2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:58 PM)
It really won't matter unless they want to run a suicide mission.

If dems want to show what they believe in and counteract news cycles from trump, they better stop believing in platforms and ground game, and also start to get familiar with this new medium called television.

Lol that's what they're trying to do. They got swallowed by Russiagate yesterday. That s***'s going to happen. You're seriously going to blame that on the Dem leadership?

What's your suggestion for breaking the Trump news cycle, since you've got all these answers?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
If you didn't see it that's on you.

You didn't see it because the press covered Kushner, as I mentioned above. Every single person I've shown it to had the same reaction. It's good. Really good.

You mean it's crushing the dem operative demographic?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:04 PM)
Few people ever see those sorts of things. Really, not very many people watch cable news.

Totally. But if you take the time to watch it, you'll see that if that type of rhetoric, and that type of talk is infused in candidates' messages nationwide, and is able to be carried through for the next 16 months, the dividends will be huge.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:04 PM)
You mean it's crushing the dem operative demographic?

How on earth do you know my social circle? I've been a "dem operative" for six damn months. Y'all are ridiculous.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)
Lol that's what they're trying to do. They got swallowed by Russiagate yesterday. That s***'s going to happen. You're seriously going to blame that on the Dem leadership?

What's your suggestion for breaking the Trump news cycle, since you've got all these answers?

You seriously think a press conference to announce a policy platform only got ignored because of Trump?

Here's something up Schumer's alley. He needs to pick a fight. Not with a politician. Find some consumer report s*** with telecoms.

Get all the politicians in dem party that have some sort of reputation. Have them go after some institutions. Schumer continue with comcast. Have someone hammer the s*** out of Jamie Dimon sounding the alarms because labor is getting a bigger cut cutting into corporate profits. Warren after Wells Fargo.

The Dems can't be this party that stands for upholding all institutions because they will carry the baggage of all of them.

They are a minority party right now. They will survive on personality. nobody gives a s*** about what the minority parties platform is, they can't do anything with it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:13 PM)
You seriously think a press conference to announce a policy platform only got ignored because of Trump?

Here's something up Schumer's alley. He needs to pick a fight. Not with a politician. Find some consumer report s*** with telecoms.

Get all the politicians in dem party that have some sort of reputation. Have them go after some institutions. Schumer continue with comcast. Have someone hammer the s*** out of Jamie Dimon sounding the alarms because labor is getting a bigger cut cutting into corporate profits. Warren after Wells Fargo.

The Dems can't be this party that stands for upholding all institutions because they will carry the baggage of all of them.

They are a minority party right now. They will survive on personality. nobody gives a s*** about what the minority parties platform is, they can't do anything with it.

WATCH. THE DAMN. VIDEO.

He does ALL of that. Jesus.

I posted it on the last page or two. You don't get to b**** if you don't inform yourself.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:18 PM)
WATCH. THE DAMN. VIDEO.

He does ALL of that. Jesus.

I posted it on the last page or two. You don't get to b**** if you don't inform yourself.

This is hilarious to me. I chose Schumer and Warren for a reason, because I know he's taking up a consumer advocacy fights.

The disconnect is you think doing that under the guise of a great new policy platform is a good way to do that. You are taking whatever authenticity may exist and shoving it through the top down structure of a platform.

Complaints of democratic party:

- Too top down and stodgy

- Too believing in power of their policy message

- People unconvinced they are actually fighting on their side

- Leadership full of out of touch elites

Solution:

- Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi unveil a top down unveiling a long list of policies with a bunch of kitschy catch phrases they hope get worked into each of their candidates stump speeches in a mid day press conference

Platforms truly do not mean anything. If they actually thought a press conference with a list of policies from their leadership will be the catalyst that propels them to seeming relateable and having solutions to constituent problems, God help us.

Throw this s*** on the web site and pat yourselves on the back, then start doing some things that don't seem planned in a board room.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
This is hilarious to me. I chose Schumer and Warren for a reason, because I know he's taking up a consumer advocacy fights.

The disconnect is you think doing that under the guise of a great new policy platform is a good way to do that. You are taking whatever authenticity may exist and shoving it through the top down structure of a platform.

