Another mass shooting, church in Texas

StrangeSox

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're just coming off of two of the deadliest mass shootings in a little over a month.

Bombs can be devastating, but they require at least some level of skill, knowledge, and planning that going on a shooting rampage doesn't. The Bushmaster you bought at Cabela's is going to reliably fire hundreds of rounds. The pressure cooker bomb may or may not explode or you might blow yourself up building it.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 02:11 AM)
I'm surprised we haven't seen anybody launching a bunch of homemade pipebombs with shrapnel into huge crowds yet.

I'm also surprised that out of 320+ million people living in this country we only get a shooting once a year or so. Speaks volumes to what an absolutely wonderful place this is to live. Just like anywhere else in the world we have some crazies. But our crazies barely ever do damage. Sure sucks when they do though.

Just mind-boggling that only 1 out of 150+ million adults per year gets pissed off enough to go out and do something horrible to random people.

Now gang violence, revenge, general homocide will always happen, guns or no guns. And somebody pissed off enough to want to kill 50 people will clearly be determined enough to find a way without his little ar15. Bombs is when it gets scary. Can't outlaw homemade bombs and I'm thankful nobody is doing that.

The F***?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 07:23 AM)
We're just coming off of two of the deadliest mass shootings in a little over a month.

Bombs can be devastating, but they require at least some level of skill, knowledge, and planning that going on a shooting rampage doesn't. The Bushmaster you bought at Cabela's is going to reliably fire hundreds of rounds. The pressure cooker bomb may or may not explode or you might blow yourself up building it.

Its monumentally easier to run to wal mart and buy a killing instrument than building your own. Same with ammo. Some people out there can make their own, but overwhelmingly its not a skill the casual owner has.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 12:11 AM)
I'm surprised we haven't seen anybody launching a bunch of homemade pipebombs with shrapnel into huge crowds yet.

I'm also surprised that out of 320+ million people living in this country we only get a shooting once a year or so. Speaks volumes to what an absolutely wonderful place this is to live. Just like anywhere else in the world we have some crazies. But our crazies barely ever do damage. Sure sucks when they do though.

Just mind-boggling that only 1 out of 150+ million adults per year gets pissed off enough to go out and do something horrible to random people.

Now gang violence, revenge, general homocide will always happen, guns or no guns. And somebody pissed off enough to want to kill 50 people will clearly be determined enough to find a way without his little ar15. Bombs is when it gets scary. Can't outlaw homemade bombs and I'm thankful nobody is doing that.

In the 9 days of November 2017 thus far, there have been 8 mass shootings in the United States.

In 2017 thus far, there have been 307 mass shootings in the United States.

What on Earth do you mean by "we only get a shooting once a year or so"?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
In the 9 days of November 2017 thus far, there have been 8 mass shootings in the United States.

In 2017 thus far, there have been 307 mass shootings in the United States.

What on Earth do you mean by "we only get a shooting once a year or so"?

Unless 25+ people are gunned down, it's so normal that we don't hear about it any more, and we only get one of those every few months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
Unless 25+ people are gunned down, it's so normal that we don't hear about it any more, and we only get one of those every few months.

Even still, saying it happens "about once a year" when the reality is that it happens about once a day demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of this issue.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
Even still, saying it happens "about once a year" when the reality is that it happens about once a day demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of this issue.

