Quentin "one bad step" from being lost for season

Steve9347

He might as well try to play. If he has the surgery now, he's out the rest of the season. If he has the surgery when the season is over, he's still ready for spring training. It makes no sense to have it now. According to people who talked to him yesterday, he thinks he will be ready to play in about a week and a half.

Agreed. Quentin lost for the season would definalty be a big symbolic blow if nothing else.

The only thing I ask for is for him not to be implicated in the P.E.D scandal of any sort. With Pablo Ozuna news, I am kinda paranoid about that stuff tarnishing 2005 and even 2008 teams. (see: 2004 Red Sox frauds). Quetin does fit the profile in more than one respect.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as CQ's health, our team does have good doctors. If they say he can play, play him. The guy is major injury prone anyway. If he needs surgery, operate now. If he can play w/out surgery and won't need it in offseason, play him now. If surgery is needed in the postseason, do it NOW though.

Couldn't have said it better myself Greg.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
I also think that if you think the White Sox have the talent to be anything but the worst division winner at less than 90 games, you are completely delusional

That may be true, but a division winner is a division winner. And at this point, there is no AL Central team that's clearly "better" than the Sox. It's better to be the "tallest midget" in a crappy division than playing golf in October.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Dye was never injured on the Sox for an extended period of time in his first two seasons. Carlos Quentin has missed like a quarter of the games he's had on the Sox in two years.

Exactly. Last year was, by far, the closest that Quentin's ever gotten to playing a full season. The comparison to the pre-Sox era JD is not a good one.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
So every batter who comes up with a .180 batting average has a "reasonable" chance of getting a hit each and every time. Ok.

Reasonable chance of getting a hit, and reasonable chance of getting to the world series are two complete opposites. It's pretty obvious that a major league ball player has a better chance of getting a hit in any one at bat then any team getting to the world series does in anyone season.

Basically I'd jump on an 18% chance at getting to the world series, but I'd back away from an 18% chance of any player getting a hit. As would everyone on this board.

GMs don't like to risk the careers of one of their better players.

At some point, he's going to have to play and play a lot to be considered "one of their better players," but I understand your point. He needs to play.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
Well, if there was any medical evidence stating that we're risking Q's health by asking him to play through the pain, if he can, then I'd be with you. Lots of players have played through it, more or less, with pretty fair results. It will be good to know IF he can play with some pain, cause this guy may never be completely healthy, given his history. At any rate, from all I've read, he'll be ready by ST even if he waits til October for a surgery, so what's the big deal?

We're three freakin' games out! We've got 4 starters looking strong. Q can be the difference maker.

Who says we're not addressing the other problems? Our top prospect is manning 3rd now and could be the difference maker himself. The "glut" of DH's is resolving itself with the expiring contracts or a probable trade if the Sox do stink it up over the next few weeks. Regarding the CF problem, KW's painted himself into a corner, granted, and waiting for JorDanks MIGHT be our best option at this point, though I realize that's an unsatisfying solution for this season. We still don't know who'll be available in trade as a stopgap CF, if we're fortunate enough to be buyers at the deadline.

Our play over the next few weeks will (and should) dictate the speed with which the org addresses the problems, as well as how we handle Q.

There is a great deal of medical evidence about plantar fasciitis and common protocols on how it takes to heal etc. 15-30 days is not long enoough for complete healing. As I stated when they put him on the DL, they would have been foolish with on 15 days and have him return. He would have only played for a short period of time then returned to the DL.

They haven't pushed him that hard. It should be closer to 30 days and it still be not be resolved but it may be tolerable enough for him to play the rest of the year. It will take the off season for him to rid himself of the problem.

I've had patients with severe cases that last years because they do not take care of it properly. They need to be careful with this. If they have to resort to surgery it can be career threatening.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Obviously, but he's not risking his career, that's the point.

He could very well be risking his career. Chronic foot problems will greatly reduce his effectiveness as a player. Apart from the obvious limitation in running (all hits will become either a single or HR, no running first to third etc.) he will not be able to transfer weight onto the foot without being apprehansive. This will dramatically alter his swing.

This is not a problem like a sprained ankle that goes away quickly. Fascial tissue takes a long time to heal because it doesn't have the blood suppy that other tissue does. As I've stated before as well, surgery can cause more problems than it solves. Having surgery NOW is not an option and I'm sure the medical staff will do all they can beofre it's considered.

At least CQ doesn't have a problem with his navicular bone in his foot.

A sportsperson down here hasn't been able to walk properly for 3 years let alone play because of that type of injury, so it can be very dangerous to say the least.

But as ptatc said, foot injuries are hard to deal with because of the blood supply down there.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
At least CQ doesn't have a problem with his navicular bone in his foot.

A sportsperson down here hasn't been able to walk properly for 3 years let alone play because of that type of injury, so it can be very dangerous to say the least.

But as ptatc said, foot injuries are hard to deal with because of the blood supply down there.

If he has surgery, he will have problems in this area. The navicular is the keystone to the arch of the foot. It is the primary bone support. If one of the primary soft tissue supports (plantar fascia) is removed, there will be increased stress on the bone support. Ask Frank Thomas what a navicular fracture can do to career.