Did Dusty screw up last night?

YASNY

I think he did. At the end of 6 innings, the Cubs had what, a 10 run lead or so? Why didn't he go to the pen for the 7th inning? This would have allowed Dusty to use Prior in a crucial situation in Game 4 if necessary. I mean would you rather have Prior on the mound when you are leading by 10 runs in game 2 or would you like to have the option of using him in the 8th inning of game 4 with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out in with a one run lead? Dusty may have just eliminated the option of having Prior come in and get those 2 crucial outs. He may have to use Alfonseco or Guthrie or Veres instead.

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

I absolutely agree with you.  I was saying with that kind of lead Jesus should have only pitched 5 maybe 6 innings tops.  That way they could bring him back much easier on 3 days rest if needed.  Dumb, dumb move IMO.

IIRC, Dusty did the same sort of thing last year mismanaging his starting rotation with the Giants and it cost him the World Series.

Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.

Yep, stupid move by Big Dust.

Although I can understand his reluctance to use that crap bullpen they have, you have to be able to hand them a double-digit lead safely.

Just hope that over-use comes back to haunt them.

And maybe I'm crazy, but Jesus looked A LITTLE more hittable than I've seen him in a while, from the little portion of the game I watched. The fastball wasn't tailing or moving much, and he was in trouble a few times in the game. The Marlins just didn't get that key hit when they needed it.

Could Jesus be hitting that fatigue "wall" now, instead of a few weeks ago like he might have without that brief DL stint?

I don't think it was a mistake. How much difference is there between 75 pitches and 120 pitches when it comes to how long it takes to rest up? And with the bullpen being used heavily on Tuesday, they needed the rest.

I've also heard a lot of analysts sayint that with the way Prior pitches with his legs, it doesn't put that much strain on his arm - so I think he could go on 3 days rest easier than a lot of guys.

I was really surprised he ran him out there for the 8th innning. He was right at 100 pitches (give or take a couple) after 7 which works for me. I questioned right away the decision to bring him out in the 8th. I don't think the idea of using him in Game 4 was or should be a factor. He'll go again in Game 6 and it is very unlikely they would bring him back, even if for a short stint in Game 4.

Hopefully if those guys go again in 6 & 7 by that time the Marlins crew will have had enough time to catch onto what to expect fully, and will be used to Wood and Prior. I have always felt that when you are a pitcher like Wood, you are always playing with fire. His speed is so high, that if the batters get used to you, they will just destroy you. You live and die by speed, the only outs you can get are strike out's.

This is from what I think, and better baseball experts might disagree. But I think that by the end of the series here, if the Marlins hang in there, the mystique of the Cubs starters will be gone.

Guest hotsoxchick1

lol that wasnt dusty who made the choice to leave prior out there.. he had jm tucked away in the corner of the dugout givin him advise......... ;) :lol: :lol:

I think he did.  At the end of 6 innings, the Cubs had what, a 10 run lead or so?  Why didn't he go to the pen for the 7th inning?  This would have allowed Dusty to use Prior in a crucial situation in Game 4 if necessary.  I mean would you rather have Prior on the mound when you are leading by 10 runs in game 2 or would you like to have the option of using him in the 8th inning of game 4 with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out in with a one run lead?  Dusty may have just eliminated the option of having Prior come in and get those 2 crucial outs.  He may have to use Alfonseco or Guthrie or Veres instead. 

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

LMAO. I was saying the same thing, and I was barely paying attention. What REALLY blew my mind, was not pinch hitting for him in the 6th or 7th, whenever he came up to bat. The only thing i can think of is, Dusty doesnt want to ruin his "routine". Maybe 80 pitches would do that? :huh:

His speed is so high, that if the batters get used to you, they will just destroy you. You live and die by speed, the only outs you can get are strike out's.

This is from what I think, and better baseball experts might disagree. But I think that by the end of the series here, if the Marlins hang in there, the mystique of the Cubs starters will be gone.

It doesn't take an expert to respectfully disagree with that. Wood lives and dies by his control (or lack thereof). He's more about ball movement. If he can control it, it's as hard to hit as anyone's, at which point his velocity is used to throw it by the hitter after they've flailed away at breaking balls.

When Wood cannot control his movement is when he lives and dies by the fastball, and that happens often. It just hasn't happened for about a month & ½.

I agree. Baker's gonna use Prior in game 6 and Wood in game 7, if it gets that far.

If history has anything to say about it, no. The Cubs have never won a NLCS game on the road.

1984 - lost three straight in San Diego

1989 - lost three straight in San Francisco

2003 - ???

Hopefully if those guys go again in 6 & 7 by that time the Marlins crew will have had enough time to catch onto what to expect fully, and will be used to Wood and Prior. I have always felt that when you are a pitcher like Wood, you are always playing with fire. His speed is so high, that if the batters get used to you, they will just destroy you. You live and die by speed, the only outs you can get are strike out's.

It's not a matter of getting used to Prior and Wood. Wood, if his control is on, is just about unhittable. Prior basically is unhittable.

You have to hope Wood's control is off, and you need your own pitcher to be at his very best. Then you have a chance.

I was really surprised he ran him out there for the 8th innning.  He was right at 100 pitches (give or take a couple) after 7 which works for me.  I questioned right away the decision to bring him out in the 8th.  I don't think the idea of using him in Game 4 was or should be a factor.  He'll go again in Game 6 and it is very unlikely they would bring him back, even if for a short stint in Game 4.

I agree that it's unlikely he'd use Prior in game 4. But, a smart manager would have at least kept that option open for himself. Boston used Lowe in relief. Why not use an ace like Prior to get you a big out or two when he's scheduled to throw on that day. This isn't the dog days of August. One or two batters came mean a whole season.

I agree that it's unlikely he'd use Prior in game 4.  But, a smart manager would have at least kept that option open for himself.  Boston used Lowe in relief.  Why not use an ace like Prior to get you a big out or two when he's scheduled to throw on that day.  This isn't the dog days of August.  One or two batters came mean a whole season.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......let Baker blow it in peace, would ya???? :P :lol: :fthecubs