Wireless help

Middle Buffalo

I was set up by geeksquad several years ago, but never really had a use for wireless. I have the original ssid, wpa network key, channel, broadcast, router name and password, but I don't know how to connect.

I've tried with a wii and kindle fire, and the ssid shows up, but my password doesn't work.

Any idea how to reset my password?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 25, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
I was set up by geeksquad several years ago, but never really had a use for wireless. I have the original ssid, wpa network key, channel, broadcast, router name and password, but I don't know how to connect.

I've tried with a wii and kindle fire, and the ssid shows up, but my password doesn't work.

Any idea how to reset my password?

There's a reset button on the router. It's one of those small pin holes, you're going to need a sharp pen or paper clip to press it. Once you get a press of it, hold the press for like 10 seconds. The router will reset to factory settings. The default password and user name should be on the router. If not, look up the router's model on Google and you should be able to find it.

I tried everything I could understand that I found on the amazon forum. I reset my Netgear WPN824 v2 router (pressing the little button on back) and password. I managed to knock myself off-line in the process. I can't even remember what I did to reconnect, but I finally did. I tried all of the powering on and off of the kindle fire and router and computer, etc. Nothing worked. I took off the router security, and the kindle fire worked, but I think that kind of defeats the purpose of having network security. I called the amazon 866 number, and that didn't help. The cs representative basically told me my problem was with the router.

I knew that I was typing in my password correctly, but in my conversation with the amazon rep, he asked if my password had any special characters or symbols (it didn't, just letters and numbers), but I decided to change my password again. This time only letters. And it worked.

He also mentioned that the security settings should be wpa-psk or wpa-psk2 [AES] - not [TKIP]. Again, I don't understand what that means, but I made sure my security was set to wpa-psk2[AES] and made my password all lowercase letters, and it worked.

My son just got the xbox connected.

I think I may have a future in IT. I'll be hanging around this forum answering questions for the next several hours.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
To save yourself some headaches later, post all your passwords here so we can help you

I am glad you got everything working.

I think that's a more heartfelt thanks than I got from my kids when I finally figured things out. Aahhh, the joys of parenting. I look down on anyone with less understanding of computers/tech than me.

The worst part of the show Password or Super Password was that they would whisper the word to the viewer. "The password is...." What was the point of watching that show?

I am not certain if it is technology has gotten more fool proof or changes faster, but it seems as soon as I master fixing one problem, it stops being a problem and something new takes its place. An example is when my home network needed a little tweaking. It had been working fine for three years. They changed everything in those three years. I haven't built a pc in ten years, I am helping my son, and probably have less of a clue than he does. I'm reduced to that sad little confirmation that gives him the confidence to go ahead. Something as simple as thermal grease on the CPU's heatsink. Now it is preapplied at the factory.

And why haven't they standardized front panel connections to MOBOs yet?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
I am not certain if it is technology has gotten more fool proof or changes faster, but it seems as soon as I master fixing one problem, it stops being a problem and something new takes its place. Blah blah blah blah! Something as simple as thermal grease on the CPU's heatsink. Now it is preapplied at the factory.

And why haven't they standardized front panel connections to MOBOs yet?

:huh No idea what any of that means. And like Milton Berle, Tex whips out just enough to win. http://www.joshparry.com/deathpool/miltonberle.html

Edited by Middle Buffalo

• 3 weeks later...

Geek Squad does something in the settings that causes problems. My parents had them set up their wireless in Arizona and everytime they came back to Chicago and than went back to AZ, they always had problems reconnecting.