Inauguration Day: God Bless America

greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
I told you I'm a Republican yet I voted for Obama last time. I did not vote for Trump or Hillary this time. I also told you I didn't vote for Romney as I didn't like him. I despise Hillary, of course I do. But if she had won I wouldn't have continued the rant until the next presidential race was underway. I am an American. I don't understand those who actively root against the President. If he does well it helps you and me! I would show Obama respect despite the fact I thought he was a lousy President. I thought I was gracious in my initial post on this thread.

one.) That's sad. I am an American first and foremost. Yes I'd complain incessantly about her in 3 years during the next campaign if she had been lousy.

two. He may not deserve a clean slate, but our President deserves a clean slate. Don't you want prosperity?? I do. I want some money.

I dunno. I like Bill Clinton. I love Jimmy Carter. I didn't like Obama.

I think I told you before, the military LOVES Trump. I know that for a fact. I can't believe we Americans can't get along.

What policies has he proposed that will bring prosperity to the typical family of four earning $30-60,000 per year in Lawrence, KS?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 04:44 AM)
Wait. I thought it was Obama who was giving all of us free stuff!

greg I'm confused. I sit here, cross-legged and starry-eyed, awaiting your tutelage.

I mean he'll improve the economy enough I hope that I can make more money working and save money on price of things, etc. He's supposed to help business owners make more loot and maybe they'll pass it on to me.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 04:58 AM)
We need to be civil to each other.

I liked your entire post, but especially that line.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 05:56 AM)
What policies has he proposed that will bring prosperity to the typical family of four earning $30-60,000 per year in Lawrence, KS?

He's supposed to work his ass off to turn the economy around with Laffer's policies.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 10:58 PM)
Here's the thing that I think is lost on trump and a lot of republicans. After a very bitter presidential race, where the person who got the most votes, didn't win, this county needs to heal and be brought together. Only trump can do this. It was the same thing after 2000. Whether it was Bush or 9/11 the country came together rather quickly and moved forward.we don't need to agree on everything, but we need to be civil to each other.

So either trump needs to do something to make this happen, or something will happen to all of us forcing this to happen, or this country will be in a very bad place 4 years from now.

In addition people need to start acting better too. Including the asshole speeding down my sleepy suburban street today, with kids outside playing mind you, in his gigantic pickup truck with trump flags flying and his stereo at max capacity.

Can trump be the "adult in the room" and bring us back together again???

Can trump be the "adult in the room" and bring us back together again???

You know the answer to that is no...

See: how he and the White House Press Secretary reacted to the media's coverage of his inauguration.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 12:33 AM)
I mean he'll improve the economy enough I hope that I can make more money working and save money on price of things, etc. He's supposed to help business owners make more loot and maybe they'll pass it on to me.

I liked your entire post, but especially that line.

He's supposed to work his ass off to turn the economy around with Laffer's policies.

http://economistsview.typepad.com/economis...ffer-curve.html

Is the goal to increase the deficit? That's the only thing we know will happen historically.

“I am so behind you,“ Trump said, adding, “You’re (the CIA) gonna get so much backing. Maybe you’re gonna say, please, don't give us so much backing, Mr. President, please, we don’t need that much backing.”

Trump, who endorsed bringing back torture during the campaign, also said at the CIA that he would destroy the Islamic State. “We have not used the abilities that we have (referring apparently to enhanced interrogation/rendition),” he said. “We’ve been restrained.”

Trump repeated another campaign line — about how the United States should have taken the oil when it invaded Iraq — and said, “maybe you’ll have another chance,“ without further explanation.

Trump went on to boast about how many covers of Time magazine he has appeared on. And then he singled out a Time magazine reporter, by name, for making a reporting error about a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr., being removed from the Oval Office on Friday, for which the reporter has already publicly apologized.

Trump also touted his intellect in a brief aside. “Is Donald Trump an intellectual? Trust me, I’m like a smart person,” he said.