Complaints of democratic party:

- Too top down and stodgy

- Too believing in power of their policy message

- People unconvinced they are actually fighting on their side

- Leadership full of out of touch elites

Solution:

- Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi unveil a top down unveiling a long list of policies with a bunch of kitschy catch phrases they hope get worked into each of their candidates stump speeches in a mid day press conference

Platforms truly do not mean anything. If they actually thought a press conference with a list of policies from their leadership will be the catalyst that propels them to seeming relateable and having solutions to constituent problems, God help us.

Throw this s*** on the web site and pat yourselves on the back, then start doing some things that don't seem planned in a board room.

Did you watch Schumer's remarks?

Why connect back to FDR?

Heck, teenagers today don't even know JFK and RFK...

Need to be more forward-thinking/progressive and find some truly innovative ideas rather than triangulating to the middle of the Democratic Party in an attempt not to offend anyone.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
It's terrible if you deliver it terribly, and fantastic if you deliver it well. Chuck delivered it damn well yesterday.

Schumer is the last senator in the world to be carrying the party message forward. To most Dems, he's Mr. Wall Street. And old/er.

Hillary went through 10-20 rebrandings.

You have to have charisma and a personality...as someone mentioned earlier, delivery. See Obama/Clinton/Mario Cuomo/Jesse Jackson...people have to believe in the words you're saying, feel invested in your message. Everything else is just a top PR person's bullet points that sound great in a pitch meeting, but fall flat in the living rooms of real life voters in the Rust Belt.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
Schumer is the last senator in the world to be carrying the party message forward. To most Dems, he's Mr. Wall Street. And old/er.

Hillary went through 10-20 rebrandings.

You have to have charisma and a personality...as someone mentioned earlier, delivery. See Obama/Clinton/Mario Cuomo/Jesse Jackson...people have to believe in the words you're saying, feel invested in your message. Everything else is just a top PR person's bullet points that sound great in a pitch meeting, but fall flat in the living rooms of real life voters in the Rust Belt.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 09:59 PM)

Don't 100% care what he says.

It's the messenger, just as much as the message. Meanwhile, the Trump Tornado just sweeps everything into its vortex.

A month from now, it will be just as memorable as Trump's own infrastructure, small business, women's empowerment, etc., weeks. Nothing is getting through right now in terms of the Democratic Party until the health care debate is settled, and Sessions/Mueller goes in a discernible direction.

Summer is the worst time of the year to try to pivot, anyway.

Better to wait until September when people are actually starting to pay A LITTLE attention again. It's not even an election year.

Cool. So both of you ranting about the Democratic message, the messenger, etc, haven't even taken the time to actually see or hear it presented. So, basically, you're totally credible in your opinions.

Reddy, the bottom line is the Dems need to pick a lane.

Centrist, what's the point? Stand for something...convince the Midwest and Rust Belt you can provide better future outcomes in terms of education, infrastructure, health care and job training/retraining.

Figure out the most appealing environmental message.

Not rocket science.

And reconcile the globalist/trade protection sides...finally, model after the Obama and Sanders campaign strategies of taking thousands of small internet donations rather than being beholden to Wall Street.

GQ's take is a little more spicy but still good

John McCain Is the Perfect American Lie

John McCain was never anyone's white knight. This is the man who ushered in the age of troll candidacies by tapping Sarah Palin as his running mate. This is the man who caved to Donald Trump even after Trump had the audacity to mock his time as a POW. This is the man who called his own wife a c*** in public. This is a man who has spent all this time acting as if all the Bad Republicans were forcing him to go along with their nefarious deeds while voting in lockstep with them. He is not a reluctant Republican. He's a s***bag, same as the rest of them.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
Cool. So both of you ranting about the Democratic message, the messenger, etc, haven't even taken the time to actually see or hear it presented. So, basically, you're totally credible in your opinions.

If my opinion is that nobody will watch a press conference about a platform then I have maintained my credibility. You would have to name a price to get me to watch that. Probably $20.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
Reddy, the bottom line is the Dems need to pick a lane.

Centrist, what's the point? Stand for something...convince the Midwest and Rust Belt you can provide better future outcomes in terms of education, infrastructure, health care and job training/retraining.

Figure out the most appealing environmental message.

Not rocket science.

And reconcile the globalist/trade protection sides...finally, model after the Obama and Sanders campaign strategies of taking thousands of small internet donations rather than being beholden to Wall Street.

Did. You watch. The event. Where they. Announed the lane. They picked?

