Micah Schnurstein

Robert Valido

Outfielders

Cory Aldridge

Tom Collaro

Ricardo Nanita

Sean Smith

Edited by BamaJason

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
Nice to see they didn't push Gio to AAA.

I imagine he'll end the season in AAA if everything goes well.

I'm just hoping his improvements for this season make it possible to be seriously considered as a starting candidate in 2008. Russell as well.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
I imagine he'll end the season in AAA if everything goes well.

I'm just hoping his improvements for this season make it possible to be seriously considered as a starting candidate in 2008. Russell as well.

Unless things have changed Russell is viewed as a reliever. I was slightly surprised to see him in AA again. With a good spring and a possible move to the pen you'd think they could push him to Charlotte after 10 starts in Bham last year.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
Unless things have changed Russell is viewed as a reliever. I was slightly surprised to see him in AA again. With a good spring and a possible move to the pen you'd think they could push him to Charlotte after 10 starts in Bham last year.

Even if the organization views Russell as a potential reliever, I wouldn't see the problem in allowing him an opportunity to start in Birmingham. Atleast have an idea after ~150IP in AA whether his future rests in a starting rotation.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
AA and AAA both look to have really good teams this year... at least there is some good news!

Maybe I have not been following closely enough, but that lineup doesn't look to me like it will be able to hit itself out of a wet paper bag.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 05:15 AM)
Maybe I have not been following closely enough, but that lineup doesn't look to me like it will be able to hit itself out of a wet paper bag.

I was going to say... That lineup looks really weak. When Chris Getz is your best hitting 'prospect' (Valido? Lucy?), you're not a very strong offensive group

The infield could be pretty good, Getz and Valido should both be potent hitters at the top of the lineup and Micah Schurstein or however you spell it should hit the ball fairly well in that park too.

And we have a couple OF's that have a chance to get promoted sometime this season that would add some pop to that lineup. In the meantime the rotation should keep things interesting for them.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
And we have a couple OF's that have a chance to get promoted sometime this season that would add some pop to that lineup. In the meantime the rotation should keep things interesting for them.

Which OFs, aside from Cunningham, do you believe have a chance for promotion?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 05:57 AM)
Which OFs, aside from Cunningham, do you believe have a chance for promotion?

we have a pair of brazilians one being anderson gomes and cant remember the other ones name who from all i have heard are oozing with talent even with the lack of production they put forth last season. Than I could of swore there was someone else, not Sanchez, that could have a good season.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)

I think that was the perception but I think this spring changed everything. He worked with Contreras, started throwing from various arm angles and was able to keep his plus velocity and add a lot more movement to his heater. Overall I think of all players, no one's stock rose more than Russel's. A close second would obviously be Danks (but his stock was already high, he just surprised people by earning the job a bit sooner) as well as Robert Valido (who looked very good yet again this spring, at least in the games I saw).

I would be surprised if Honel is in the rotation. I'd imagine the pen is a more likely spot for him now.

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
What'd the rotation look like?

Gonzalez

Russell

Egbert

Honel

Whisler?

Vazquez?

...and i assume Day will close?

I had to leave after the 5th inning, but the Barons were ahead 3-1, mostly by capitalizing on errors made in the field. As of the 5th inning the rotation was Whisler, Day, Bittner.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)
we have a pair of brazilians one being anderson gomes and cant remember the other ones name who from all i have heard are oozing with talent even with the lack of production they put forth last season. Than I could of swore there was someone else, not Sanchez, that could have a good season.

Paulo Orlando is the other Brazilian.

Cunningham has atleast shown himself capable of handing A-level pitching. Gomes and Orlando, judging from the stats, appear a ways off.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:28 AM)
I love how Tizzle waited until Danks got rocked to start a watch on him.

lol, trust me -- that's pure coincidence. I thought it'd be more appropriate to have both pitchers compared side by side since both will be pitching in the majors. Earlier, when I first created it, Danks wasn't our 5th starter.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:09 AM)
If Valido can stay healthy, i can see him just exploding this season. It would nice to see both him and Getz leading off for Charlotte sometime this year.

I hope you are right about Valido, because it seems to me our system is really weak up the middle (SS, 2B, C).

That said, Cunningham looks like he's got a chance to be a real good hitter. And I think Donny Lucy could turn into a major league catcher. But the pitching is definitely the strong point of that B-Ham roster.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
I hope you are right about Valido, because it seems to me our system is really weak up the middle (SS, 2B, C).

Yes -- it's scary weak up the middle. One of Valido and John Shelby need to step up this year, hopefully both.

On an unrelated note, I hope that by trading for Danks, the Sox will now have no fear of taking a Boras client in round one. I really would've been interested to see if Daniel Bard (I think it is?), the UNC pitcher fell to the Sox last year. He was just one spot away before the Sox picked -- the other Sox grabbed him, FWIW. He had some pretty easy looking heat in that College World Series. I remember seeing a whole page of curse-words on Soxtalk as the BoSox took him.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 07:40 AM)
Yes -- it's scary weak up the middle. One of Valido and John Shelby need to step up this year, hopefully both.

On an unrelated note, I hope that by trading for Danks, the Sox will now have no fear of taking a Boras client in round one. I really would've been interested to see if Daniel Bard (I think it is?), the UNC pitcher fell to the Sox last year. He was just one spot away before the Sox picked -- the other Sox grabbed him, FWIW. He had some pretty easy looking heat in that College World Series. I remember seeing a whole page of curse-words on Soxtalk as the BoSox took him.

Aside from Bard, the consensus selection for the White Sox appeared to be Pedro Beato.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...1&start=400

Interesting. Here's my own perspective on drafting McCulloch:

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
I'm convinced the White Sox purposely drafted a Lance Broadway clone just to irritate me. ;) Why didn't they take Pedro Beato? I'll be sure to follow Beato's progress through Baltimore's minor league system, as I have with Carrillo.

Can anyone tell me who Minnesota drafted? I'm guessing it's a hard throwing right hander with a plus slider who'll be dominating our lineup for years.

(sigh) He would have looked great in our system.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)
Aside from Bard, the consensus selection for the White Sox appeared to be Pedro Beato.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...1&start=400

Interesting. Here's my own perspective on drafting McCulloch:

(sigh) He would have looked great in our system.

Yeah, Beato sure seemed like a no-brainer. I think he's already popped up on some Top 100 lists (or some honorable menion list) -- more than McCollough can say. I remember Met fans being absolutely disgusted when they didn't sign him (IIRC, he was a D&F).

Then again -- after looking back through that thread -- I can't say McCollough was a 'bad' pick. I guess we'll have to see how hard he's throwing this year, but BA had him ranked in the top 20. Seemed like a slightly amped-up version of Broadway.

Edited by CWSGuy406