NL Wildcard Round

flavum

Over at Cubbie Blue, a Cub fan pointed out that the Cubs got as many hits in two games as Tim Anderson did in three. Another showed the Cubs post-season record since 2016 and it was 2-7, mostly from scoring one or none in a game. Yes, the hits just keep coming.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, flavum said:

Looking like all four series next week are division opponents. 

Padres executing the bullpen game pretty easily. 

Would be first shutout from entirely bullpen game in MLB history. 

Looks like Lamet will be back, but Clevinger doubtful.  

Big test will be going for it by bringing up Mackenzie Gore.  That's asking so much out of a rookie to debut in the playoffs against the best team in baseball. 

Edited by caulfield12

15 hours ago, flavum said:

The Cubs got a ring in their run. That was the goal. They did it. Now the run is over. 

It was a good run, I must admit. If my memory serves right, they went to the post season five out of the last six years. If the Sox ever do that, I'll be more than happy. But the Cub fans no longer think losing is lovable. And losing is on its way at least for a couple of seasons. Hope Cub fans enjoy that Marquee network.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Silly Padres for strengthening their bullpen at the deadline

Hill and Rosenthal from the Royals, Adams from the Mariners...and then Morejon and Patino internally were/are two of their top 3-4 starting pitching prospects.  Pagan in the offseason from the Rays to take off some of the late inning pressure from Yates and Stammen/Strahm (Royals).   Pomeranz (nearly everyone questioned that contract, but he was a huge factor) as a FA.  Pierce Johnson was at one point a Cubs’ starting pitching prospect.

HUGE amount of tinkering to get the exact right combination over the last 24 months,

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

It was a good run, I must admit. If my memory serves right, they went to the post season five out of the last six years. If the Sox ever do that, I'll be more than happy. But the Cub fans no longer think losing is lovable. And losing is on its way at least for a couple of seasons. Hope Cub fans enjoy that Marquee network.

2018 collapse at end and then getting knocked into WC by Milwaukee, then nothing last year.  2-7 in post season since the Workd Series.

That said, the same number of postseasons (this decade) as the White Sox going back to 1993...and just two more gets you all the way back to 1959. 

We better get at least 3-4 more in 154-162 game seasons for this rebuild to be considered a true success.