Who was no. 21?

Kid Gleason

Follow this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=24890&rd=1

It says "legendary number 21". Who wore the number 21? I have never been good in the number game, but looking back, Appling wasn't 21, nor was Aparicio.

Was it Minoso, Pierce...Fox? I can't find anyplace that tells who wore what number through the years. I consider myself somewhat of a "student" of the game, but the numbers are lost on me, and my favorite period to read up on was before the numbers were used.

Anybody?

Hell man, went back and had another look, that is a Cubs jersey, ain't it? Sosa is 21, right? WTF. If this is so, how do I delete this thread?

Follow this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=24890&rd=1

It says "legendary number 21". Who wore the number 21? I have never been good in the number game, but looking back, Appling wasn't 21, nor was Aparicio.

Was it Minoso, Pierce...Fox? I can't find anyplace that tells who wore what number through the years. I consider myself somewhat of a "student" of the game, but the numbers are lost on me, and my favorite period to read up on was before the numbers were used.

Anybody?

Hell man, went back and had another look, that is a Cubs jersey, ain't it? Sosa is 21, right? WTF. If this is so, how do I delete this thread?

Minoso - 9, Pierce 19, Fox 2 (although he wore 26 in 1952).

21's in Sox History through 1971: Gerry Staley 1956-1961, Ray Herbert through 1964, Jim O'Toole in 67, Dan Osinski in 69, Lee Maye in 70, Bart Johnson 1971.

It was also worn by Cal Eldred, Joey Cora, and it was the first number Robin Ventura ever wore for the Sox. Now there was a legend.

That's who I immediately thought of. If you never had an opportunity to see him play you missed a rare treat. He is much too forgotten and far too underrated IMO. Strapped the team on his back and basically carried them in the 71WS.

I wasn't born yet when Clemente Died.

A hero down here. Sammy can't carry Robertos Jock Strap. Believe it or not there was a rumor once in his home town that Sosa was his Bastard Child

I wasn't born yet when Clemente Died.

A hero down here. Sammy can't carry Robertos Jock Strap. Believe it or not there was a rumor once in his home town that Sosa was his Bastard Child

:o That is wild! In any case, no steroids for Roberto, just all heart and talent. What an arm! There were many outfielders in that era with great arms but Clementes was the best. Dwight Evans came close. He was still going strong when he died heroically. Yes Roberto was the real deal both as a man and a ballplayer.