**World Soxtalk Championship Wrestling Thread V**

By the way, Kairi Sane may be the person I look forward to watching most in WWE right now.

My top:

Kairi Sane

Adam Cole

Velveteen Dream

Aleister Black

Asuka

Nakamaru

AJ Styles

Sami Zayn / KO

Braun Strowman

Bayley

Finn Balor + the Club

Maybe 1 or 3 others that I am forgetting.

Rollins is on the rise for me, will see how he's handled.

But MAN Kairi Sane's elbow drops at the Rumble... thing of beauty! She is absolutely marvellous.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 06:51 PM)
Having the women's rumble go on last is the dumbest thing I've ever seen

King of Hyperbole strikes again.

I’m the social climate, it made perfect sense and made even more sense after the fact with Rousey showing up. Media coverage everywhere. Thought Asuka w/ Bella’s at f3 was kinda dumb. Hate those twins.

Torrie and Trish. Good Gawd. Still money.

Two fun Rumbles where we were finally given winners we want.

I’ll even admit that i think it’s time for Brock to go. Still a fan but WWE missed out on riding a Braun run while he was super hot, just to get to this Roman s***fest at Mania.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 07:18 AM)
The women's rumble was pretty awful but with the low expectations I think it came off better than expected. The Rousey signing should be great.

Why did you think it was awful? I thought it was extremely well done with a great mix of nostalgia and current wrestlers.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 06:58 AM)
King of Hyperbole strikes again.

I’m the social climate, it made perfect sense and made even more sense after the fact with Rousey showing up. Media coverage everywhere. Thought Asuka w/ Bella’s at f3 was kinda dumb. Hate those twins.

Torrie and Trish. Good Gawd. Still money.

Two fun Rumbles where we were finally given winners we want.

I’ll even admit that i think it’s time for Brock to go. Still a fan but WWE missed out on riding a Braun run while he was super hot, just to get to this Roman s***fest at Mania.

I am a fan of Brock Lesnar as well, I just hate how WWE uses him. He is taking the top spot on Raw and it's going to climax to a fan-hated Lesnar vs. Reigns at WM main event.

He could be used in great ways in great feuds that aren't belt-dependent and I'd be all over it. Braun vs. Brock in a good feud lasting 3-5 PPV's is fine with me without the belt on the line (or even with the belt on the line, but without the looming Brock vs. Reigns WM appearance ruining any unpredictability).

Always can do Brock vs. Balor/other smaller wrestler in a david vs. goliath. Brock vs. Joe was an amazing build, but once again ruined by predictability.

Alexa Bliss and Braun Strowman are the greatest tag-team I never knew I needed until it became a thing.

That had to be the most *sports entertaining* match I've watched in eons. Just all around perfect.

I really wish they'd allow this mixed-match to bleed over into regular WWE canon (if you could call it that), Bliss and Strowman would make such a perfect Black Widow/Hulk combo it's not even funny. Just portray her as the ONLY person Strowman likes, and have her use him to wreck faces whenever she's in a bad mood. Would just be amazing.

That Twisted Bliss off his shoulders was amazing.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 10:30 AM)
Alexa Bliss and Braun Strowman are the greatest tag-team I never knew I needed until it became a thing.

That had to be the most *sports entertaining* match I've watched in eons. Just all around perfect.

I really wish they'd allow this mixed-match to bleed over into regular WWE canon (if you could call it that), Bliss and Strowman would make such a perfect Black Widow/Hulk combo it's not even funny. Just portray her as the ONLY person Strowman likes, and have her use him to wreck faces whenever she's in a bad mood. Would just be amazing.

That Twisted Bliss off his shoulders was amazing.

Did you see the video of Braun trying to teach Alexa to flip a car? It's funny.

All he little videos the teams have been putting out have been fun.

Between those and Talking Smack/Raw Talk, it would be great if they'd just let these guys do non scripted stuff and show their real personalities.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 12:55 PM)
Did you see the video of Braun trying to teach Alexa to flip a car? It's funny.

