Deep Throat

AddisonStSox

Ex-FBI official says he's 'Deep Throat'

Magazine quotes him as saying he was 'doing his duty'

MSNBC

Updated: 11:41 a.m. ET May 31, 2005

W. Mark Felt, who retired from the FBI after rising to its second most senior position, has identified himself as the "Deep Throat" source quoted by The Washington Post to break the Watergate scandal that led to President Nixon's resignation, Vanity Fair magazine said Tuesday.

advertisement

"I'm the guy they used to call Deep Throat," he told John D. O'Connor, the author of Vanity Fair's exclusive that appears in its July issue.

Felt, now 91 and living in Santa Rosa, Calif. reportedly gave O'Connor permission to disclose his identity.

"The Felt family cooperated fully, providing old photographs for the story and agreeing to sit for portraits," Vanity Fair stated in a press release.

Felt said he was "only doing his duty" and did not seek to bring down Nixon over the cover-up of a break-in at Democratic Party offices in the Watergate complex in Washington, D.C.

© 2005 MSNBC Interactive

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8047258/

QUOTE(56789 @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
Where you searching "deep throat" on google and found this story and decided to post it?  :P

I've been researching Deep Throat and following the research at my university for a year now. This is not the name my school came up with and it will be awfully interesting to see what transpires.

This man, Felt, is not the name my university came up with, Fielding.

This could be the news story of the year.

http://www.comm.uiuc.edu/spike/deepthroat/

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 31, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
I've been researching Deep Throat and following the research at my university for a year now.  This is not the name my school came up with and it will be awfully interesting to see what transpires.

This man, Felt, is not the name my university came up with, Fielding.

This could be the news story of the year.

http://www.comm.uiuc.edu/spike/deepthroat/

Keep us posted on what the prof says, if you don't mind Addy. I am curious how this develops.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ May 31, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Please excuse me, I'm a youngin.  Does this sound legit?  I was thinking that Woodward was going to say something when Deep Throat died.  Guess Deep Throat beat him to the punch.

I have an email in to Prof. Gaines, but, I really don't know what to make of this.

Although this is a name we've come across in some research, I have a hard time believing the man is not Fred Fielding.

Remember: Woodward was told he could reveal his source after Deep Throat died. Clearly, this man is not dead.

Sorry, but my mind is a big haze right now, I've had my whole world turned on end. :P

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
I have an email in to Prof. Gaines, but, I really don't know what to make of this.

Although this is a name we've come across in some research, I have a hard time believing the man is not Fred Fielding. 

Remember: Woodward was told he could reveal his source after Deep Throat died.  Clearly, this man is not dead.

Sorry, but my mind is a big haze right now, I've had my whole world turned on end. :P

Shocking. I always though Deep Throat was Hal Holbrook.

Vanity Fair actually is more than a fashion mag--they do a lot of cultural and political stuff.

I subscribe and I'm not shocked that it's in there. And I look forward to that article. :)

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ May 31, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
Vanity Fair actually is more than a fashion mag--they do a lot of cultural and political stuff.

I subscribe and I'm not shocked that it's in there. And I look forward to that article. :)

I've never read it. Only knew it to be a fashion mag. As a subscriber, I'll obviously take your word over mine. :cheers

Funny that Felt wasn't even in Gaines' final list of seven possible Deep Throats. Also funny that Bernstein's 11 year old kid just blurts out that Felt is Deep Throat at a summer camp, and then 8 years later it turns out he was right.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

With Woodward confirming it, questions are starting to arise. This was from a CNN.com article.

Some convinced, some still doubt

The news was not surprising to some observers.

"I am highly persuaded that this is the fellow," said former Nixon White House adviser David Gergen, who added that secondary questions remain. "Why in the world did he do it? What was behind it? And why now?"

Still, one prominent Watergate figure expressed misgivings. "I've got grave doubts about the story," said the figure, who asked not to be identified.

"The guy might think he's Throat, but if he is, it raises some serious questions about Woodward's journalism.

"There's a tremendous amount of information that Throat gives Woodward that's wrong. Felt, in a piece in the Atlantic recently, denied he was Throat, and he said that had he been Deep Throat, he would have had better information."

"Also, the info that Throat is giving to Woodward at the end of Watergate is not information that Felt would have had access to at the FBI. I don't think he was at the FBI at that time. It's possible he could have gotten access, but I don't think he did.

"Plus, I gather that Woodward and Bernstein have refused to comment on the [Vanity Fair] reports. But that doesn't make sense -- if Felt is Throat, then wouldn't he have been able to release Woodward and Bernstein from their confidentiality agreement? Why wouldn't he?

"Wouldn't they have all talked beforehand about this interview he was doing with the magazine?"

Keep in mind that along with Deep Throat were dozens of other Washington insiders, White House staffers, political operatives, spouses, girlfriends, janitors, and others who provided information. Many times Deep Throat was called on to confirm information.

I remember at one time an article that concluded the source must have been in the FBI and pissed about Hoover's replacement. I do not remember whose name they proposed. I can't ever recall Felt's name coming up.

I doubt this story would have panned out today. Too much trash journalism and talk shows would have shouted down the story.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
I am too young so can someone give me an overview???

Deep Throat was the guy who leaked info on the Watergate scandal to Washington Post writers Woodward and Bernstein. Until today, the identity of Deep Throat was only known by Woodward, Bernstein and Post editor Ben Bradlee.

It's a pretty involved story. For more info, rent "All the President's Men". Its based on a book that both Woodward and Bernstein wrote. Its an amazing move and basically tells you most of what you need to know about the situation (IMO).