Trump’s unusual appearance earned the quick rebuke of Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee. “He will need to do more than use the agency memorial as a backdrop if he wants to earn the respect of the men and women who provide the best intelligence in the world,” Schiff said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trum...-langley-233971

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-hotel-star...-081621559.html

The Trump Organization has directed that no communications of the organization, including social media accounts, will reference or otherwise be tied to President-elect Trump's role as president of the United States or the office of the presidency," a company attorney wrote in a briefing released earlier this month.

Trump has voluntarily taken these measures, since few conflict laws apply to the president or vice president. That means people will have to trust that the president and his company are following through.

"We are waiting for you Mr. President! Thank you!" Trump's Washington hotel wrote on its Twitter account shortly before the president was scheduled to roll past the Pennsylvania Avenue property as part of the inaugural parade. Indeed, Trump hopped out of his motorcade to walk and wave in front of the hotel.

The tweet would appear to violate the company's no-reference-to-the-president policy.

Trump Organization representatives did not respond to requests for comment.

Patricia Tang, the Washington hotel's director of sales and marketing — who said she was responsible for social media — did not directly answer a question about the possible violation. But she said, "We have nothing to do with the administration. We have nothing to do with the presidency. We just want to be the best possible luxury hotel that we can be."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 01:33 AM)

1) Do you believe trickle down economics works?

2) Which of his policies do you feel will accomplish this?

3) In 2008, stock market was sub 10,000. Today it's near 20,000. That's doubling the strength of the economy over eight years. You really think Trump will do better?

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 06:57 AM)
1) Do you believe trickle down economics works?

2) Which of his policies do you feel will accomplish this?

3) In 2008, stock market was sub 10,000. Today it's near 20,000. That's doubling the strength of the economy over four years. You really think Trump will do better?

The stock market returns averaged 17.4% per year under Clinton.

http://www.forbes.com/2004/07/21/cx_da_0721presidents.html

Greg will argue that the average middle class family wasn't able to invest in the market due to inadequate savings and that wage growth for the middle class has been flat for 30 years.

Of course, that has very little to do with Obama...and those stock market gains Trump is getting credit for since the election aren't going to last if Trump's policies are enacted.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
FWIW the DJIA and "the economy" are not the same thing

Yes, you have to look at the unemployment rate, GDP growth, CPI/inflation indexes as well as interest rates, home purchases, PPI, import/export numbers, balance of payments and trade deficit, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
The stock market returns averaged 17.4% per year under Clinton.

http://www.forbes.com/2004/07/21/cx_da_0721presidents.html

Greg will argue that the average middle class family wasn't able to invest in the market due to inadequate savings and that wage growth for the middle class has been flat for 30 years.

Of course, that has very little to do with Obama...and those stock market gains Trump is getting credit for since the election aren't going to last if Trump's policies are enacted.

Uh.... no he won't. I've never seen that cogent an argument come out of a greg post haha

He'll say something like "can't we all just get along"?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
of course they aren't. you think greg can handle complexities?

Greg has appeared on the same number of Time Magazine covers as everyone else at SoxTalk.

Richard Nixon, by the way, is first with 55. Not Trump. FDR second. HRC 19 times.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix...m=.e1b88b944259

When lies become "fake news" and now we get Conway's "alternate facts" and unfortunately 1/4th or 1/3rd of the country is willing to believe them or look the other way.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rascouet?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And of course the Twitter source for that insightful Trump media strategy outline is getting battered by right wing social media for not oublicly identifying the source or simply making things up to fit a narrative.

"But I'm worried about tweeting now because I've been able to not be harassed much thus far and this might change now."

You know things are bad when Nazi Germany/Maoist China/Russia/Mussolini come to mind on a daily basis as perfectly appropriate comparisons. Freedom of speech and the press are always the first to go. Educational indoctrination/destroying intellectual curiosity comes second.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 10:32 PM)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix...m=.e1b88b944259

When lies become "fake news" and now we get Conway's "alternate facts" and unfortunately 1/4th or 1/3rd of the country is willing to believe them or look the other way.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rascouet?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And of course the Twitter source for that insightful Trump media strategy outline is getting battered by right wing social media for not oublicly identifying the source or simply making things up to fit a narrative.