All he little videos the teams have been putting out have been fun.

Between those and Talking Smack/Raw Talk, it would be great if they'd just let these guys do non scripted stuff and show their real personalities.

Yes, it was hilarious and it's to be continued -- I hope Alexa smashes the car with a mack truck or uses a fork lift to flip it now. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 6, 2018 -> 06:06 AM)
Raw last night was fantastic

Who are you and what did you do with B>W? Just kidding.

That crowd was dead but Asuka maybe the best part of Raw right now. Didn't see 3 way but Elias pinning Cena works. Great promo by Alexa as well.

Hopefully Finn gets into Chamber, eliminates Miz, Miz costs Finn to get eliminated, setting them up for Mania.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 6, 2018 -> 08:47 AM)
Who are you and what did you do with B>W? Just kidding.

That crowd was dead but Asuka maybe the best part of Raw right now. Didn't see 3 way but Elias pinning Cena works. Great promo by Alexa as well.

Yeah, still not getting the Asuka thing. :huh

Can I take a moment to say i miss Bayley very much. I miss her being prevelant and having real storylines. I am so angry that WWE destroyed here with horrificly bad booking decisions

Also, why in the hell is Becky Lynch not more presented? She is easily the 1b womens wrestler to 1a Charlotte (Although Asuka is right there, maybe topping them soon). They have her and Charlotte on the same brand and they couldn't do anything there? It's just sad. Becky is the complete babyface package with amazing in-ring work and a strong following.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 6, 2018 -> 04:20 PM)
Can I take a moment to say i miss Bayley very much. I miss her being prevelant and having real storylines. I am so angry that WWE destroyed here with horrificly bad booking decisions

Also, why in the hell is Becky Lynch not more presented? She is easily the 1b womens wrestler to 1a Charlotte (Although Asuka is right there, maybe topping them soon). They have her and Charlotte on the same brand and they couldn't do anything there? It's just sad. Becky is the complete babyface package with amazing in-ring work and a strong following.

I like Becky more than Charlotte, but Charlotte is up there. Becky is underrated and underutilized to a shameful degree. And I don't even consider Asuka a thing. She's boring and predictable, can't cut a promo, so other than "being an ass kicker" -- or so I've heard -- I don't know what she's about or why I'm supposed to care. As someone that never watched much NXT, and still doesn't, I just have no connection with her on the main roster. And I've yet to really see anything special in her matches that supersedes solid character or promo work that can get her to connect with me. A couple of strikes or kicks and Naomi's booty bang move and somehow getting on a boring armbar finisher that's more suited for a heel than a babyface? Not getting it. Zzzz. And her streak just makes me not care about the predictable nature of her matches.

Just my opinion.

They need to repackage Bayley, the underdog that "doesn't belong" gimmick died the second she the won the world title. Her little snark comment about beating Sasha on RAW was solid, that's the way they should write her. Happy go lucky who lobs a grenade at least once in each promo she appears in.

This past RAW was also the first time I've seen the WWE book Alexa properly in a LONG time. That's the character she should ALWAYS be; the weasel champion that makes excuses and leans on things like feminism while clearly not actually caring about feminism, just to keep her spot at the top. Also, stop making her win clean, but squeak out wins via underhanded tactics.

I think you are sadly right about Bayley (my numba 1). They destroyed her underdog gimmick by giving her the title on Raw against charlotte. Just an insanely stupid thing to do that I've written about in this thread multiple times.

Repacking her as a snarky babyface is a smart idea on her way to regaining glory. I'd be down with that.

I'm with you in regards to becky, completely underused and possibly even better than Charlotte in the ring.

I think you need to give Asuka some time. She is fantastic in the ring and while her undefeated streak may be a hamper on her matches currently, it should set up for some great feuds down the road after they built her completely up. Someone has to break her undefeated streak (unfortunately, that likely will be Ronda Rousey and not an up and comer or someone like Banks/Bayley who could use it down the line to regain relevancy).

