Kiley McDaniel back at Fangraphs

bmags

Interested to see how Eric and Kiley work together. Really enjoy both.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/hello-again/

Kiley had been in the Braves FO and I guess decided to leave. Considering the downward pressure to relieve scouts and cross checkers maybe he found a subscription funded site was the better option.

edit: should be clear EL is still the lead prospect writer per KM, he sounds like he'll be more of an at large writer who will help with prospects.

I like eric with carson. Eric is obviously a very straightforward kind of person who is kind of different from most of their writers but with Carson he actually has some funny moments.

If I was eric I would hate that they got Kiley back. Obviously Kiley is good but eric did a good job and I can't imagine two people doing it together. I hope kiley will do some other stuff and leave eric alone with the prospect stuff or eric probably won't be there too long.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 22, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
I like eric with carson. Eric is obviously a very straightforward kind of person who is kind of different from most of their writers but with Carson he actually has some funny moments.

If I was eric I would hate that they got Kiley back. Obviously Kiley is good but eric did a good job and I can't imagine two people doing it together. I hope kiley will do some other stuff and leave eric alone with the prospect stuff or eric probably won't be there too long.

Kiley has said that, while he may do a prospect thing here or there, his focus will no longer be on prospects.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 22, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)

Give one the AL and one the NL.

I don't think it will be that hard, though in the actual fan graphs podcast it definitely sounded like Kiley would be focused on prospects but would be basically allowed to do what he wanted.

But it seemed like the lead prospect writer was a hell of a lot of work especially with team lists, so I think there is plenty of work to go around there.

One thing that was interested in the podcast was an anecdote he gave about how the scouts ranked this guy in the 2nd-3rd round, but kept showing up around 10-12 in mock drafts. Kiley pointed out that there was some advanced stat and those teams typically focused hard on those in the past.

It was hard to tell if he threw 10-12 out as a random set, but sox were in that. Though we were always mock drafted more closely with Kendall and college pitchers than ever with Burger. I did wonder if it was us because I heard a lot of our selections came from teams that had stat cast data (wake forest/louisville?)

I could be way off.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
I don't think it will be that hard, though in the actual fan graphs podcast it definitely sounded like Kiley would be focused on prospects but would be basically allowed to do what he wanted.

But it seemed like the lead prospect writer was a hell of a lot of work especially with team lists, so I think there is plenty of work to go around there.

One thing that was interested in the podcast was an anecdote he gave about how the scouts ranked this guy in the 2nd-3rd round, but kept showing up around 10-12 in mock drafts. Kiley pointed out that there was some advanced stat and those teams typically focused hard on those in the past.

It was hard to tell if he threw 10-12 out as a random set, but sox were in that. Though we were always mock drafted more closely with Kendall and college pitchers than ever with Burger. I did wonder if it was us because I heard a lot of our selections came from teams that had stat cast data (wake forest/louisville?)

I could be way off.

I believe Kylie was referring to Trackman, and yes, the Sox did take a few guys from teams that use Trackman.

If you remember before KD originally left, he was frequently talking about trying to find time to do a complete tool grade database for every player in the MLB and MiLB, but it was just impossible to even begin with all the list-related work that needed done. Now, he's alluded to taking on "larger scale projects he's been excited about," so I bet he's going to be primarily focused on stuff like that, secondarily on supporting EL and doing other content. Which makes sense.