White Sox Interested in Trading Fields for Pie

Chisoxfn

By Jason Gage

Bruce Levine is reporting that Ken Williams is seeking a top-flight defensive outfielder for the pennant race and that one of those options is former Cubs phenom Felix Pie. Evidently the Sox have been scouting Pie for over six weeks and the Tribune's Mark Gonzalez is further substantiating the rumor, indicating on Wednesday, that the White Sox, will try to trade recently demoted infielder Josh Fields for Pie. Continue Reading

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with this. Both, IIRC, Pie and Fields are out of options and need to stick with the major league club or be waived. Pie, even with his weak bat, could be as valuable as Wise + has some upside. Pie has to have more value than Fields, at this point. At least the sox could work with him in the cages and see if something is fixable. Fields is a lost cause.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
Isn't he pretty much another Jerry Owens??

He has far more potential than that. He was clearly a victim of the Cub (over)hype machine and has done little in Baltimore to excite, but his ceiling is far greater than Owens, in nearly every facet of the game.

I'd rather take a shot at Pie for Fields than another aging, slow-footed, limited dimensional player who is beyond his prime.

By the Numbers:

Felix Pie, 24, is batting .233 with a .652 OPS in 58 games with the Oriole's this season. The numbers trend ever closely to his career .226 avg and .627 OPS which he has put up during three partial seasons in the majors (188 games). So you might ask why? Well, we know all about Pie's tools (Wiry Power, Quick Hands, Speed, and Arm), but Pie also posted a .299 avg and .825 OPS over the course of 7 minor league seasons despite consistently being one of the youngest players at each level.

SN Take:

While Sox fans probably the shudder the thought of this move, but Pie does make a lot of sense. Ozzie has continued to state how he would like to add speed to his team and Pie is a guy that has the upside of an everyday centerfielder who can play above average defensive and the downside of a versatile bench player that with the proper coaching can be used in multiple ways off the bench (Defensive Replacement, Pinch-Runner, Pinch-Bunter, etc). That down-side (ie, versatile bench-player) would be an immediate asset to the major league team and help the Sox down the stretch. Add in the fact that Pie might replace perfect game hero Dwyane Wise on the roster and you have every reason to get on board the Felix Pie band-wagon.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
Isn't he pretty much another Jerry Owens??

Owens never showed the power potential Pie has. Pie is just 24 years old so it isn't a bad idea. I still think a bigger deal happens and the Sox add Pie as the defensive outfielder (with the upside of developing into a starter) and George Sherrill.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)

By Jason Gage

Bruce Levine is reporting that Ken Williams is seeking a top-flight defensive outfielder for the pennant race Continue Reading

Hmm... it's too bad Brian Anderson wasn't a top-flight defensive outfielder, otherwise we could have just filled that need internally...

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
Brian asked to be traded.

He asked to be traded b/c he was sent down thanks to a terrible decision by KW. If he wasn't sent down, he doesn't ask to be traded. Then KW has the top-flight defender he's looking for now without trading our 1st round draft pick.

Edited by Special K

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Hmm... it's too bad Brian Anderson wasn't a top-flight defensive outfielder, otherwise we could have just filled that need internally...

Brian wanted out. He made it clear that he didn't want to be here and wanted a chance to go elsewhere. He had been voicing that internally for a long time.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
He asked to be traded b/c he was sent down thanks to a terrible decision by KW. If he wasn't sent down, he doesn't ask to be traded. Then KW has the top-flight defender he's looking for now without trading our 1st round draft pick.

Why was it a terrible decision? Brian, as the 4th OF, can't steal a base like Wise can (occasionally) and that's what was needed at the time a decision had to be made. Brian is a AAAA player; I for one am not going to lose sleep because he's not here.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
If we do get Pie, I'm pronouncing his name as the food.

Also, how awesome would it be if he pans out for us and makes the cubs look foolish?

I think it would be awesome. The guy has talent. He, like Viciedo, was a 20 year old in AA only his OPS was 250 pts. higher than Viciedo. As a 22 year old he hit .362 in AAA with power. He's only 24 and a plus defender. He may never pan out, but he's worth the gamble.

If Pie had been a White Sox prospect, he would have been the hottest thing on this board for a couple of years a few years ago. His struggles in the majors would have been proof positive Greg Walker should be fired.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
Why was it a terrible decision? Brian, as the 4th OF, can't steal a base like Wise can (occasionally) and that's what was needed at the time a decision had to be made. Brian is a AAAA player; I for one am not going to lose sleep because he's not here.

Anderson has the same amount of stolen bases as does Wise and despite his bad average, bad ops, bad slugging %, and bad OBP, he IS STILL BETTER than Wise. Anderson also has much bettter defensive skills.

This was the dumbeset of moves. No it's not going to make or break the Sox, but I see no logic in keeping Wise over Anderson. None. Wise may be the games current worst player.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)

OK, say the Sox trade Fields for Pie. Do you think BA has more upside than Pie? Personally, I'd say Pie has more upside and has a better chance of figuring things out than BA.

So basically, it would mean replacing BA and Wise on the roster with Pie and Kotsay. IMO, Pie has more upside than BA, and Kotsay is the better vet.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
I'd like to see Pie reach a little of his enormous potential, but I think Fields would be more useful as part of a package in a bigger trade. Of course, we might want to wait to see how Alexei's ankle is doing.

But do you honestly think he carries much value anymore? At the end of 2007 was the time to trade him. Not that I wanted him traded, but his value has just dropped off a cliff since then.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
But do you honestly think he carries much value anymore? At the end of 2007 was the time to trade him. Not that I wanted him traded, but his value has just dropped off a cliff since then.

He doesn't have much value by himself, but fathom is probably right in the sense he could be a decent piece in a package for a bigger trade.