Man, I miss Bayley having that spark. :( Why did they put her on the microphone week in and week out, UGH.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 05:26 PM)
I think you are sadly right about Bayley (my numba 1). They destroyed her underdog gimmick by giving her the title on Raw against charlotte. Just an insanely stupid thing to do that I've written about in this thread multiple times.

Repacking her as a snarky babyface is a smart idea on her way to regaining glory. I'd be down with that.

I'm with you in regards to becky, completely underused and possibly even better than Charlotte in the ring.

I think you need to give Asuka some time. She is fantastic in the ring and while her undefeated streak may be a hamper on her matches currently, it should set up for some great feuds down the road after they built her completely up. Someone has to break her undefeated streak (unfortunately, that likely will be Ronda Rousey and not an up and comer or someone like Banks/Bayley who could use it down the line to regain relevancy).

Man, I miss Bayley having that spark. :( Why did they put her on the microphone week in and week out, UGH.

Bayley could be fine on the mic, if they put her in the right position. When they do have her talk, she's too "woe is me" and pandering as of late, and she seems unsure about the things she's saying because, quite frankly, this writing team just has no attention span. That said, while promos aren't her strong suit, that could be solved by giving her someone that she can snark off of.

I don't write for the WWE, but if I did, I'd pitch the following storyline for Bayley:

Alexa Bliss is clearly looking for some sort of help/sidekick based on her saving Mikey James from Absolution -- not because she cares about James, but because she's looking for some backup in the Elimination Chamber. Mickey James is the wrong choice for this all things considered.

Bayley would be a MUCH BETTER fit for this role. It's perfect for her. So how do we get there? Bliss should bump into Bayley backstage, and in her "annoyed at the world" b****y tone of voice, completely berate her for being such a clueless idiot. Call her the dork in school nobody liked, poke fun at the side ponytail and the constant pandering for "hugs", etc...but instead of taking the predictable route the WWE would usually go with and have Bayley challenge Bliss to a rematch -- Bayley should be left looking like an idiot.

In a later segment, Bayley should go to Bliss and tell her she doesn't get it...she doesn't know what it's like to be "that girl". That one that's never belonged (this plays off the old Bayley underdog character) and Bliss can say, you don't have to be that girl, you choose to be. So why don't you hug your ass out of my locker room, loser...

NEXT SHOW Bayley should be shown losing a match, her frustration growing even further. Have Renee Young go to interview her and have Bayley put on a typical cringeworthy Bayley promo -- and an exasperated Bliss interrupts her. Tells her to stop talking, she doesn't owe any of these idiots an explanation and she sounds like a moron anyway. Have Bliss berate the crowd for picking on the "nerd of the WWE", etc. The idea of Bliss berating others for doing exactly what she does needs to come across pretty clearly here.

Later in the show, Absolution attack Bayley backstage, and leave her laying, making fun of her all the while. When Absolution exit, Bliss enters the scene and calls her pathetic...but says come find me when you get your butt up off the floor -- I know what it's like to get attacked by those girls (throwback to when Absolution attacked Bliss).

In a later segment, we show Bayley take a deep breath and knock on Alexa's door...end scene.

NEXT SHOW. Now we start repackage Bayley as cool girl Bliss's new sidekick, and we slowly start rolling out appearance changes. Gone is the side ponytail -- you can film vignettes with Bliss telling her to change her appearance, etc...and slowly the rest of Bayley's look begins to change. More edgy colors, no silly tassels, etc. At this point, wherever Bliss goes, Bayley follows. Now Bliss cuts promos for the both of them while Bayley stands beside her and laughs/snarks -- lobbing verbal grenades at whoever Bliss is talking about.

This Bayley would be infinitely more interesting and it sets up a babyface turn in the future for Bliss when Bayley starts getting more successful than even she is -- and now cool girl Bayley tells Bliss she doesn't need her anymore.

Or whatever.

