Delmonico

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)
KATOH is a statistical modeling system. Most scouting tends to avoid stats or only take them into account as a smallish part of the picture, so KATOH will often show very differently than scouting type views.

But one of the lists is Katoh+ which does take some of those things into consideration.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
I'm fine with him getting reps at third to begin the season personally. If he looks rough, try pulling the plug and play him in LF from then until there is room for him at the MLB level.

Might as well. A nice swing is harder to teach.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
It's really all about the Options situation with Davidson not having any and Delmonico having them. It's that simple. But if Davidson flops, Delmonico probably comes up (outside chance it could be Hayes instead).

Here's a prospect profile on Delmonico by the way, for those who don't know some of the strange back story with him.

Delmonico's defense doesn't have to be above average, but he's got to be at least MLB-playable. And if he can do that at 1B, 3B and corner OF, he suddenly becomes appealing as a utility player (and DH) you can plug in 5 days a week with some offensive potential.

Thanks. Futuresox needs more love imo.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 24, 2017 -> 07:56 AM)
23 isn't super old but it's not super young either. He might be one of those guys that develops at a later age. I hope he gets some time in Chicago this season. He's an interesting prospect for sure.

Several 3B didn't really get it until they were 25+ (Donaldson, Frazier, e.g.)

Let him play OF in the minors for a year; and if he can hit, there's a place for him.

One thing he does is take walks, so that's hopeful.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 25, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
Several 3B didn't really get it until they were 25+ (Donaldson, Frazier, e.g.)

There were a lot of people who thought Robin Ventura would never play 3B in the Major Leagues. Six Gold Gloves later...

This is a good discussion, but it seems like some are forgetting that the Sox play in the AMERICAN League. If all he can do is hit, there will be a spot in the lineup for him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 25, 2017 -> 10:30 PM)
Again...his swing looks good. That HR was crushed today. I don't know how he can hit off speed stuff / outside pitches, but he's crushed some inside pitches.

At least 2 perhaps 3 of his 4 HR's have been off lefties which I consider a good sign . He also has the most AB's of any Sox player on the spring, so he is definitely being given a long look.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 26, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
At least 2 perhaps 3 of his 4 HR's have been off lefties which I consider a good sign . He also has the most AB's of any Sox player on the spring, so he is definitely being given a long look.

Everything I've seen about him, the guy looks like a big leaguer (offensively). Defensively, he looked like a mess in the outfield, so I should point that out. I believe it is a relatively new position for him though. I would presume his arm is strong enough to play (given he was a 3B). I want to see what this kid can do. He's certainly making it tough for the Sox.