Tablet Buying

Jake

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
I think a lot of people have liked the surface. The problem is, where do you go to even take a look at one? They are only in Microsoft stores and online. I'm not spending that type of cash when I can't even try the thing out at all.

Also, their app store is still lacking. It will get much better because it is Windows, but still needs more apps.

I actually played around with one, and it was disturbingly laggy. I really like the windows 8 on the lumia. But on a bigger device that I want to do more I found it frustrating.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)
I actually played around with one, and it was disturbingly laggy. I really like the windows 8 on the lumia. But on a bigger device that I want to do more I found it frustrating.

Just curious, was it before or after they released a patch on November 13. It was supposed to address that very issue:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57549437...ks-performance/

I have the Asus Infinty.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TF700T-B1-GR-10...y/dp/B008F4NL04

It's been great for me, mostly using it for gaming, web surfing and movies/tv shows on planes. My only real complaint is that flash freezes up the browser more often than I would like. My android phone has the same sorts of issues, but it just doesn't feel like it happens as often.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
If I go for Nexus 7 (price concerns), what do I lose from the 10 inch models like Nexus 10, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, ASUS, etc other than size?

That's pretty much it. The Nexus 7 is a wonderful little device. I'm going for a larger tablet because I want more screen for NBA League Pass and at the gym.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
If I go for Nexus 7 (price concerns), what do I lose from the 10 inch models like Nexus 10, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, ASUS, etc other than size?

The size difference is quite drastic actually, but if that's not your concern, Nexus 7 is great.

Ugh, just can't decide between the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and the Asus TF300.

Asus has the processor and camera, and that's about it. But the processor is a big thing to have.

EDIT: After more and more research, it's gotta be the Asus at $280.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
If you guys are wondering, I got the Asus. I'll be happy to explain my choice if anyone is still up in the air.

I apparently will have the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 under the xmas tree, now I have to wait. Let me know what you think of the ASUS. I played with a transformer over the weekend and the screen was so-so.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
I apparently will have the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 under the xmas tree, now I have to wait. Let me know what you think of the ASUS. I played with a transformer over the weekend and the screen was so-so.

I hope it's alright. I haven't played too much -- I didn't notice much of a tactile difference between the screens, but as expected the Samsung looks better. I bit on the Tegra processor and I liked Asus's reputation on putting out OS updates. If the s*** don't work, I'll be tearing it a new ass everywhere I can :)

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 24, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
I hope it's alright. I haven't played too much -- I didn't notice much of a tactile difference between the screens, but as expected the Samsung looks better. I bit on the Tegra processor and I liked Asus's reputation on putting out OS updates. If the s*** don't work, I'll be tearing it a new ass everywhere I can :)

Given I'll likely hack mine the second I get it, the OS updates weren't exactly a huge deal! ;)

• 1 month later...