Frank Thomas

Texsox

If I'm all wet, the plan changed and Williams stays G.M. Thomas will exercise his free agent clause. If Danny Evans stays G.M. that's where Frank will go.

I think KW is all but gone, and Frank will finish his career here.

I don't know of Thomas having a bad shoulder at all, just a 'mental thing' about throwing from 1st to 2nd with a runner on the way. If he hit 2 or 3 in the head as they got to 2nd, it might cost a base, or a run or two, but they'd start sliding a little further out of the base path pretty quick.

I read somewhere about 10 years back, that Frank fell out of a tree or something like that as a kid. It supposedly screwed up his shoulder, and that's why he has a funky throwing motion and no confidence as to where its going to go when he lets the ball go. It might have been a football injury, I can't quite remember.

Or it could be "Steve Sax syndrome".

$6 million base, plus incentives, like this season.

If I'm all wet, the plan changed and Williams stays G.M. Thomas will exercise his free agent clause. If Danny Evans stays G.M. that's where Frank will go.

I think KW is all but gone, and Frank will finish his career here.

I don't know of Thomas having a bad shoulder at all, just a 'mental thing' about throwing from 1st to 2nd with a runner on the way. If he hit 2 or 3 in the head as they got to 2nd, it might cost a base, or a run or two, but they'd start sliding a little further out of the base path pretty quick.

So r u implying that if Dan Evans gets canned from LA which is a distinct possibility, could JR possibly look at him as our new GM. I know he used to work for us, but he was dirty that he was named GM and KW was. However I don't think u can hold KW accountable for the season we had. He gave us a chance to win, and the players and management didn't come thru with it. Simple as that.

Guest Ncorgbl

I wish it was a simple as that, but it isn't.

Williams cost the team early in the season, and the changes came too late to overcome the damage done.

But will KW be moved out as GM, NCorg? THAT is the question...will we have to wait long before hearing the answer? I was really hoping he'd finish his recent press conference on a personal note, explaining that the pressing needs of his family have led him to come to the conclusion that he'd be better suited elsewhere within the organization, so he can be closer to the "kids..."

Forkit!

I disagree with all of you. Stop looking at it as a 6MIL option because it's not.

2K4: 6mil+bonus(2mil)

2K5: 8mil+bonus(2mil)

2k6: 10mil+bonus(2mil)

2k7: 12mil+bonus(2mil) or 3mil SOX buyout.

That's guaranteed $ as long as Frank opts to stay with SOX.

You're talking about 27-33mil/3 guaranteed.

Who is going to offer Frank more than that?

Why would a team bother to offer Frank more if they will be likely to secure Frank's services through trade for the same price? If the SOX can't afford to keep Frank, then they will trade him. That's what they gained in this contract.

I don't know why some in the press reported this as a bad contract for Frank. If he opts to stay through 2K6 & earns the bonuses he will make more $ than the old contract paid.

The bonus money comes from top 10 in MVP, sliver slugger award, & all the other stipulations of the old dim skills clause. They turned that into a positive from negative. Frank still might earn some bonus $ this year if he finishes in top 10 in MVP.

Something else to think about: HOME 29 HR's, AWAY 13 HR's

It's in Frank's best interest to keep the Cell as his home team.

Why would LA fire Dan Evans? He's assembled the best pitching staff on the planet while lowering the payroll.

The team OPS was 671 & OPS vs was 657.

657 is unheard of in the modern era!

They won 85 games with one of the worst offenses in the league.

I think the LA brass will give Evans one more yr to correct the lineup.

LA is certainly a team that KW should be talking to about shipping Koney.

Why would LA fire Dan Evans?  He's assembled the best pitching staff on the planet while lowering the payroll. 

Agreed. Heck...Konerko for Thurston wouldn't be a bad trade. Thurston has fell out of love in LA and Konerko could go in there and provide pop. Personally I wouldn't make the deal, but if the Sox take on about 2 mill each season I'd think they would do it.

Or set it up where you take on 2 mill a year if he doesn't reach certain numbers. Thurston could also give the Sox added depth at 2nd base.

Also as far as 1st base/bench what would everyone think about bringing Ventura on to play Daubach's role?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but can't Frank just flat out opt out of this deal and become an UFA?

Doesn't matter....I think we have to get rid of one of Thomas and Konerko and then I think we will probably get rid of Maggs too. Saves us a lot of money in the long run if it does happen.

Why would LA fire Dan Evans?  He's assembled the best pitching staff on the planet while lowering the payroll. 

Agreed. Heck...Konerko for Thurston wouldn't be a bad trade. Thurston has fell out of love in LA and Konerko could go in there and provide pop. Personally I wouldn't make the deal, but if the Sox take on about 2 mill each season I'd think they would do it.

Or set it up where you take on 2 mill a year if he doesn't reach certain numbers. Thurston could also give the Sox added depth at 2nd base.

Also as far as 1st base/bench what would everyone think about bringing Ventura on to play Daubach's role?

Ventura's always been one of my favorites and he can still hit at least as well as Daubach did for us. I'd be in favor of that.

because billy beane wants his job????? ;)

I actually heard that now Seattle wants Billy Beane to be thier GM but apparently the Oakland Owner won't allow em to speak to him. Anyways ship Konerko off to LA, see if we can get Thurston or even Cesar Isturiz? for him. Dan Evans is on da hot seat cos LA has the 4th biggest payroll (which isn't DE's fault e.g Kevin Brown) and they haven't made the playoffs for da last couple of years.

Guest Ncorgbl
But will KW be moved out as GM, NCorg? THAT is the question...will we have to wait long before hearing the answer? I was really hoping he'd finish his recent press conference on a personal note, explaining that the pressing needs of his family have led him to come to the conclusion that he'd be better suited elsewhere within the organization, so he can be closer to the "kids..."

Forkit!

I've been waiting for that announcement since June. Yes, he's going to make it, just not soon enough for me.