Maggs

greg775

If the Sox trade Magglio Ordonez, the Sox should pack up and

move the team.

That move would signal everything that is wrong with baseball.

The guy is a mother-fricking god.

He is one of the best players in the game.

He has been with the Sox from the start like Frank.

I know all about the money, please don't tell me about how

the money we give him would go to others, etc.

I realize that.

But if the Sox want to play in Chicago, Maggs should be

part of the team.

If the Sox are talking about trading Maggs, I'm sure the

Yankees will rob us for him.

Torre has wanted him a long time. Maggs is one of the

five best players in the game.

I don't want to trade him either, the guy's a stud, but we just can't afford to pay one of our players 1/4 of da payroll. Only teams like da Dodgers, Yankees etc. can afford that. I'd rather trade Koch to the Mets and ship Konerko off sumwhere for anythin 1st, and then see what happens. It's a pity he can't rework his deal like u can in the NFL, cos I'm sure Maggs would do that. I think he really wants to win a championship badly.

Hold on there, pardner...

Maggs can certainly rework his deal...

They have been speaking with him about a future deal and his future here probably hinges on whether he understands he is overpaid [in today's marketplace] at $14 mill and is willing to be flixible on rolling his 2004 option year into a more palatable long-term contract.

Again...Life isn't what you want, it's what it is. Same with baseball. Just because you want a player, unless you are the owner, you have to live with what you get.

Forkit!

DBAHO eloquently said: we just can't afford to pay one

of our players 1/4 of da payroll."

I agree sort of but we have to pay him whatever he needs.

Otherwise why have a baseball team???

Maggs is a star; if we can't keep a lifelong Sox who has developed into

a star, then why even have a team??

Let it move.

trading Magglio would hurt the team enormously. Forget the on-the-field returns Magglio brings. But Magglio, is a class guy, a huge fan favorite, and brings so much to the team. If they trade Magglio, i dont care who we get, if they arent ALREADY an all-star then most fans will look at it and get disgusted. If Magglio is traded, our already fragile fan base will become even more so. I'm almost certain the attendance would take a significant dip as well as merchandise sales. If they trade Magglio, the Sox will be hurting in more ways than one. We can not trade this guy, we must find a way to keep him.

Folks, baseball is a game of economics, plain and simple. Profits and losses, attendance numbers and concession sales. I'm sorry that some people on here think that Maggs is the Almighty himself, cause he is not. There are guys out there putting up the numbers that he is putting up making ALOT less than the $14 mill he is scheduled to make. When such moves are to be made, economics are the #1 deciding factor, I'm sorry to tell you that. I'm all for trading Maggs if he doesn't want to rework his contract for this year, reward him with an extension on top of it. But if he doesn't, and the right offer comes along, I say Thanks for what you did for the franchise Maggs, but we are forced to make a move that fits our current financial situation.

Now, for some posters that say, "Anyone that wants to trade Maggs is a retard" or something along those lines: listen, I would be probably low on my estimates that at least 90% of Sox fans don't want Maggs going anywhere. Fact of the matter is, if we can make a move that will benefit the WHOLE club, and clear some payroll room, we must do so. $14 mill for 1 player on a $60 mill, 25 player roster is unacceptable, plain and simple.

If we traded Magglio and got a ton back, you guys would be estatic. I am all for trading Magglio.

We don't have to worry about that with KW GM'ing the team.

I'm hearing alot of talk from Sox fans advocating a Maggs for Soriano trade straight up. Anyone advocating that trade is out of their goddamn mind. It's one thing to trade to free up some salary. It's another thing to outright allow yourself to get ripped off to free up some salary.

Maggs for Soriano=RIP OFF!

I'm hearing alot of talk from Sox fans advocating a Maggs for Soriano trade straight up. Anyone advocating that trade is out of their goddamn mind. It's one thing to trade to free up some salary. It's another thing to outright allow yourself to get ripped off to free up some salary.

I never said anything about Magglio for Soriano.

I also do not think it would be such a rip off. I would do that trade, but it does come down to money. I would want some younger guys aswell.

Magglio Ordonez $14

Paul Konerko $8

Carlos Lee $7.25*

Billy Koch $6.37

Frank Thomas $6

Esteban Loaiza $4

Mark Buehrle $3.5*

Total $49.12

*projected salary through

arbitration

thats from the tribune...we know that no one wants Thomas so we have to keep him, no one wants Konerko, Lee could be traded, koch could be traded, loaiza stays obviously, and buehrle stays.

if we subtract the 2 guys that can be traded, which are Koch (hopefully) $6.37 million and Lee $7.25 million then our payroll would be $35.5 million for 5 players...that is about 60% of the payroll if its a $60 million for just 5 players or %20 of the team.

