Gamethread: White Sox @ Tigers

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, kwolf68 said:

Not sure what to think about Rey. He has a great arm, but they seem to be really be onto him. Change up is either good or horrible. The horrible ones end up in the OF grass.

He's definitely been an interesting specimen.  

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Another bad 2 strike pitch. He desperately needs to find a strikeout pitch if he wants to be a quality starter.

He's got a high velocity fastball with a low spin rate and nothing else. I said this even when Lopez was going good and Giolito was terribad, that Giolito has infinitely better stuff than Lopez. Lopez doesn't have an out pitch, Giolito has 3 if he can get them over the plate and that is why Giolito's ceiling is TOR starter and Lopez is a fringe starter. There are plenty of pitchers that have come along with good control of a big fastball and nothing else and a 96 mph FB alone isn't enough to get hitters out in the Majors. 

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

I can understand Giolito and some of the other guys, but Lopez might be the single reason I want Cooper gone. That kid has unbelievable stuff, yet can't seem to strike anybody out consistently with it. 

Go back and look at his big strikeout game for the Nats and compare to now.  Where in the world did the filthy slider go?

I can understand Giolito and some of the other guys, but Lopez might be the single reason I want Cooper gone. That kid has unbelievable stuff, yet can't seem to strike anybody out consistently with it. 

It's really hard to justify dumping Cooper.  I just wonder if Reylo was lucky the first half of the season.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

He's got a high velocity fastball with a low spin rate and nothing else. I said this even when Lopez was going good and Giolito was terribad, that Giolito has infinitely better stuff than Lopez. Lopez doesn't have an out pitch, Giolito has 3 if he can get them over the plate and that is why Giolito's ceiling is TOR starter and Lopez is a fringe starter. There are plenty of pitchers that have come along with good control of a big fastball and nothing else and a 96 mph FB alone isn't enough to get hitters out in the Majors. 

Both are huge question marks as to being good enough to pitch for a contending rotation.  

Just now, fathom said:

Both are huge question marks as to being good enough to pitch for a contending rotation.  

I disagree.  They may not be top of the rotation guys, but they're still pretty green to write them off as starters and Reylo has had a very good season.

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Lopez doesn't have unbelievable stuff. If he had a high spin rate on his fastball, he might be able to get away with more but his fastball plays down in velocity to hitters. He might be throwing 96-97, but it only looks like 92-93 to hitters. His secondary pitches are non-existent. I'm just not sure he's good enough to be anything more than a #5 or a long reliever. His stuff(or lack thereof) won't play in the bullpen. 

• Like 1

He had a stretch where he basically abandoned the change (and curve) and was a two pitch pitcher.  What is the point of this season if a guy like Lopez isn’t working on developing a third pitch?  And for that reason alone, I’ve started to question Cooper for the first time in my fandom.

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

I disagree.  They may not be top of the rotation guys, but they're still pretty green to write them off as starters and Reylo has had a very good season.

But, you have to remember that in THIS game he is struggling so that means the Magic is over and he’s washed up

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think you’re the only one on this site who thinks this.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I agree with this, but if I was a betting man, I'd put more money on Giolito than Lopez. Giolito has to throw strikes. If he can do that, he'll be fine. I can't say the same about Lopez. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lopez doesn't have unbelievable stuff. If he had a high spin rate on his fastball, he might be able to get away with more but his fastball plays down in velocity to hitters. He might be throwing 96-97, but it only looks like 92-93 to hitters. His secondary pitches are non-existent. I'm just not sure he's good enough to be anything more than a #5 or a long reliever. His stuff(or lack thereof) won't play in the bullpen. 

Where do you pull your spin rate data from?

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

Yup, he's the only one.  

GTFO with this nonsense.

Who else since 2005 have they drafted and developed into above average besides Rodon?  Legit question, not sarcasm as I can't think of any off the top of my head.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He had a stretch where he basically abandoned the change (and curve) and was a two pitch pitcher.  What is the point of this season if a guy like Lopez isn’t working on developing a third pitch?  And for that reason alone, I’ve started to question Cooper for the first time in my fandom.

Completely agree.