GM meetings 2017

BlackSox13

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/11/12/cub...eetings-trades/

“We are going to have the same approach we have had the last year-plus,” general manager Rick Hahn said. “When opportunities present themselves to acquire pieces and add to the talent of the core we have accumulated, we will continue to pursue on those opportunities and convert on as many as we can.”

Figured we needed a thread to cover this week's GM meetings and the winter meetings coming in December.

:gosox1:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 07:07 AM)
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/11/12/cub...eetings-trades/

Figured we needed a thread to cover this week's GM meetings and the winter meetings coming in December.

:gosox1:

I find myself checking this site and MLB Trade Rumors a couple times a day, knowing/expecting us not to do anything. I think Abreu is our veteran mentor. I don't think Avi gets you the offer you would want until he proves/disproves it before next years trade deadline. If Avi is playing well you may want to keep him also. Even when he was not performing, I always respected his hustle which is also a good example for the young guys. I think Rule 5 may be interesting or the first real opportunity to add. We just don't have the assets to move at this time. I think our free agents will be smaller flippable types and we may dumpster dive for late signers who don't get what they want and have to scramble late. At this point we are not a prime destination for a premier guy. I guess the one exception may be the taking on a bad contract in a trade route but I don't see that as very likely.

Mainly bummed that this FA class doesn't even have many interesting buy low opps.

Will still be interested in what the marlins do and where Ohtani will go.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even hold off signing players until jan, especially pitchers.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
Mainly bummed that this FA class doesn't even have many interesting buy low opps.

Will still be interested in what the marlins do and where Ohtani will go.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even hold off signing players until jan, especially pitchers.

Yeah it's going to be a boring off-season for sure. At least on our end.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
Yeah it's going to be a boring off-season for sure. At least on our end.

Yep, and this was always going to be the lull. The heavy lifting is done for the rebuild. We have very few veteran type assets, and the ones we have don't have a ton of value. Now we can build only in limited manners and a much more limited timeframe.

Now we are to the waiting part, and see what happens.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2140461...-avisail-garcia

"At some point, not necessarily this offseason, we have to make the decision: Are we best served by extending them through what we project to be the bulk of our (competitive) window, or are we better off making a move like some of the others we've made and trying to reinforce the future with prospects?''

Looks to me unless a significant offer is made this winter, Hahn is going to wait and see how both players perform in 2018 before deciding on their future with the White Sox. Nothing wrong with that.

While I’d love to extend Abreu, you got to listen to offers on him & Avi. I’d really need to be blown away to move Abreu. I think he’s that important to having a quick, successful rebuild. But if someone is offering a legit blue chip prospect and another solid piece, you probably have to make that move. I just don’t see that happening and would rather keep him around to anchor the middle of our lineup and serve as both a mentor and a free agent recruiting tool.

Avi I would definitely accept less for because of the simple fact I don’t want to commit big dollars for him to keep around. Obviously I wouldn’t just give him away, but if I could get a prospect in the 40 to 70 range plus another interesting piece or two I jump all over that. Beyond the fact I’m skeptical of extending him, part of the reason I’m in favor of an Avi trade is Nicky Delmonico. I’m a huge believer in this kid and think he has a chance to be a very solid LF. He needs to be given a full-time opportunity IMO and if you assume Jimenez will push his way up sooner rather than later then there simply isn’t space for all three. Also, given our minor league OF depth (Robert, Rutherford, Adolfo, etc.), I think it’s smarter to roll the dice on Nicky and see where things stand next offseason before committing big money to an OF.