I don't think it is, I think it's a fair assessment of how this is treated. Last week a guy walked into a Walmart in Colorado, pulled out a gun, and randomly shot 3 people. That shooting isn't even being counted by the official "mass shooting list" because he only shot 3 people and the cutoff is 4. That's a normal Wednesday in this country. It didn't get flags at half staff or a statement from the President. The ones big enough to talk about happen once or twice a year, we send our thoughts and prayers and do nothing afterwards. The next day, some place that has a flag at half staff will have 3 people shot and it might not even be above the fold in the newspaper. 3 people being shot is not a big deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
I don't think it is, I think it's a fair assessment of how this is treated. Last week a guy walked into a Walmart in Colorado, pulled out a gun, and randomly shot 3 people. That shooting isn't even being counted by the official "mass shooting list" because he only shot 3 people and the cutoff is 4. That's a normal Wednesday in this country. It didn't get flags at half staff or a statement from the President. The ones big enough to talk about happen once or twice a year, we send our thoughts and prayers and do nothing afterwards. The next day, some place that has a flag at half staff will have 3 people shot and it might not even be above the fold in the newspaper. 3 people being shot is not a big deal.

I was about to post about that one, Balta. With respect to that Walmart shooting in Colorado, law enforcement said that because so many people with concealed weapons drew when they heard the gunshots, it made the investigation into the actual shooter was slower (they had to eliminate every person in the store with a gun in their hands).

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/02/shopp...lmart-shooting/

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 12, 2017 -> 07:40 PM)
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Have a hunch this isn't what the framers had in mind...

They had f***ing muskets. They had no idea this many people would feel the need to compensate for something by buying assault rifles.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
They had f***ing muskets. They had no idea this many people would feel the need to compensate for something by buying assault rifles.

I've seen those new stealth bombers fly over at Bears games. At this point, if the government was mad at us, your assault rifle will do nothing, we are all dead.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 12, 2017 -> 06:43 PM)
I don’t think civilians should have assault rifles but you’ve said this before and it’s not true. The revolution times were a time where there were a lot of weapons advancements and there where were inventors making guns that could Up to 30 rounds and have 3 magazines.

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2014/0...peater.html?m=1

Fair to say these were not as readily available or prolific as automatic weapons today?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 12, 2017 -> 08:43 PM)
I don’t think civilians should have assault rifles but you’ve said this before and it’s not true. The revolution times were a time where there were a lot of weapons advancements and there where were inventors making guns that could Up to 30 rounds and have 3 magazines.

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2014/0...peater.html?m=1

There is no similarity between those weapons shooting lead balls and assault rifles. Not to mention none of those were sold on every corner or even sold at all.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 12, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)
Fair to say these were not as readily available or prolific as automatic weapons today?

That page shows an example of gun smiths trying something new. There werent any real advancements in personal firearms until the 1800's and certainly none of these are even close to semi-automatics.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
There's a difference between acting like they had anything near current technology and saying they understood advancements were coming. They knew guns were going to get better and more efficient and that wouldn't affect their concern in government.

No. They didnt know they were going to advance like they are today and they also didnt know about mass production or the materials used today. Pointing out individual gunsmiths who had cartridge type implementations for separating the powder and the lead ball isnt even on the same planet as what we have today.

This whole line of argument is entirely speculative.

And if we are going to speculate, I speculate that the founding fathers would have wanted us to change things that were antiquated.

Otherwise why are we letting non white landholding males vote?

These guys were for the most part pretty liberal thinkers.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
This whole line of argument is entirely speculative.

And if we are going to speculate, I speculate that the founding fathers would have wanted us to change things that were antiquated.

Otherwise why are we letting non white landholding males vote?

These guys were for the most part pretty liberal thinkers.

Thats why the constitution is a living, breathing document that can and should be changed with things like technology advancements. They wanted to build in changes for things they couldnt see.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
"This suggests that the guns themselves cause the violence."

That was an oddly worded sentence in the middle of that article.

What I took from the article is that it's the availability that is the biggest problem. I don't know much about gun laws of the other countries in those charts. Do they restrict what type or how many their citizens can own?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
That was an oddly worded sentence in the middle of that article.

What I took from the article is that it's the availability that is the biggest problem. I don't know much about gun laws of the other countries in those charts. Do they restrict what type or how many their citizens can own?

Yes. Basically all of the developed world.

Some of them even started because they started having mass shootings. They then either stopped having them or found themselves having far fewer.