Everything posted by chw42
-
Sox @ Cubs 1:20 WGN
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:09 PM) The first caller to the White Sox post game show is a Cub fan. I thought they didn't care about us?
-
Sox Win
Danks pitched out of trouble and he was absolutely dealing later in the game. I think part of him being so good might have to do with that the Cubs offense can't hit. If Thornton comes in in the 8th, we might be looking at a shutout. Sox offense did execute, but didn't put this game completely out of reach. We should of tagged Dempster for at least 5 runs. Oh well, win is a win.
-
Will Joe Mauer hit .400?
QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:04 AM) You do realize that, by definition, a hitter must have a BABIP over .400 in order to average .400 on the season, right? That his BABIP is high goes without saying. It's like saying "No way his batting average will stay that high--because obviously his batting average is too high." Not really, a player can hit a bunch of homers and that wouldn't factor into BABIP. I think his point was that he has been getting lucky and that it will eventually go down back to his career average, which is probably .350.
-
Quentin "one bad step" from being lost for season
We're not going anywhere this year. Get him healthy for 2010.
-
Will Joe Mauer hit .400?
Doubt it. He'll probably end up hitting .360-.370. As somebody said, his BABIP is way too high.
-
2009 AL Cy Young Race
About time somebody lit up Verlander.
-
Is Sammy a Hall of Famer???
Even if Sosa wasn't on steroids, I really don't think he deserved the hall. Yes, he has 600 some home runs, I understand that. But are we all to the point that we have to count home runs to elect people into the hall to begin with? You might think Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa are comparable in their numbers. You couldn't be more wrong. Hell, you might think that Sosa would be a bit better, if not a similar type hitter to Frank in terms of numbers. You couldn't be more wrong. Sammy Sosa is about as good as Jim Rice in terms of his hitting skills. He hits a lot of bombs, but he's never been a guy to take a walk because he did not have good plate discipline nor a good batter's eye. That's something both McGwire and Thomas possessed and that's why they're considered much better hitters than Sosa. Thomas is actually a better power hitter than Sosa as well, he beat Sosa out in slugging% by about 20 points. McGwire is better than both Thomas and Sosa, but he had no chance of getting in to begin with. Some people were actually leaning on voting Sosa into the hall before this steroid incident. Steroid incident or no steroid incident, I really don't think Sammy's numbers are all that great. His OPS+ is 28 percent lower than Frank's, yet people say Frank isn't a first ballot Hall of Famer. Like that makes any sense.
-
Sox @ Cubs 1:20 WGN
I got work.
-
Idea for comment: Obtaining another front line right handed SP
QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 12:11 AM) Harden for Dotel would kind of help as each team can deal from a slight surplus into a need. But I think in the end the Sox will make one trade for youth if we're good for a sec here....and several trades for youth if we're swept or near swept a few times in a row. The Cubs would never do such a trade.
-
6/16 Sox @ Cubs 7:05 CSN - PPD
QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 07:55 PM) Ah, magglio. simpler times. I never really took to hating him as much as some Sox fans have. If I consider my own organization to be kind of dunderheaded, I cant really take offense when a player feels the same way. He was my favorite player back in the day. Never said a word and just did his job. BTW, have they announced who would start tomorrow?
-
6/16 Sox @ Cubs 7:05 CSN - PPD
I just looked up the Cubs' offensive numbers after a buddy of mine told me that the Sox should be glad that the game is postponed. My goodness are they atrocious. The only thing this team has going on is the pitching and that's pretty much a recent trend. I thought our offense was bad, but this theirs is almost worse. 26th in average in baseball. 28th in runs in baseball (second to last in the National League) 21st in slugging% 20th in OBP From the numbers, our pitchers should have a real good series.
-
Cubs fans and Sox fans... not so different?
QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 05:24 PM) Is it sad that I can tell you the starting lineup of the 1983 Sox and the 1984 Cubs? Yeah, I wasn't born yet.
-
6/16 Sox @ Cubs 7:05 CSN - PPD
Meh.
