Merkin attempts to clean up TLR comments

caulfield12

https://www.mlb.com/news/tony-la-russa-clarifies-comments-about-white-sox-roster

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- White Sox manager Tony La Russa opened his Thursday media session with a strong rebuttal of those who have called him rude or disrespectful to White Sox fans after he made a comment some interpreted as criticism on Monday.

La Russa was asked about fans being vocal about wanting the organization to go out and add a right fielder -- and whether he viewed such a move as necessary.

“Those are probably the fans who are not White Sox fans,” La Russa said. “White Sox fans know there are guys in this camp who can handle it.”

Fans did not exactly respond favorably to that answer, especially via social media. But La Russa stressed Thursday that those comments were an absolute show of support for the players he has in camp.

“What I said was we are going to win with what we’ve got here. And if somebody is saying we need help, they are not White Sox fans, because they don’t know it,” La Russa said. “They are out there trying to make us spend money. We should make it just with what we’ve got here.

“My question to you from Day 1 to now, have I ever been disrespectful to White Sox fans? Haven’t I bragged about who they are, the support we get? I’ve never [said anything disparaging]. So for somebody to take what I said to mean like I’m demeaning White Sox fans, that’s got to be corrected. They have to know the opposite is true.”

In La Russa’s opinion, fans criticizing Chicago's moves are from other fan bases or outside observers that don’t fully grasp the large level of talent the 2022 squad already possesses. Right field, second base and starting pitching appeared to be needs going into the season for a team with designs on a World Series title, and while the White Sox added veteran second baseman Josh Harrison and right-handers Vince Velasquez, Joe Kelly and Kendall Graveman, fans wanted something splashier as a "completion" to the roster adjustments.

"In uniform, the only time you are really upset is when you think somebody is putting pressure on you to win and you don’t have a chance. That’s when it’s unfair.

“You should play as good as X club, and we have a .500 club. That’s what’s upsetting. But when they work this hard to give us a chance and you've got a real shot … In my whole career, we never had pressure from the front office to do something stupid that mortgages the future. They have a responsibility. We have ours.”

• TLR 1

What does that last part even mean?

Just shut the fuck up old man. Go scream at the clouds or tell kids to get off your lawn. You have no fucking clue about modern baseball and have zero tact. 

It's bad enough you are fucking up what little money we have to spend on your unhealthy obsession with relievers. Can u at least not be a walking PR nightmare?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Hawk 1