You literally have zero credibility to talk about this until you've watched and listened to the Democratic Party DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

It's maddening to me watching you and bmags pontificate begging for the Dems to do something they did on Monday. You just didn't watch it. Inform yourselves before you make another post about the subject. It's ridiculous.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
If my opinion is that nobody will watch a press conference about a platform then I have maintained my credibility. You would have to name a price to get me to watch that. Probably $20.

So you're directly choosing to keep yourself uninformed while ranting about things that aren't true... Why? Why be no better than a Breitbart-worshiping Trumpster? Doing that actually takes away any credibility you think you have, and I will literally give no credence to any of your posts going forward. That's just absurd logic.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
So you're directly choosing to keep yourself uninformed while ranting about things that aren't true... Why? Why be no better than a Breitbart-worshiping Trumpster? Doing that actually takes away any credibility you think you have, and I will literally give no credence to any of your posts going forward. That's just absurd logic.

Sounds good.

A moderate speaks: By God, won’t someone else take a stand?

This is not the Senate that I believe in.

I look around and see only the ruin of this once-great democratic institution. What has become of the process? Where are the committees? Where is the deliberation?

This bill is bad, and it was made in a process that was even worse. The courageous thing to do would be to stand against it. And yet no one will, not even me.

I am disgusted.

Bills ought to be passed with deliberation by committees. Change should be achieved in a bipartisan manner. Incrementally, day by day, we should reach a consensus — not perfect, by any means — but something that we can be proud of, nonetheless. That is why, when this dangerous and secret bill came up for a vote, I said “Aye,” in such a cold and cutting tone.

This place should not be vulnerable to the shifting winds of public opinion, like some sort of novelty windsock. The Senate was supposed to be like a saucer where the Founders could pour their coffee to cool it. Well, I don’t think this saucer would cool any coffee, because this saucer is BROKEN. And now this nation is covered in coffee. By God! (This was more stirring in my head.)

We are supposed to make compromises. We are supposed to listen. But these sad days, no one will. Not even me.

This is no way to proceed. Is anyone in favor of this legislation? Do we even know what this is? It is happening so fast that I cannot be sure, but it seems to benefit no one except taxpayers in high-income brackets and those who delight in human suffering. We are doing the legislative equivalent of throwing darts at a wall, but the wall is made of human faces.

I have no idea what is passing and what is being debated. Everything around me is chaos. Out of the wreckage of the parliamentary procedure rides Mitch McConnell on a pale horse sowing destruction in his wake. I think we just agreed to push all wheelchairs, occupied or not, over a cliff somewhere, but honestly I have no idea.

Will you just stand by and let this happen? You must not, because I will.

Where are the courageous three or four people who are willing to stand alone with me against this? I can’t do it without the cover of a courageous three or four people, and those people are nowhere to be found.

By God, what has become of the Senate? What has become of the nation’s greatest deliberative body? It is time that someone else took a stand. This legislation we are throwing frantically up for a vote is a disgrace to the country, it is cruel, and we arrived at it the wrong way, and so I will not vote for it more than once.

After all, I am here to serve my constituents by doing what I think, after deliberation, is in their best interests. I am here because I believe people working together across the aisle to tackle the challenges facing America can pass laws that make their lives better and easier. That is why I am here, in theory. And I will gladly stand alone against this shameful process that threatens all that I hold dear by issuing a series of scathing statements to reporters on my way in to the floor to vote for whatever this mystery bill is.

We are the equal of the executive, but we don’t act like it. Well, we should start acting like it! Where is the brave man or woman who will go first? I eagerly await such a person.

This bill was not given the process it deserves. We should have deliberated in committee. We should have held hearings. We should have done this the right way. There is only one way to proceed: We must absolutely proceed with it. I, for one, will fight it tooth and nail. I will do everything except vote against it.

Who will stand without me?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Did. You watch. The event. Where they. Announed the lane. They picked?

You literally have zero credibility to talk about this until you've watched and listened to the Democratic Party DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

It's maddening to me watching you and bmags pontificate begging for the Dems to do something they did on Monday. You just didn't watch it. Inform yourselves before you make another post about the subject. It's ridiculous.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/27/politics/tru...tics/index.html

And nobody cares about THE BETTER DEAL, because everyone's talking about transgenders in the military.

Do you have a better way to shift the conversation back to substantive policy that will actually work?