-
Mike North/Webio/FBI troubles
Have to feel a bit bad for Weber. But that's what you get for following an idiot like North.
-
Cubs fans and Sox fans... not so different?
QUOTE (striker62704 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 04:40 PM) If you polled Sox and Cubs fans and asked them who won the World Series in 2007, more White Sox fans would know. If you polled Sox and Cubs fans and asked them who played 2B for the Cubs in 1990, more Sox fans would know. I think some Cubs fans would know that Ryan Sandburg played 2B for them in the early 90s. More Sox fans would probably know and then we'd be accused of caring too much about the Cubs.
-
6/16 Sox @ Cubs 7:05 CSN - PPD
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:16 PM) Quentin made an appearance at Macy's and said he may be back for the next Cubs series in about 10 days. Quentin shops at Macy's?
-
Is Sammy a Hall of Famer???
QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 04:49 PM) This just in, Sammy Sosa is claiming that he was only using the steroids for batting practice to entertain his fans, but not for the real games. That would be a great excuse wouldn't it? Deep inside, I just know some Cubs fans will still try and find a way to defend Sosa by using that as evidence.
-
Is Sammy a Hall of Famer???
There goes his chance at the Hall...
-
How do you feel about the Chicago Cubs?
I have nothing against the Cubs as a team. But I have a huge problem with the majority of their "fans". They're usually bandwagon, baseball-stupid, and there's a lot of them. Too many too handle in fact. Those guys are easy to deal with because they're stupid, but they're annoying as hell. What's worse is the people who think they know about baseball and try to argue with you in a correct way how the Cubs are somehow better than the Sox. For example, if you point out that the Cubs and Sox have similar pitching this season, the idiot Cubs fan would say that the AL Central is the worst division in baseball and that the NL Central is the best, so the Cubs have the better pitching. Oh really? Is that why the Brewers are leading the NLCentral? We all know how great they are after last weekend. Hmmm...makes a lot of sense. And they always fail to recognize that the AL makes the NL look like crap. What really gets to me is that these people always have to bring up Sox vs. Cubs when I'm either not in the mood to talk about or don't want to bring up any tension. But they still do it and make themselves look like complete idiots. This is why I can't stand the Cubs having any success in the postseason. In a way, their fans make me wish bad upon the team when I can really care less about them. I don't care how many fratboys they draw from UIC or Loyola or how many tourists they got from Iowa. I don't care how many wins they have against the Pirates. Their fans bring all of that crap up and it just angers me because they're such bad points of argument. As long as the Cubs never win a World Series, I'll be fine. I can stand Cubs fans during the regular season, but the postseason is another story.
-
Nuggets from Sunday's game
QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 10:53 AM) Prince Fielder read "Nuggets" and went to McDonald's. Prince said he was turning vegetarian.
-
6/16 Sox @ Cubs 7:05 CSN - PPD
Let's just hope there's not a 3 hour rain delay.
-
What about bringing over Barry Zito?
QUOTE (almagest @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 01:09 AM) Zito showed tonight why any team should be happy to have him... NOT! (LOL) Gave up eight runs in three and a third. Barry Zito - meet the American League.
-
Predictions for Sox/Cubs Series
QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 09:56 AM) i had a dream that danks gives up 5 runs in 4 innings... That's not very MLK-like of you. It was supposed to be inspirational. "I had a dream, that Carlos Zambrano would beat up a Gatorade machine for a second time." Now that's more inspirational.
-
2009 AL Central Thread
That Indians v. Brewers game last night was some crazy stuff. Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder are absolute beasts. It makes me wonder how we pretty much shut them down this past weekend. Or maybe the Indians pitching just sucks complete balls. Because it totally does. Rafael Perez has a ERA in the 11s. Oh, how the might have fallen.
-
2009 Cubs thread
QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 09:44 AM) No, but close. Fontenot just turned 29 last week, and Theriot will be 30 in December. That's pretty old for "young guys".