Trading Q vs trading Sale

ron883

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
I would rather keep Q and deal Sale.

1. Sale is going to bring back a larger haul in a trade.

2. I believe Q has a much better chance to pitch well into his 30's than does Sale. His style seems to be built for longevity more like a Maddux than a Verlander.

3. I think Sale is a higher risk to sustain a career altering injury, based on mechanics and DL time in their careers.

4. I think the package that Sale would bring back could make the team competitive while Q is still under his current contract.

I have to give you credit. This is one of the handful of times on soxtalk that someone posted something that may have swayed my thinking in something that I thought long and hard about and made a decision on already. These are ALL great points. Well done.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
I would rather keep Q and deal Sale.

1. Sale is going to bring back a larger haul in a trade.

2. I believe Q has a much better chance to pitch well into his 30's than does Sale. His style seems to be built for longevity more like a Maddux than a Verlander.

3. I think Sale is a higher risk to sustain a career altering injury, based on mechanics and DL time in their careers.

4. I think the package that Sale would bring back could make the team competitive while Q is still under his current contract.

That to me was the biggest deal here. All your points are right on the money, but the fact that if they trade Sale now and get that max return, when these players are ready to contribute Q will still be the ace here. It just makes so much sense to do it, I'm just not sure Sox will :(

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
That to me was the biggest deal here. All your points are right on the money, but the fact that if they trade Sale now and get that max return, when these players are ready to contribute Q will still be the ace here. It just makes so much sense to do it, I'm just not sure Sox will :(

Agreed. I can understand the reluctance of the front office to trade a pitcher many consider to have HOF potential. No matter who the get, they may be known for the people that traded away an HOF pitcher in his prime.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Agreed. I can understand the reluctance of the front office to trade a pitcher many consider to have HOF potential. No matter who the get, they may be known for the people that traded away an HOF pitcher in his prime.

I am sure the Indians were probably nervous about the same thing when they shipped Bartolo Colon to the Expos, but getting the guys they got back made that team competitive.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
I am sure the Indians were probably nervous about the same thing when they shipped Bartolo Colon to the Expos, but getting the guys they got back made that team competitive.

I know. I can just see the reluctance. The front office will be criticized for years.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
They also traded Sabathia and got zero out of it.

EDIT: Well, they got Michael Brantley which someone noted, who is pretty good.

The Brewers also gave the Indians Matt LaPorta, who was a top 30 prospect at the time, and Zach Jackson, a former 1st round pick, along with Brantley for 17 starts from CC Sabathia. I'd say that trade worked out pretty well for the Indians even when the centerpiece of the trade at the time (LaPorta) was a bust. That's why it's essential we get multiple highly regarded prospects if we trade Sale or Q.

Without any injuries to Sale or Q you are going to be getting roughly 108 (Sale) to 140 (Q) regular season starts between each for the remainder of their current contracts. I have a hard time recalling a previous trade where a team gave up 3+ years of team control of an ace. The Sox need at least 5 top prospects for each. This isn't a 3 month rental for a playoff push. It is a trade for an established All-Star pitcher each with a track record of great pitching with control for 3+ years, and cheap control at that.

Personally, I wish they would trade Shields, Melky, Abreu, Robertson, Sale, Frazier, Duke, Jackson, Lawrie, Navarro, Avila, Garcia, Albers, Gonzalez, & Morneau (if they get a good return on the trades for them) keep Eaton, Quintana, Anderson, Rodon, Jones, Fulmer, & Saladino. See what you got and build around them and your newly acquired talent for the future.