2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

And Chicago is one of the better markets!

Big trend in chicago was people buying multi-family and converting to single family in growing/emerging neighborhoods.

This then put a good market to condos to be built.

But literally nothing brings out people more than "luxury" condos being built. But chicago lost a lot of inventory to conversions that had to be recreated somewhere.

The US has a severe housing shortage issue.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes of previously unreleased footage from the white supremacist rallies in Charlottesville.

https://sub.media/video/charlottesville-redux/

“This previously unreleased 4K footage shows in more detail a time line of events. Starting with the tiki torch incident, then on to the fights the next day, then ending with the terrorist attack. This includes footage of a nearly fatal hate crime committed within police purview, in a parking garage next to the police station. It also documents the unwillingness of police to step in and stop the violence that day. Watch how many times our reporter asks police why they are not stopping the fights. Please help us share this and get it out to as many people as possible”

"very fine people"

This is absolutely brutal

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archiv...-coates/537909/

like this:

It is as if the white tribe united in demonstration to say, “If a black man can be president, then any white man—no matter how fallen—can be president.” And in that perverse way, the democratic dreams of Jefferson and Jackson were fulfilled.

gotta read the whole thing to get the full impact, but

IN 2016, HILLARY CLINTON acknowledged the existence of systemic racism more explicitly than any of her modern Democratic predecessors. She had to—black voters remembered too well the previous Clinton administration, as well as her previous campaign. While her husband’s administration had touted the rising-tide theory of economic growth, it did so while slashing welfare and getting “tough on crime,” a phrase that stood for specific policies but also served as rhetorical bait for white voters. One is tempted to excuse Hillary Clinton from having to answer for the sins of her husband. But in her 2008 campaign, she evoked the old dichotomy between white workers and loafing blacks, claiming to be the representative of “hardworking Americans, white Americans.” By the end of the 2008 primary campaign against Barack Obama, her advisers were hoping someone would uncover an apocryphal “whitey tape,” in which an angry Michelle Obama was alleged to have used the slur. During Bill Clinton’s presidential-reelection campaign in the mid-1990s, Hillary Clinton herself had endorsed the “super-predator” theory of William J. Bennett, John P. Walters, and John J. DiIulio Jr. This theory cast “inner-city” children of that era as “almost completely unmoralized” and the font of “a new generation of street criminals … the youngest, biggest and baddest generation any society has ever known.” The “baddest generation” did not become super-predators. But by 2016, they were young adults, many of whom judged Hillary Clinton’s newfound consciousness to be lacking.

It’s worth asking why the country has not been treated to a raft of sympathetic portraits of this “forgotten” young black electorate, forsaken by a Washington bought off by Davos elites and special interests. The unemployment rate for young blacks (20.6 percent) in July 2016 was double that of young whites (9.9 percent). And since the late 1970s, William Julius Wilson and other social scientists following in his wake have noted the disproportionate effect that the decline in manufacturing jobs has had on African American communities. If anyone should be angered by the devastation wreaked by the financial sector and a government that declined to prosecute the perpetrators, it is African Americans—the housing crisis was one of the primary drivers in the past 20 years of the wealth gap between black families and the rest of the country. But the cultural condescension toward and economic anxiety of black people is not news. Toiling blacks are in their proper state; toiling whites raise the specter of white slavery.

Moreover, a narrative of long-neglected working-class black voters, injured by globalization and the financial crisis, forsaken by out-of-touch politicians, and rightfully suspicious of a return of Clintonism, does not serve to cleanse the conscience of white people for having elected Donald Trump. Only the idea of a long-suffering white working class can do that. And though much has been written about the distance between elites and “Real America,” the existence of a class-transcending, mutually dependent tribe of white people is evident.

e: this is also the point I was trying to make in the trump thread a couple of weeks ago, but TNC's a better communicator than me:

This definition of political correctness was shocking coming from a politician of the left. But it matched a broader defense of Trump voters. “Some people think that the people who voted for Trump are racists and sexists and homophobes and just deplorable folks,” Sanders said later. “I don’t agree.” This is not exculpatory. Certainly not every Trump voter is a white supremacist, just as not every white person in the Jim Crow South was a white supremacist. But every Trump voter felt it acceptable to hand the fate of the country over to one.
Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 05:40 PM)
https://theintercept.com/2017/09/06/sociali...cism-of-israel/

Popular young Democrat Carlos Ramirez-Rose forced off Daniel Biss's gubernatorial ticket after it is learned he is for the divestment of Israel and justice for Palestine.

Not surprising from this party, but a cowardly move none the less.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)
I don't think it's exclusive to either party, but the guy should've known better. No matter what team you play for in American politics you can't speak out against the apartheid Israel has imposed on Palestine.

I'm sitting here rather impressed at how much I agree with your language choices.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 06:55 PM)
Lol, I've always been consistent with my views on partinsanship and on the apartheid Israel has put on the Palestinians. Don't judge me on the corners others try to paint me in.

Had not seen that one from you before and find self fully in agreement that is what it should be called.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Sanders will introduce universal health care, backed by 15 Democrats

I think this is actually up to 17 now. Hopeful this continues to gain support.

It's a meaningless bill that won't pass being used as a political football to get 2020 hopefuls Bernie-points. That's all. There's very little to see here in the short term.

It's also just a bad bill. I support single payer - not this bill.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20170914/ed...nder-jon-police

I find this crazy. I recognize Edison Park would be an area of a lot of police officers. But to me the Burge era and the after-effects is one of the biggest influencing events in Chicago of the last 30 years. I'm glad they are teaching Chicago history though, that is pretty cool.

Like, I'm hoping there is some self reflection after making a comment like this:

Parents like Leticia Kaner, a 19-year police veteran, questioned why students would learn such an ugly chapter from the department's history without including lessons on the sweeping Police Department reforms enacted in the last year.

If they can introduce changes made they should. But to act like that is even linear is absurd.

Had the CPD and City government actually confronted how something like Burge could have happened on their watch and really grappled with it, there may not have needed to be reforms 25 years later largely forced on the City after a shocking shooting of a teenager.