White Sox 2023 Playoff Thread

South Side Hit Men

On 10/11/2023 at 11:56 PM, kitekrazy said:

Basic cable is actually my highest utility.  People confuse cutting cable but if one were to do that it means your cable company is no longer your ISP.  I don't get ESPN or the news networks and it's $150 a month.  My light bill doesn't even go that high running the air everyday in the desert. 

I remember subscribing once to watch the NHL online and 90% of the games were blackouts.  Talk about a needed class action lawsuit.

Having a decent cable package with Internet makes life simple. 

We have a new League Championship Series leaderboard through Thursday. Congratulations to Jose Abreu and the Houston Astros for bringing in great players with the desire to win and play their best.

Meanwhile two White Sox short timers picked up both losses, Dane during his first LCS appearance.

White Sox Alumni League Championship Series Statistics through Thursday:

1. Jose Abreu Houston 3-15, 1 HR, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 3 R, 3 BB, 1 SB, 5 K
  2. Marcus Semein Texas 3-16, 2R, 1 BB, 2 K
  3. Craig Kimbrel Philadelphia 1 1/3 IP, 2 H, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 ER, 1 Save, Loss
  4. Dane Dunning Texas 2 2/3 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 3 ER, 4 K, Loss
Edited by South Side Hit Men

Well, what an excellent day for one former White Sox as Jose Abreu and the Houston Astros are now five wins away from a World Series championship.

Former White Sox Craig Kimbrel and Dane Dunning have three of the possible five losses heading into the weekend.

That said, plopping Marcus down to third after his abysmal performance this series. Tim’s 2023 .582 OPS batting lead off is .164 higher than Semein’s .418 Postseason OPS heading into Sunday.

White Sox Alumni League Championship Series Statistics through Friday:

1. Jose Abreu Houston 4-19, 1 HR, 1 2B, 4 RBI, 3 R, 3 BB, 1 SB, 6 K
  2. Dane Dunning Texas 2 2/3 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 3 ER, 4 K, Loss
  3. Marcus Semein Texas 3-21, 2 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 Error
  4. Craig Kimbrel Philadelphia 2 IP, 5 H, 3 BB, 1 HR, 2 K, 4 ER, 1 Save2 Losses

No White Sox Alumni played Saturday. Houston can return to the World Series with a win tonight.

Good piece in MLB trade rumors in terms of Jose Abreu’s bad back and post recovery turn around to end the season and star in the playoffs.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/al-notes-abreu-dipuglia-mckinstry.html

A bad back might’ve saved Jose Abreu‘s season, as the first baseman’s debut season in Houston didn’t start to turn around until a two-week stint on the injured list in August.  Abreu was batting only .234/.291/.343 in 464 plate appearances prior to the IL trip, yet as Astros hitting coach Alex Cinton told ESPN’s Buster Olney, Abreu “was a different guy” after returning to action.  Abreu improved to .248/.315/.530 with eight home runs over 130 PA in the rest of the regular season, and he has a .962 OPS and four homers over 39 PA during Houston’s postseason run.

Beyond just letting his back heal, the IL trip also seemed to serve as a mental reset for Abreu after the grind of his first four-plus months.  After signing a three-year, $58.5MM contract with Houston last winter, Abreu was perhaps too eager to contribute to his new team.  Olney writes that “Cintron began to view Abreu’s relentless diligence as a problem.  As Abreu relentlessly took batting practice, his coaches believed, he was sapping his energy day after day — and likely prolonging his slump.”  Fortunately for all parties, Abreu has found his form at the ideal time for an Astros team that is one victory away from a return trip the World Series.

A lot of sad lazy hot takes bashing Jose Abreu all year on Soxtalk. Media people and the Usual Suspects here clamoring for horseshit like Justin Turner.

Jose Abreu is the best White Sox position player in the 21st Century. May finish the century as the best White Sox if Jerry lives into his 110s and beyond and his family keeps the team.

Not surprising Cheap and Stupid TM Jerry dumped both leaders below, and that both had solid contributions after leaving here. That goes for Frank Thomas as well, the greatest White Sox of all time.

White Sox with 15.0 + fWAR ranked below.

21st Century White Sox Position Player fWAR Leaders:

1. 27.4 Jose Abreu
  2. 22.7 Paul Konerko
  3. 19.6 Alexei Ramirez
  4. 18.7 Tim Anderson
  5. 17.3 Jose Valentin
  6. 15.5 Magglio Ordonez
  7. 15.1 Carlos Lee
  8. 15.0 Yoan Moncada

21st Century White Sox Pitcher fWAR Leaders:

1. 42.8 Mark Buehrle 
  2. 27.1 Chris Sale
  3. 21.1 Jose Quintana
  4. 17.5 John Danks
  5. 17.1 Jon Garland
  6. 15.3 Gavin Floyd
  7. 15.1 Lucas Giolito

One Game Seven for certain, a second if Arizona wins tomorrow.

White Sox Alumni League Championship Series Statistics through Sunday:

1. Jose Abreu Houston 6-23, 1 HR, 1 2B, 4 RBI, 3 R, 3 BB, 1 SB, 6 K
  2. Marcus Semein Texas 5-24, 3 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 Error
  3. Dane Dunning Texas 2 2/3 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 3 ER, 4 K, Loss
  4. Craig Kimbrel Philadelphia 2 IP, 5 H, 3 BB, 1 HR, 2 K, 4 ER, 1 Save2 Losses

Last update for me this postseason. Will return to SoxTalk after Kim Ng is hired and or the Sox do something of importance.

White Sox Alumni League Championship Series Statistics through Monday:

1. Jose Abreu Houston 8-28, 1 HR, 1 2B, 5 RBI, 3 R, 3 BB, 1 SB, 6 K
  2. Marcus Semein Texas 6-29, 4 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 1 Error
  4. Craig Kimbrel Philadelphia 3 IP, 5 H, 4 BB, 1 HR, 4 K, 4 ER, 1 Save2 Losses

On 10/23/2023 at 10:33 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Last update for me this postseason. Will return to SoxTalk after Kim Ng is hired and or the Sox do something of importance.

White Sox Alumni League Championship Series Statistics through Monday:

1. Jose Abreu Houston 8-28, 1 HR, 1 2B, 5 RBI, 3 R, 3 BB, 1 SB, 6 K
  2. Marcus Semein Texas 6-29, 4 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 1 Error
  4. Craig Kimbrel Philadelphia 3 IP, 5 H, 4 BB, 1 HR, 4 K, 4 ER, 1 Save2 Losses

You love it here too much to go away. 

Kimbrel was runner up as Arizona MVP

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

You love it here too much to go away. 

Kimbrel was runner up as Arizona MVP

I went away February 2023 until returning in late April (non ban 😄). Only returned to watch the massive accident at the side of the road (record losing streak / winless series streak and 100 loss season). Hoped it meant a roadmap to real change, which surprisingly happened, and I was happy for 14 or so hours until Nightingale tweeted Getz was likely the next GM.

I’m waiting for Getz’ first offseason snd first press conference with his ST and LT vision. I’m not going off rumors reported by Levine and Garfein. Getz deserves a shot to explain his vision, and then we must see if it is good (revamp org, emphasize player acquisition and development, hire real qualified people for both areas), and whether Jerry will allow it.

If no long term hope is confirmed, then you’ll see me next after Jerry is no longer Chairman, and beyond assuming a non Reinsdorf takes charge. I’m not staying for Chairman Michael, who would most likely resemble kids solely interest in milking cows (Steinbrenner, Illitch, Angelos, Pohlad, etc.). MLB will join the other sports for me, dead, unless Montreal gets their deserved team.