Everything posted by chw42
-
Rick Ankiel...
QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 07:47 PM) Jerry Owens was one of the worst defensive outfielders I've seen, and no stat is gonna convince me other wise. I said the exact same thing when I first saw the stat of Plus/Minus the very first time. It does have its flaws, but it's a lot less flawed than a lot of other defensive stats out there. Because seriously, what other stat are you going to use to prove that somebody good is on defense? Are you just going to tell the other person you're having a discussion with that I watch him everyday and he sucks? Trust me, I've tried that. But numbers ultimately tell the truth. http://www.fieldingbible.com/ - There's an overview of how they calculate the numbers and how they can prove that it does indeed work.
-
6/19 Sox @ Cin - 6:10pm CDT - CSN
Jose was either out of gas or he was questioning himself again. I'd rather have it be the first.
-
6/19 Sox @ Cin - 6:10pm CDT - CSN
QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 07:17 PM) whyd you have to jinx it moron I was just thinking that if Jose gets one more out, he would have 20 scoreless innings. DOH!
-
6/19 Sox @ Cin - 6:10pm CDT - CSN
Anybody hear Jackson's screeching on the radio?
-
Where's the Hawk?
Stoney's a great analyst. But a horrible play by play man. BTW, did any of you hear Darrin Jackson right before the Getz homer? It was a really weird moment... He was screeching and couldn't stop laughing.
-
6/19 Sox @ Cin - 6:10pm CDT - CSN
Getz finally got one. He's been hitting much better as of late. He must like the NL.
-
6/19 Sox @ Cin - 6:10pm CDT - CSN
QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 06:48 PM) im always afraid of having sox, i feel like im jinxing them (as stupid as that is) i had floyd and danks to start the year, ive since dropped them both and they've pitched better I've had Danks for a while. I picked Floyd up in a league where I had Bedard and Volquez (both injured) and he was decent his last start.
-
6/19 Sox @ Cin - 6:10pm CDT - CSN
I'm seriously considering picking up Jose in a mixed H2H league.
-
2009 Cubs thread
The Cubs didn't win these last two games. The other team just lost.
-
2009 Cubs thread
QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 05:43 PM) is Linebrink on the mound? Let's just say, yes.
-
2009 Cubs thread
QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 05:37 PM) BTW, please never post that a game is over or that a team is done before the final out. Thanks! Even when it's 25-2? Wood got out of it. But wow, the Indians are probably going to lose this game and it's very comical.
- 2009 Cubs thread
-
2009 Cubs thread
QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 05:31 PM) Well, this probably won't be a lot of fun. Wood against the middle of the lineup. Choke job time.
-
Rick Ankiel...
QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 05:06 PM) All I need to read to know that it is a completely worthless stat. Jerry Owens has very good range in the outfield. He was a +11 in Plus/Minus in 2007 in center field, which made him one of the leaders that year among all center fielders. So it's not only UZR saying he's a good outfielder. Sabermetric defensive stats make sense a lot of the time. Sure, we all think that Brian Anderson is god in center field (including myself), but are we there to watch every single play of every single team other than the White Sox? Obviously, no. That's how Plus/Minus is calculated. They watch every single play of the season and give players a rating. UZR is somewhat similar, it just has a lot of different variables in it. Most of the time, UZR and Plus/Minus correlate a lot. I like to think that Plus/Minus is a great system and if it's a great system and UZR usually shows the same results, then UZR is also a trustworthy stat. I would use Plus/Minus more often, but UZR updates every day. I need to pay to see Plus/Minus and it comes out after the season is pretty much over. If you're wondering what factors go into UZR - look here.
-
2009 Cubs thread
QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 05:17 PM) I thought it was a great swing, just stayed up in the air a little too long. I feel that Theriot has tried to hit for way too much power this season. That's not his game. He's a little man and he should play the little man's game. He did that last year and it worked pretty well for him. In that situation, with a tying run at third, he needs to try and swing for a single. Put it in the hole. He shouldn't even think about hitting the ball in the air unless it lands between three guys in the outfield.
-
2009 Cubs thread
Theriot flies out. Way to try and hit a 3 run homer.
-
2009 Cubs thread
When you only have one decent reliever in your bullpen and you need him to get one more out than he normally does. USE HIM!
-
2009 Cubs thread
Does Eric Wedge think Wood is incapable of getting 4 outs?
-
2009 Cubs thread
Infield single? Wow. Here comes the 3 run blast on a routine fly ball to center from Soriano.
-
2009 Cubs thread
Oh wow. Rafael Perez? Really Eric Wedge? I forsee this game getting tied.
-
2009 Cubs thread
They should have just kept Lee in the game.
-
2009 Cubs thread
They're loaded. This looks like an awful lot like yesterday (the situation that is)
-
2009 Cubs thread
Looks like that win yesterday didn't turn the Cubs around. And I thought the Indians would be the team that would make the Cubs hit again. Guess not, for now.
-
Rick Ankiel...
QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 03:33 PM) He was Kidding. I hope he was Kidding about BA having a great year too. I don't know. Sounds like some honest words.
-
Rick Ankiel...
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 03:17 PM) -5? Wow. I only get to see him when they play the Cubs. He always play a pretty damn good CF when I get a chance to watch him. I was quite surprised too considering that accounts his arm strength into it. I was also quite surprised that BA's UZR wasn't better. He actually had a horrible UZR back in 2006 and 2007. Here's what's sort of funny. Jerry Owens, even with his crappy ass arm, had a UZR/150 of 12.8. That's really, really good. Dewayne Wise is better defensively in center than Brian Anderson, according to UZR. He's well above average in left and above average in center. Scott Podsednik is actually an above average left fielder. His career mark UZR in left is 1.4. Just don't put him in center field, he's real bad. Rob Mackowiak was indeed terrible in center. He had a UZR of -5.6 in 2006 as a CF. Put that over a span of 150 games and it's -16.2. It also appears that Aaron Rowand has lost a couple of steps after crashing into the wall in Philadelphia back in 2006. He had a -21 last year in terms of Plus/Minus in San Francisco when he accumulated a +31 from 2004-2006. Rowand had a UZR of -6.1 in San Francisco last season. Looks like the large outfield is making A-Row look bad. And for those of you who said that BA is a better center field than Rowand - UZR says you're wrong. I guess saber stats make sense a lot. But they make me scratch my head at times.