Bogaerts Finalizing Extension with Red Sox

Sockin

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

What is the largest contract the Sox have given out?  Oh yeah...

No one should believe it until they see it.

You think JDM to the Sox is unrealistic because they won’t be willing to spend ~$25M more on a player than what they’ve spent previously?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Way over paying for the DH slot and finding ways for it to hurt the rest of their roster is very much a White Sox thing.

It’s definitely realistic, and I wouldn’t call a 4 fWAR producer at $21M AAV an overpay. Weren’t you the one that said 1 fWAR = $9M on the open market?

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Where else are you going to spend big though?  We can afford multiple sizable expenditures as long as the durations are reasonable.

Yep and JDM makes everyone around him in the lineup better. Would be a great mentor for Moncada, Madrigal, and Eloy for the next 4 years.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep and JDM makes everyone around him in the lineup better. Would be a great mentor for Moncada, Madrigal, and Eloy for the next 4 years.

We’re going to need a big bat to pair with Eloy while the next wave of young guys are developing and there is no better option than JDM.  I get spending big on a DH isn’t always the best utilization of resources, but the dude is a top 3 hitter and we unprecedented financial flexibility and very little to spend it on.  Unfortunately everything is black and white to Balta and he’d rather die with a boatload of cash than use it in a slightly less than ideal manner.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’re going to need a big bat to pair with Eloy while the next wave of young guys are developing and there is no better option than JDM.  I get spending big on a DH isn’t always the best utilization of resources, but the dude is a top 3 hitter and we unprecedented financial flexibility and very little to spend it on.  Unfortunately everything is black and white to Balta and he’d rather die with a boatload of cash than use it in a slightly less than ideal manner.

JDM is a perfect fit for the Sox. And paying him ~$85M over 4 years is certainly not an overpay. I don’t care that he’ll be 32 years old. He’s showing no signs of slowing down any time soon. The guy just mashes and has proven to be a strong leader and mentor to younger players in the clubhouse. 

3 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

That’s one.  There was another guy who argued like crazy with me on this.

You said, WITH all those guys on the market, that the FA class was garbage. That's patently and obviously wrong. You never said "All of these guys will sign extensions and won't be available", and even if you did say that, UNTIL it happened, it was shaping up to be a very good class.

It's turning in to mediocre NOW, but you don't get to pat yourself on the back for pretending that Cole, Sale, Goldschmidt, Bogearts, Rendon, Martinez, Verlander, Bumgarner, Ozuna, Grandal, and Gennett is not a great class.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My personal favorite setup is drafting Vaughn, having Alonso's option vest, signing Martinez, and then having Abreu surprise the team and accept a qualifying offer. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

My personal favorite setup is drafting Vaughn, having Alonso's option vest, signing Martinez, and then having Abreu surprise the team and accept a qualifying offer. 

I’d be surprised if Abreu isn’t extended before this season concludes, likely thru the 2021 or 2022 season. And why does Vaughn matter in this discussion? Even if he’s as truly advanced as some say, he’s not up until Spring 2021 at the earliest. Obviously Alonso would be gone by then and if the Sox are fortunate enough to sign JDM and extend Abreu, they could work Vaughn into 1b slowly during the 2021 before assuming the role full time in 2022. If Abreu is extended thru the 2022 season and still productive going into his age 35 season then that’s a good problem to have. It’s been awhile since this team had more hitters than positions to fill....

This signing would push Boston to a $220 million payroll next year and put them into the full "Every year" tax paying penalty for that season, but Martinez opting out could push them back under the tax line. If they were willing to pay a similar price next year as what they're paying this year, they could quite readily extend Betts, bump up Martinez a little, and afford it.