There are plenty of White Sox fans

Carpe Diem

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)
The site of the old USS South Works plant is available. Accessibility may be an issue though.

http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/south-works/

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/steel/sou...fd0769ebd5.html

I can only imagine the amount of remediation it would take to make that area worthy for mass usage again. I can only imagine that the cost would far outpace the cost of the actual ballpark.

With the billions I earned starting Google...I would cover the tracks south of Roosevelt with a new stadium, point it NE. Close to Expy. Close to trains. South side. Close to Manny's. Close to Chernin's for the ladies.

Who's with me?!?!

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
With the billions I earned starting Google...I would cover the tracks south of Roosevelt with a new stadium, point it NE. Close to Expy. Close to trains. South side. Close to Manny's. Close to Chernin's for the ladies.

Who's with me?!?!

*Claps* and this is also close to a huge new housing development that should bring in some entertainment businesses.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)

Who's with me?!?!

And rich people always give away all their money, so totally.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
And rich people always give away all their money, so totally.

No...rich people get rich by NOT spending their money. Yet, I was just making a suggestion about where a stadium could be built that is close to the city, on the river, and still ont eh South Side...

But, if this isn't the forum for grandiose plans that will never happen because, you know, I didn't do any of those things.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
This Chris Hansen guy in Seattle does. Although that's more of an anomaly.

The only guy that comes to mind as paying for his own stadium is Jerry Jones, and even that was only 2/3 of it. Arlington paid for the other 1/3. Am I missing someone?

I mean it is cute and all to build this myth of a benevolent prince owner who is going to rescue us from our castle stadium and whisk us away to live happily ever after build us a new palace on the lake, but then real life calls. That doesn't actually happen anywhere. Billionaires get to be billionaires by being business savvy and having other people pay for things like a new stadium.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
The only guy that comes to mind as paying for his own stadium is Jerry Jones, and even that was only 2/3 of it. Arlington paid for the other 1/3. Am I missing someone?

I mean it is cute and all to build this myth of a benevolent prince owner who is going to rescue us from our castle stadium and whisk us away to live happily ever after build us a new palace on the lake, but then real life calls. That doesn't actually happen anywhere. Billionaires get to be billionaires by being business savvy and having other people pay for things like a new stadium.

Why are you so angry today? I didn't say anyone was going to build it. I just said if I was a billionaire (which I'm not and probably never will be) and if I built a new stadium (which I won't). We were talking about where to build one. Lakefront isn't possible, Bridgeport is ok. I made a suggestion of a site. That's all.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Why are you so angry today? I didn't say anyone was going to build it. I just said if I was a billionaire (which I'm not and probably never will be) and if I built a new stadium (which I won't). We were talking about where to build one. Lakefront isn't possible, Bridgeport is ok. I made a suggestion of a site. That's all.

Really that isn't for you, it is for the guy who started this thread who apparently that thinks billionaires just randomly show up building billion dollar facilities for people.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)

The Giants baseball stadium was built and paid for by then owner Peter McGowen if I'm not mistaken and the Dophins football stadium was built by Joe Robbie with his money. Again this is from memory. Those are the only two that I can recall as being built and paid for by ownership.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
I can only imagine the amount of remediation it would take to make that area worthy for mass usage again. I can only imagine that the cost would far outpace the cost of the actual ballpark.

IIRC it was an EPA Superfund site, so environmental cleanup is complete.

There are many issues that keep it from being feasible, but that parcel of land is a HUGE blank canvas... imagine the ballpark and surrounding neighborhood that could be built there.

I like, Sox Park aka GR Field. The park is in excellent condition and the appearance has been improved greatly over the years. Great video boards and sound system.

Unimpeded sight lines. Bullpen bar, Stadium club, the multi-level bar and fan store at gate 5, 300 level, skyboxes, tailgating with ample parking right off the expressway.

Convenient access for fans from the South/Southwest and West suburbs, and a small trip to or from downtown.

Bridgeport has been gentrifying for several years and the South Loop has been moving South along Halsted, but most people do not head into the surrounding neighborhood after the games or need to because their cars are right there.

Ricketts is doing a different thing trying to make a baseball themed amusement park centered around Wrigley and trying to keep all the fan revenue for himself.

My guess is that Sox park will be there for another 20-30 years before any serious discussion about building the next one take place. Then it will probably be built across 35th Street on the original site. All the land/parking surrounding Spx Park, the convenience of the train and access right off the Ryan just about guarantee that the current site will never be abandoned.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Oct 30, 2016 -> 01:21 AM)
I like, Sox Park aka GR Field. The park is in excellent condition and the appearance has been improved greatly over the years. Great video boards and sound system.

Unimpeded sight lines. Bullpen bar, Stadium club, the multi-level bar and fan store at gate 5, 300 level, skyboxes, tailgating with ample parking right off the expressway.

Convenient access for fans from the South/Southwest and West suburbs, and a small trip to or from downtown.

Bridgeport has been gentrifying for several years and the South Loop has been moving South along Halsted, but most people do not head into the surrounding neighborhood after the games or need to because their cars are right there.

Ricketts is doing a different thing trying to make a baseball themed amusement park centered around Wrigley and trying to keep all the fan revenue for himself.

My guess is that Sox park will be there for another 20-30 years before any serious discussion about building the next one take place. Then it will probably be built across 35th Street on the original site. All the land/parking surrounding Spx Park, the convenience of the train and access right off the Ryan just about guarantee that the current site will never be abandoned.

The lease runs through 2033, so any new stadium talk won't really even start until the end of the next decade.