Could Sox Trade Sale & Be Better Next Season?

Dunt

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Firstly, and most importantly, catcher is a defensive-first position. We need someone back there who is going to help our pitchers, not hurt them. You wanna try him behind the plate at AAA, go ahead. I have no problems with that. But he should not be acquired to be plugged in at catcher on the Major League roster.

Second, his injury history would be scary for someone behind the plate. Most recent injury was a leg, if I'm not mistaken.

I guess I would just say that rebuilding seasons are the perfect time to develop players at the major league level that may not be perfect in their position. Swihart was injured sliding into bases, he'd still do that as a catcher. If swihart is on the team and we don't try him out as a catcher I'll be disappointed. I feel like sox work with Flowers defensively shows they have ability to hone them in to some degree at least with calling games and framing.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
By trading Sale you would be punting on 2017 and likely 2018. But there is no reason why you could not compete in 2019 with the right moves

This is exactly how I see it. The odds are pretty high with a Sale trade, and what that would trigger, you are looking at least at 2019 for a winning season, if not 2020.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
This is exactly how I see it. The odds are pretty high with a Sale trade, and what that would trigger, you are looking at least at 2019 for a winning season, if not 2020.

And maybe the white sox finally catch a break and their 2016 class will be contributing a starting C, pitcher, closer and maybe even an outfielder.

(obviously outfielder will be Schnurbusch)

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
I guess I would just say that rebuilding seasons are the perfect time to develop players at the major league level that may not be perfect in their position. Swihart was injured sliding into bases, he'd still do that as a catcher. If swihart is on the team and we don't try him out as a catcher I'll be disappointed. I feel like sox work with Flowers defensively shows they have ability to hone them in to some degree at least with calling games and framing.

Just FYI.

Obviously if he stayed as a LF something like this could happen again. I'm just saying catchers with such leg injuries generally don't do well long-term.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Pretty straight forward question: if the Sox end up trading Sale, do you think the haul and free agent additions could lead them to having a better team? I think it'll be hard to replace Sale's value, but I could definitely see a situation where the Sox plug 1-2 holes with studs, get trade pieces to fill other holes, then maybe fill in free agency. They still keep most of their core with extra control (Q, Eaton, Anderson, Rodon, Jones, etc.) and add young talent to supplement that core while not fully committing to blowing the entirety of this core up. With the way this offseason has developed so far, I could see this being the move of the front office.

They could be better next season just with the haul.

Forget any serious FA acquisitions right now.

How bout this scenario where BOTH SALE and QUINTANA are traded:

Sale, Robertson, & Lawrie to Houston for Bregman, McCullers, AJ Reed and David Paulino

Since LA missed out on the Sale derby, they resort to Quintana

Quintana & Frazier to LA for Joc, Urias, Bellinger, & Barnes

I spent some time flip flopping the players we send to each team (i.e. maybe Sale goes to LA and Q and Frazier go to Houston). Either way, I think these are fairly fair deals.

With respect to the topic, I think this team could be no worse than last year especially after trading both Sale & Quintana

1. Eaton RF

2. Anderson SS

3. Melky LF

4. Abreu 1B/DH

5. Joc CF

6. Bregman 3B

7. AJ Reed 1B/DH

8. Saladino 2B

9. C FA Signing Chris Ianetta or Hank Conger (Historically solid framers and cheap)

Rotation:

1. Rodon

2. Gonzalez

3. Urias

4. McCullers

5. Shields

Edited by professa

QUOTE (professa @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
How bout this scenario where BOTH SALE and QUINTANA are traded:

Sale, Robertson, & Lawrie to Houston for Bregman, McCullers, AJ Reed and David Paulino

Since LA missed out on the Sale derby, they resort to Quintana

Quintana & Frazier to LA for Joc, Urias, Bellinger, & Barnes

I spent some time flip flopping the players we send to each team (i.e. maybe Sale goes to LA and Q and Frazier go to Houston). Either way, I think these are fairly fair deals.

With respect to the topic, I think this team could be no worse than last year especially after trading both Sale & Quintana

1. Eaton RF

2. Anderson SS

3. Melky LF

4. Abreu 1B/DH

5. Joc CF

6. Bregman 3B

7. AJ Reed 1B/DH

8. Saladino 2B

9. C FA Signing Chris Ianetta or Hank Conger (Historically solid framers and cheap)

Rotation:

1. Rodon

2. Gonzalez

3. Urias

4. McCullers

5. Shields

I don't think Quintana and Frazier nets the White Sox Joc, Urias, Bellinger and Barnes. That is a massive return.

Also, I don't see Houston dealing McCullers in a Sale trade if they want to compete. Musgrove is much more likely.

Even still, that roster is not a playoff team for at least a few years

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
I don't think Quintana and Frazier nets the White Sox Joc, Urias, Bellinger and Barnes. That is a massive return.

I might expect a little more than that, TBH. Besides the sexy name and dominating stuff, Q is arguably as valuable as Sale - with an extra year of control to boot. Plus you're adding in a year Frazier.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
I might expect a little more than that, TBH. Besides the sexy name and dominating stuff, Q is arguably as valuable as Sale - with an extra year of control to boot. Plus you're adding in a year Frazier.

Perhaps, but I see la being more willing to deal prospects than harming their mlb roster.

Frazier should net one top 100 prospect plus one more prospect, even on a one year rental