward.

If it's for a 1 year deal I wouldn't mind it, but I'd be talking to the Caps and be seeing if I could dump Huet's contract on them (and yes I was a proponent for signing him last year and looked how that worked out), and then re-signing Khabby.

I think either Crawford or Niemi needs to be the backup this season.

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)

what would be his ownership stake in the Coyotes? He's not a majority holder of either the Sox or Bulls, so maybe he wants a team where he is the majority owner