Keep Bayley how she is so she can continue to suck. ;)

lmfao.

I'll admit that that scenario makes Bayley relevant and would make her a main event playa, but that destroys everything bayley is about. Bayley is the ultimate babyface and that's why she is #1. Having her side with Bliss as a heel (while an interesting idea) is devastating to what Bayley is. At that point, might as well just rename the character. Bayley should never go heel.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 05:50 PM)
lmfao.

I'll admit that that scenario makes Bayley relevant and would make her a main event playa, but that destroys everything bayley is about. Bayley is the ultimate babyface and that's why she is #1. Having her side with Bliss as a heel (while an interesting idea) is devastating to what Bayley is. At that point, might as well just rename the character. Bayley should never go heel.

My point is Bayleys character is dead anyway, ever since she won the title, that character was done for.

It’s time they move on and recreate her now.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 03:36 AM)
So, Raw has opened with a 7 person gauntlet match... it's... 8:40pm and the match still isn't over. Not sure how I feel about this. Pure wrestling for nearly 2 hours.

It's been great. Not sure how anyone could be disappointed in it

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 08:51 PM)
It's been great. Not sure how anyone could be disappointed in it

It was great. Anyone who thinks otherwise is irrelevant. Everyone came out looking good.

Loved the backstage interviews of the guy eliminated during the match. Felt legit and authentic.

They definitely changed their creative ways since Raw25.

Can’t wait for Reigns to win Sunday so we can go back to the predictable ways. Braun is the only option but they’ll pass unfortunately.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:06 AM)
It was great. Anyone who thinks otherwise is irrelevant. Everyone came out looking good.

Loved the backstage interviews of the guy eliminated during the match. Felt legit and authentic.

They definitely changed their creative ways since Raw25.

Can’t wait for Reigns to win Sunday so we can go back to the predictable ways. Braun is the only option but they’ll pass unfortunately.

This is an incredibly markish outlook, and honestly, I dislike this attitude from a lot of "modern wrestling fans". No, anyone that thinks otherwise isn't irrelevant, they just don't share your opinion.

That said, now you get my opinion on the matter...

Now, all I ask is you hear me out before you dismiss my opinion as "irrelevant", please.

The wrestling was fantastic, as were the backstage interviews after the eliminations, which actually felt real and not rehearsed as usual. This was a much better format, and the interviewers were used perfectly here, seeming to add a lot of emotion to the losses. This aspect of the show was REALLY WELL DONE. THAT SAID, by and large, it made absolutely no f***ing sense. Creative is so -- I don't know how else to word it -- but devoid of creativity that they couldn't possibly come up with some sort of stakes to make this gauntlet matter?!

I don't know, maybe the lone survivor of this gauntlet got a guaranteed shot at the IC title post EC, regardless of the outcome? Whatever the case may be, they could have EASILY come up with something to explain why a group of guys just 6 days out of the Elimination Chamber would kill themselves in this match. Instead, they put these guys into a random gauntlet with nothing at stake, and they go out there and kill themselves for 2 hours ... just for the sake of killing themselves for two hours?

It made everyone involved other than Strowman look like a f***ing idiot (and only because Strowman came out last). Why? Because in six days they'll get a chance to fight these same people FOR A SHOT AT THE WORLD TITLE AT WRESTLEMANIA. They all point at the WM sign enough, so they should know how important it is. Logically speaking, the SMART thing to do would have been to THROW the gauntlet match BECAUSE IT'S MEANINGLESS (I would have LOVED to have seen Miz do this, showing his smarts so he could go into the EC fresh, as opposed to banged up like everyone else). Instead, they all kill themselves for two hours and now when they actually fight the match and it matters -- in kayfabe, in just six days -- they're banged up from fighting in this match for nothing.

What sucks about this is the actual wrestling was fantastic, it just made no sense in story...and this falls one the lazy ass shoulders of creative.

So yea, while the action was great ... some simple story to up the stakes would have made it wayyyyyy better.