In other words the sox have 2 starting pitchers....no relievers....and 3 hitters.

I think at best the sox can move 2 of 3 players we dont need...when i made the post about trading maggs to LA, i was hoping we would re-sign Colon, and my point to this post is imagine if Colon would have signed that deal for $12 Million!

As of right now i feel the sox have no way of becoming a legidimate compeditor with these salaries (almost no matter who they get rid of)...but hopefully KW can figure something out cuz otherwise we are screwed...My biggest fear is that we try too hard and sign bad old players for relatively cheap and then they suck and we are stuck with them...the last thing we need is to turn into the Mets or the Orioles.

To conclude what i want...i hope we get rid of those players i think we can and start rebuilding with the Maggs,beuhrle,loaiza, and Marte. :usa (and i know i will get grief for saying all that above but as of right now i dont think we have a chance). GOOD LUCK KW!!!!!!

Make your argument Killa.... Why is that trade a rip off?

...long post...

Did you think that through? Why trade Lee but not Magglio? If you are going to be rebuilding, why have a $14 million 30 year old. Why not have a cheaper, younger, more productive player (ie CLee).

You don't want to sign older, bad players you say. I say sign one, maybe two with expierence to help lead and direct this team.

I don't see us getting rid of Koch. I say keep him as our closer. I can easily see him returning to 2002 form. I am not worried about him, yet.

Who is producing better numbers (fielding and hitting) that earns less than Magglio Ordonez. MERCY!

He brought up rebuilding. CLee put up better OFFENSIVE NUMBERS (never did I mention defensive and we could put better defensivly RF's if we traded Magglio). If you were rebuilding, would you choose the younger cheaper guy, or the heavily overpaid, older guy (star or not)?

Mercy!

Mercy!

Mercy bro!

Soriano:...$800,000

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

2003 156 682 114 198 36 5 38 91 38 130 35 8 .290 .338 .525 .863

Ordonez:....$14,000,000

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

2003 160 606 95 192 46 3 29 99 57 73 9 5 .317 .380 .546 .926

the numbers don't lie...and nirther do the salaries (short and sweet)

I'd do the trade in a second...put Soriano at shortstop, robbie at second and reed in right field....top of batting order...1. Reed, 2. Robbie, 3. Soriano (he shouldnt lead off anyway). :usa

I'd do the trade in a second...put Soriano at shortstop, robbie at second and reed in right field....top of batting order...1. Reed, 2. Robbie, 3. Soriano (he shouldnt lead off anyway). :usa

Reed in RF? Why not CF, and resign Carl or sign another FA to play RF? No Soriano at SS, and I wouldn't want Soriano batting third instead of CLee either.

The only reason i said keep maggs on a rebuilding team is because if we did rebuild and trade maggs in the same year a hell of a lot of fans would leave...i love lee and think we should keep him....but i also think we should rebuild and realize a lot of people would be pissed off if we traded maggs and decided to rebuild in the same year. :usa sorry if i seem to contradict myself, its late and i cant type explanations as good as i can say them

Who is producing better numbers (fielding and hitting) that earns less than Magglio Ordonez. MERCY!

Ever heard of Albert Pujols, Edgar Renteria, Preston Wilson or Vernon Wells? All put up numbers that were at worst equal to Ordonez and all make less money than Magglio. Magglio is a great player but I'm not sure he is worth $14 mil when you are only going to have a $50-60 mil budget.

The only reason i said keep maggs on a rebuilding team is because if we did rebuild and trade maggs in the same year a hell of a lot of fans would leave...i love lee and think we should keep him....but i also think we should rebuild and realize a lot of people would be pissed off if we traded maggs and decided to rebuild in the same year. :usa    sorry if i seem to contradict myself, its late and i cant type explanations as good as i can say them

Contradict, a lil; repeat, yes. It's fine don't worry about it. People aren't looking at both sides. It is business and fandom. I would love to see Magglio stay, but $14 million is too much for me.

Ever heard of Albert Pujols, Edgar Renteria, Preston Wilson or Vernon Wells?  All put up numbers that were at worst equal to Ordonez and all make less money than Magglio.  Magglio is a great player but I'm not sure he is worth $14 mil when you are only going to have a $50-60 mil budget.

Does it look like were getting any of those guys? No.

And besides, I would never do that deal for Soriano. This whole talk of it is garbage. There is NO way in f***ING hell KW does this.

KW will try to move

A.) Koch

B.) Konerko

BEFORE he even THINKS about TRADING Magglio f***ING Ordonez