Trump is a thin-skinned egomaniac, no doubt about that. For many decades now, he's never faced any opposition in the business world from anybody. Everybody's kissed his butt, so to speak for decades. America knew this and still elected him president. So big deal. If he can do the job, great. If he can't, well, the next election cycle will probably begin in 2.5 years. It will go by fast. So we shall see. But nobody should be surprised by his ego surfacing again and again.

I just want results. Improve the economy, baby. Build up the military. improve health care.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
Trump is a thin-skinned egomaniac, no doubt about that. For many decades now, he's never faced any opposition in the business world from anybody. Everybody's kissed his butt, so to speak for decades. America knew this and still elected him president. So big deal. If he can do the job, great. If he can't, well, the next election cycle will probably begin in 2.5 years. It will go by fast. So we shall see. But nobody should be surprised by his ego surfacing again and again.

I just want results. Improve the economy, baby. Build up the military. improve health care.

I'm willing to bet one of your houses that you will change your tune within a year.

While I would love to be wrong....Greg, we currently have 19 aircraft carriers, China has one (built on a Russian shell) and is now building their first close to original one. #2 in the world has four.

Don't you believe that instead of building ships the Navy isn't even asking for that it would be better to allocate tax revenues to Social Security and Medicare...programs designed to provide a safety net for American middle class families?

And do you really want to go to war with China or, more likely, in the Middle East yet again?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)

Welcome to the new Republican party. Spend, spend, spend, with no fiscal accountability.

How do you expect to pay for all of this?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/201...ight-now-214678

America, You Look (Exactly) Like An Arab Country Right Now

The moment at which we felt real solidarity with the American people, though, was when we started hearing BBC reporters talking to your citizens with the patronizing tone they normally reserve for the Middle East. Correspondents were sent to far-flung corners of the United States to talk to farmers and factory workers to try to understand how they feel and to ask condescending questions. I’m from the British Broadcasting Corporation, are you familiar with the BBC? Where do you get your news from? Do you feel angry? Does religion play a role in how you are voting?. (The only thing missing were pictures of people with blue ink on their thumbs; please consider introducing that practice in the future.)

There was talk, too, of rural strongholds and urban bastions. Deep social and geographic divisions whose origins go back in time. They’re not quite tribal divisions, but there was more than enough religious and political sectarianism to ignite our interest. Who are the liberals and the conservatives and how did their disagreement begin? What’s the difference between alt-right and the Tea Party? What’s the origin of the schism between the neo-conservatives and paleoconservatives? Watching foreign correspondents trying to explain the differences was mesmerizing.

And then there’s the unrest. In the lead up to the inauguration, we started to hear about youth protests against the new regime. Come on! This is bordering on plagiarism now. Please write your own plots and stop borrowing ours. Although, we usually wait for leaders to take power before we start protesting; we like your preemptive revolution approach.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)
I didn't realize our military was so weak. We still using prop planes and row boats?

Its the same world where America isnt great anymore.

I call it #alternativefacts.

"Trump had the most successful first weekend of Presidency" #alternativefacts

"Obama's birth certificate is fake." #alternativefacts

"Donald Trump cares about you more than he cares about his wealth." #alternativefacts

Okay to be fair some of those are opinions.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-set-move-...-071739318.html

Russia moves closer to decriminalizing domestic violence. Party like it's 1953....err, 2017.

Simply can't wait for Obama's sanctions to be lifted and our first trade and military cooperation agreements to be signed with them!!!

Great day, beautiful day for all thugs and bullies who have Bobby Knight-like attitudes toward women...Putin, Duterte, Assad, Trump, Ergoyan. We should start to call it The Alliance of Excellence.

Edited by caulfield12