---

Most brutal match of the night was Asuka vs Microphone.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:15 AM)
This is an incredibly markish outlook, and honestly, I dislike this attitude from a lot of "modern wrestling fans". No, anyone that thinks otherwise isn't irrelevant, they just don't share your opinion.

That said, now you get my opinion on the matter...

Now, all I ask is you hear me out before you dismiss my opinion as "irrelevant", please.

The wrestling was fantastic, as were the backstage interviews after the eliminations, which actually felt real and not rehearsed as usual. This was a much better format, and the interviewers were used perfectly here, seeming to add a lot of emotion to the losses. This aspect of the show was REALLY WELL DONE. THAT SAID, by and large, it made absolutely no f***ing sense. Creative is so -- I don't know how else to word it -- but devoid of creativity that they couldn't possibly come up with some sort of stakes to make this gauntlet matter?!

I don't know, maybe the lone survivor of this gauntlet got a guaranteed shot at the IC title post EC, regardless of the outcome? Whatever the case may be, they could have EASILY come up with something to explain why a group of guys just 6 days out of the Elimination Chamber would kill themselves in this match. Instead, they put these guys into a random gauntlet with nothing at stake, and they go out there and kill themselves for 2 hours ... just for the sake of killing themselves for two hours?

It made everyone involved other than Strowman look like a f***ing idiot (and only because Strowman came out last). Why? Because in six days they'll get a chance to fight these same people FOR A SHOT AT THE WORLD TITLE AT WRESTLEMANIA. They all point at the WM sign enough, so they should know how important it is. Logically speaking, the SMART thing to do would have been to THROW the gauntlet match BECAUSE IT'S MEANINGLESS (I would have LOVED to have seen Miz do this, showing his smarts so he could go into the EC fresh, as opposed to banged up like everyone else). Instead, they all kill themselves for two hours and now when they actually fight the match and it matters -- in kayfabe, in just six days -- they're banged up from fighting in this match for nothing.

What sucks about this is the actual wrestling was fantastic, it just made no sense in story...and this falls one the lazy ass shoulders of creative.

So yea, while the action was great ... some simple story to up the stakes would have made it wayyyyyy better.

---

Most brutal match of the night was Asuka vs Microphone.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Maybe Brian is irrelevant?

... Eh, anyway.

Yeah, agree on all your points, it was rather odd -- but everything about it was well done except the back story, which is what left me feeling perplexed, I guess. What helps (or doesn't) is that we all know Reigns is winning EC, so I could easily snore on the story anyway.

Either way, there are some impressive efforts being made by the wrestlers as they gear up for WM. Nice to see.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 10:07 AM)
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Maybe Brian is irrelevant?

... Eh, anyway.

Yeah, agree on all your points, it was rather odd -- but everything about it was well done except the back story, which is what left me feeling perplexed, I guess. What helps (or doesn't) is that we all know Reigns is winning EC, so I could easily snore on the story anyway.

Either way, there are some impressive efforts being made by the wrestlers as they gear up for WM. Nice to see.

...and just now on the pre-show Rollins basically agreed with everything I said, by saying what happened on Monday night didn’t matter ... all that matters is tonight.

Yes.

Exactly.

So it’s a good thing you put yourself through hell for zero reason.

Sometimes these “writers” baffle me.

Indeed.

But on to new things... here comes the first ever woman's elimination chamber.

My fav. Bayley starting it out. LET'S GO!

How many botches will these ladies have here? Hmm...

It seems everytime the woman have a big match they botch hard in several spots... and this is coming from a huge fan of woman's wrestling.

Watching the Woman's Chamber...

So, what was the point of Mandy Rose being eliminated early and first... then having Mickie James enter, eliminate Sonya, then get eliminated BEFORE Alexa Bliss even gets into the match??

WHAT was the point of the entire past 2-3 weeks of Raw teasing James+Bliss friendship to over take Absolution?

That makes no sense what so ever.

BOOOOOOOO.