Quentin "one bad step" from being lost for season

Steve9347

This shouldn't surprise anyone. Really, why not just have the surgery right now and get back to swinging sooner, rather than later?

Tue, Jun 16

OF Carlos Quentin said his left foot is suffering from plantar fasciitis, and that he is one bad step away from rupturing the tendon in his foot even further. That would then cost him the season. "We're aware that if a relapse happens where the tendon ruptures even more, well that's major," Quentin said. "That's something that's going to take longer, maybe even the rest of the season." The 2008 MVP candidate said he could be facing surgery on the foot right after the season, one way or the other.

(Yahoo! Sports)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so long as the Sox have a shot at winning the AL Central, they'll keep letting CQ rehab and hope he can make it thru the season.

However we don't want this to become a long - term problem either.

With Podsednik actually hittting decently, and allowing BA to play 2/3'rds of the games in CF, I'm probably in favor of the former scenario.

I remember when Nocioni had plantar fascitis on the Bulls. There was always talk that one day he would feel fine, then for several straight days it would be hard for him to even walk. Sounds like CQ just needs to give it up and have the surgery. Even if he can come back and play this year, doesnt seem like he will be able to hit up to his full ability with the foot bothering him all season

He might as well try to play. If he has the surgery now, he's out the rest of the season. If he has the surgery when the season is over, he's still ready for spring training. It makes no sense to have it now. According to people who talked to him yesterday, he thinks he will be ready to play in about a week and a half.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
I thought ptatc said that the surgery was not a guarantee to help? Maybe not.

Yes he did. Its far from a guarantee.

People have a habit here of jumping quickly onto the surgery bandwagon, but for situations like this, or Crede's back, that's a mistake. Surgery is usually a last option, for good reason, because for many situations it is not some guaranteed fix-all.

Take a look at TCQ's quote - he's saying what is true for most injuries. If you make it worse, that's bad. I am 50/50 on his return, but the alarmists are going a bit far here. If he can heal it up during the season, and get to being comfortable running again, then he should play. If not (if he's still ailing), then yeah, its time for next steps, whatever those may be.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
This shouldn't surprise anyone. Really, why not just have the surgery right now and get back to swinging sooner, rather than later?

Surgery should be the last resort. He would be out longer with the conservative treament but surgical intervention will change the mechanics of his foot. The plantar fascia is one of the primary supports of the medial arch. Without it the arch falls and puts a great deal of stress on the secondary supports (tendons and ligaments) which will cause a lot of pain with pressure on the foot. Remember what Frank Thomas went through with the fracture of one of the bones in the arch of the foot and how he couldn't run anymore? This is a plausible scenario for Quentin after a surgerical removal of the plantar fascia.

It appears that the medical staff is trying the conservative route first, which is appropriate. However, if it was my foot, i would never have the surgery and work with it. They obviously have explained part of it to CQ because he is describing the process well but not too well because it isn't a tendon to which he keeps referring.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
I say rest him for the year or have him have the surgery. Trade for a three month rental player --- if we're still in it.

If it looks like he's not back by the ASB, regardless of the surgery or not discussion, then we need to release Wise and bring up someone else. Then yes, possibly also look at a trade, if one can be made for someone worthwhile.

But if the season looks lost at the ASB, then don't bother with the trade, just give someone in the system a shot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
Yes he did. Its far from a guarantee.

People have a habit here of jumping quickly onto the surgery bandwagon, but for situations like this, or Crede's back, that's a mistake. Surgery is usually a last option, for good reason, because for many situations it is not some guaranteed fix-all.

Take a look at TCQ's quote - he's saying what is true for most injuries. If you make it worse, that's bad. I am 50/50 on his return, but the alarmists are going a bit far here. If he can heal it up during the season, and get to being comfortable running again, then he should play. If not (if he's still ailing), then yeah, its time for next steps, whatever those may be.

How would you think he would heal up trying to play? The doctors say the only way other than the knife this can get any better would be to rest. Why put him out there to tear the tendon in his foot when you know that is likely going to happen?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
How would you think he would heal up trying to play? The doctors say the only way other than the knife this can get any better would be to rest. Why put him out there to tear the tendon in his foot when you know that is likely going to happen?

What I meant was, heal up during the season while NOT playing for a while, then as I said, start playing when its stable.

And who said it was likely to happen? ptatc can comment, but I'd guess that if he gets it to heal enough to where he can run comfortably, that its not likely. Possible, of course.

Shut him down.

Even if we win the central with the worst record in the AL, I think out of all the world series participants since the 6 division format, less than 10% of them have the worst record in their respective league, and a lower percentage (only the Cardinals?) have actually won. The odds against are similar to coming back from down 7-1 after the 7th inning.

For everyone saying shut him down, the season is over, the Sox are 4 games out. Maybe there is a 0.01% chance they win it all if they make the playoffs, but why wouldn't shutting him down now instead of trying still win be the exact same thing if not worse than the White Flag Trade, when the team was 3.5 out with a lot fewer games to play and a much better team in front of them than there is right now? I think the Indians of 1997 would easily win 115 games in the current division considering the unbalanced schedule.

As for Quentin, I heard an interview with KW who basically said Quentin is not injury prone its more just freak things. Well, he was hurt in college. Was hurt with the D-Backs, did get hurt last year, and hurt again this year. They all aren't related at all, which I believe was KW's point, but it seems to me some guys are injury-prone and he seems to be one of them. The thing that concerns me is all the times he is HBP. All it takes is one to knock him out a long time. I really wish he would wear some armour. Obviously, if he can remain healthy for long stretches he's one of the best hitters in baseball. I think the strength and conditioning guys and Herm and his minions have their work cut out for them with Carlos. He's too valuable to have spend too much time off the field.

Edited by Dick Allen