Rebuild phase 2: Free agent spending

joemg311

On 9/13/2018 at 9:36 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't get me wrong . A few years ago when everyone wanted Donaldson as a free agent who might fit into the Sox rebuilding plan I was one of the few who said he'd be too old and I got the typical "I think he will age well" comments back from a lot of guys here. Right now I think the rebuild is in trouble. The Sox have a bunch of stiffs in position players, Kopech got hurt and the next wave of minor league talent is still 2++ years away. Jose Rondon might be the only PP on the 40 who might need a longer look and I doubt he's anything special but worth a look and it probably will be at 3rd base.

So I am not that high on getting Donaldson. It's just while payroll is low this should be the exact time the Sox should start trying to get more viable candidates to be flipped in order to get some AA/AAA talent . As you know I wanted to do that more last year too. And you also know I think I was right because only Narvaez and Palka have stepped forward this year but they both have major deficiencies on defense.

Since it now appears we are another 2++ years away from competing and have a low payroll and FA prices are depressed it seems like the perfect time to take some chances on FA's.

You are really good at saying want you don't want the Sox to do but not real good at saying what you think they should do. I know you and SSK2 don't see eye to eye very much but he seems to be thinking along the same lines as you on this which is wait wait wait or try to sign Machado or Harper somehow thinking they can stick around fora long time while not realizing those guys are going to want opt outs. We also have to take into consideration that the longer we wait the better the chances of Reinsdorf dying and the new CBA negatively affecting our young talent. Right now I think every one of our position players plus Rodon ( Anderson and Moncada the possible exceptions) should be traded or non tendered because they don't fit the new pushed back window or just aren't very good. Try to load up on as much major league ready young talent as you can right now be it flops like Buxton or other guys like him who can play defense but the hitting hasn't developed yet. We have too many lumbering oxen.

Please put yourself out there with a plan as I have done. This is an older thread that has probably run it's course in a part of the season where no one is paying attention so I doubt your views will be attacked by anyone . Just a fan here trying my hardest to figure out what the Sox should do and I'd like other opinions.

On the postgame show last night Garfien was openly promoting the idea of the Sox signing him to play third and bat in the group with Jimenez and Jose'. Melton was a little skeptical because of his injury history.

The Sox are not going to be good enough to contend, next year, unless they acquire another pitcher. If they sign someone to fill out the rotation, then I could see adding Donaldson, on a shorter term contract, providing he's healthy. Assuming they don't trade Avi or Abreu, next year's offense would be pretty competitive:

2B Moncada

RF  Avi

3B Donaldson

1B Abreu

DH Palka

LF  Eloy

C   Narvaez

SS Anderson

CF Engel (With that offense and Eloy and Avi at the corners, they will need his defense in CF)

ROTATION

Rodon

Lopez

Corbin (one possibility)

Giolito

????????

Edited by Lillian

Isnt keuchel a free agent too?  I like corbin, but keuchels been more consistent, and i think his pitching style would translate to less of a breakdown in his 30s since he isnt a power guy.  Id even give keuchel a 4-5 year deal.  Him, donaldson, and herrera in free agency and i think the white sox are competitive again next year (this is assuming they cant get machado or harper).

18 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The Sox are not going to be good enough to contend, next year, unless they acquire another pitcher. If they sign someone to fill out the rotation, then I could see adding Donaldson, on a shorter term contract, providing he's healthy. Assuming they don't trade Avi or Abreu, next year's offense would be pretty competitive:

2B Moncada

RF  Avi

3B Donaldson

1B Abreu

DH Palka

LF  Eloy

C   Narvaez

SS Anderson

CF Engel (With that offense and Eloy and Avi at the corners, they will need his defense in CF)

ROTATION

Rodon

Lopez

Corbin (one possibility)

Giolito

????????

I don't think they are planning on contending next year. They will improve but not by that much.

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't think they are planning on contending next year. They will improve but not by that much.

To me it's clear the 5-year window of winning they're trying to cultivate is 2021-2025....especially now that Kopech's first full season will be 2020 (hopefully).

2019 will be bad. 2020 will be fun as hell (again, hopefully). 2021-2025 playoffs, ALCS's, maybe a World Series or two (have I mentioned hopefully?).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, flavum said:

To me it's clear the 5-year window of winning they're trying to cultivate is 2021-2025....especially now that Kopech's first full season will be 2020 (hopefully).

2019 will be bad. 2020 will be fun as hell (again, hopefully). 2021-2025 playoffs, ALCS's, maybe a World Series or two (have I mentioned hopefully?).

Another “Three Year Plan”.   

• Like 1