AJ Preller/Padres' moves (will keep comments sequestered here)

caulfield12

On 8/20/2022 at 12:33 PM, fathom said:

Have watched a few Padres games this week.  Man, that team has zero chemistry.  Josh Bell has forgot how to hit.  Hader has been awful as well.  Have to wonder if the Tatis stuff is distracting them.

Younare right.  Rogers lost confidence of the team as well.

The key difference is not on the hook for $15-17 million arb salary next year.  Stearns one of the best GM’s as per usual.

Like White Sox, an immense collection of talent on both sides but missing something again.

Too many players from other organizations thrown all together.

Plus, Soto’s back is starting to bother him enough to miss starts.

Wil Myers and Grisham have been disappointing, but Trent has pop, can defend and is LH at least.

Bullpen has struggled for majority of the year like Sox, and they really miss Drew Pomeranz imo.  

Just not sure they can “outbad” the Brewers if Burnes starts to regress…they have their own set of bullpen and offensive issues, too.  Keston Hiura looking like rookie year threat again helps greatly.

Finally, Profar Kim Cronenworth still much better, albeit utility guys than Leury and Harrison, fwiw.

Edited by caulfield12

“I honestly didn’t think too much of it until apparently I was walking off the mound and then it mattered to me." #Padres notes: #Guardians' Cal Quantrill shuts out team that traded him away

Kevin Acee SD Union Trib

As Jorge Alfaro swung over an 0-2 curveball in the dirt, leaving the bases loaded in the seventh inning Wednesday, Cal Quantrill hopped off Petco Park’s mound.

He screamed. He flexed. He screamed some more as he stalked off the field with seven shutout innings against the team that discarded him for a more experienced pitcher for the 2020 playoff push.

“I honestly didn’t think too much of it until apparently I was walking off the mound,” Quantrill said with a laugh, “and then it mattered to me. I don’t have any real anger toward them. It was awesome. I loved it here. Had a great time. Got drafted by them, they believed in me, they called me up. It’s just, whatever. It’s a business. Got traded.

“I love it in Cleveland now.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2022-08-24/padres-notes-cal-quantrill-jose-castillo

Edited by caulfield12

• 3 weeks later...

Discovered something interesting thinking about the Guardians.

Out of the Top 90 sprint speed guys in the majors, 12 are/were connected to the Padres.

In theory, every team "on average" would have just 3 players (3 X 30).

1. Trea Turner  LAD/FA

2. Ruben Mateo  Balt

3. Esteury Ruiz  MIL

4. Oscar Azocar SD

5. Jankowski NYM/PHA

6. Abrams WASH

7. Owen Miller CLE

8. Edward Olivares KC

9. Trent Grisham SD

10. Jack Suwinski PITT

11. Tuppy Marcano WASH

12. Jorge Alfaro (C) SD

Of course, Tatis Jr. would also be a part of this list as well, so 13 out of 90 or almost 15%.

• 3 weeks later...