Twins Acquire O's Jorge Lopez

ChiSox59

For Cade Povich (A+), Yennier Cano (MLB), Juan Nunez (RK) and Juan Rojas (RK), all pitching prospects.

I know Lopez was not good as recently as last season, but feels pretty light for a (currently elite) reliever with 2.33 seasons of control. 

Only Povich was in Twins top 30.  Cano has pitched some in the majors this year, but has gotten lit up.  Other two are young pitching prospects in complex league.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

For Cade Povich, Yennier Cano, Juan Nunez and Juan Rojas, all pitching prospects.

I know Lopez was not good as recently as last season, but feels pretty light for a (currently elite) reliever with 2.33 seasons of control. 

Only Povich was in Twins top 30.  Cano has pitched some in the majors this year, but has gotten lit up. 

Looks like they didn't give up a whole lot. The 2 low level pitching prospects could be anything. Povich is a 3rd rounder from last year that's treading water in A+ ball. The Yankees actually gave up a top 10 prospect for Effross and the Twins got a seemingly better reliever for less. 

Jorge Lopez was absolute garbage until this season

Either the light switched on at 29 years old and hes an elite closer or hes just having a fluky season and will revert back to the 6.00 ERA gas can he has always been.

I would bet the latter

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Jorge Lopez was absolute garbage until this season

Either the light switched on at 29 years old and hes an elite closer or hes just having a fluky season and will revert back to the 6.00 ERA gas can he has always been.

I would bet the latter

Lopez was a starter until late last season. He had a 2.16 ERA as a reliever last year. His stuff ticked up when he moved into the bullpen. Instead of throwing mid 90s he started throwing around 99 and his stuff just plays better. 

Just now, chw42 said:

Lopez was a starter until late last season. He had a 2.16 ERA as a reliever last year. His stuff ticked up when he moved into the bullpen. Instead of throwing mid 90s he started throwing around 99 and his stuff just plays better. 

Sure, the outcome that it all comes together and hes an elite reliever is there. I just don't think that's what is he now moving forward. I think hes having a great year, but I don't think this is what he is in the future.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

It is a bit puzzling.  I get why the O's would sell high on Lopez, I just find this return to be very middling. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm looking for a quality bomb shelter in case Minnesota drops a neutron bomb this afternoon by acquiring Carlos Rodon.

I would love to see the Twins dump a couple of their best prospects for 8 Rodon starts.  

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm looking for a quality bomb shelter in case Minnesota drops a neutron bomb this afternoon by acquiring Carlos Rodon.

If we don't address our offense and Minnesota goes out and gets another arm like Rodon, the division is as good as wrapped up. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If we don't address our offense and Minnesota goes out and gets another arm like Rodon, the division is as good as wrapped up. 

If everyone on the Sox starts playing like they should be playing, I still think were better.

Unfortunately, that's a tall ask.

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I.......am not sure I agree. On paper and assuming Sox are what they are and won't figure anything out, sure.  But the Twins still are not very good and are not playing good baseball and haven't for awhile. Not sure 8 Rodon starts really changes that.  Now of course a Sox standing pat team won't be the ones winning the division unless they somehow decide to change their offensive approach 101 games into the season.  

Edited by ChiSox59