Colson is just an alien

bmags

Kyler Murray is an interesting case. He got like 160 million guaranteed even tho he was pretty bad and then got hurt and probably won't get another contract. I guess if you're a QB the math changes a bit, but for most non QB guys I'd assume it's better to play baseball if you're a first rounder in both sports.

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Kyler Murray is an interesting case. He got like 160 million guaranteed even tho he was pretty bad and then got hurt and probably won't get another contract. I guess if you're a QB the math changes a bit, but for most non QB guys I'd assume it's better to play baseball if you're a first rounder in both sports.

Yep, all depends on the earning potential.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Probably QB is slam dunk go play football and then maybe edge rusher and WR. But for defensive players, lineman? Go play baseball.

Calvin Johnson is one of the biggest freaks of all time and he called it quits early.

The #2 WR in his class decided to pitch and earned $122M. Johnson earned $110M.

Samardzija earned more in salary than Megatron.

Yes, there's sponsorships. But those hits take a toll on your body and brain.

Kyler Murray is a lucky one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Quitting football after soph season is pretty early if you are really good.

At that point he probably knew he had a future in basketball or baseball.

An injury in football puts all three at risk.

And you start racking up brain injuries right away. My brother only played four years of HS ball and his brain is likely swiss cheese due to five concussions (that we know about).

If the other sports are there, secure the bag that keeps your body intact.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quin said:

At that point he probably knew he had a future in basketball or baseball.

An injury in football puts all three at risk.

And you start racking up brain injuries right away. My brother only played four years of HS ball and his brain is likely swiss cheese due to five concussions (that we know about).

If the other sports are there, secure the bag that keeps your body intact.

Sorry about your bro.  If given the chance, I will recommend to my great grandkids not to play football.

• 2 months later...

Nice puff piece on Colson, didn't know he was up to 17 on MLB Pipeline rankings. Just one data point, but that's a fun one to see.

The top-ranked player per MLB Pipeline (No. 17 overall) in attendance at the 2023 Arizona Fall League has repeatedly shown when he gets his bat through the zone – particularly to his pull side – he creates some serious thunder at just 21 years old. His third-inning triple stands as the third hardest-hit ball officially recorded this season in the Fall League.

Prior to his sacrifice fly in the sixth, which plated his fourth run of the contest, Montgomery hooked a hanging slider foul, coming off the bat at 110 mph. In his only prior outing at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick (the lone AFL park equipped with Statcast), he recorded two more hard-hit balls, including a 104.7 mph groundout.

While Montgomery eschews doggedly following his advanced metrics, citing a “go up and hit the ball hard” approach, he’s all ears when it comes to slight in-game tweaks or the chess match between batter and pitcher.

“You talk to these other dudes from other organizations, and I mean, a lot of the stuff we talk about is approach and strike-zone discipline,” said Montgomery, “and sometimes [pitchers] give it to you, you know what I mean? And they're human too. It's not like they're gonna throw strikes every single time. So there's times where I get in the habit of being on swing mode all the time.”

An oblique injury that morphed into a mid-back strain robbed Montgomery of half a season of vital development in 2023. But since returning, he’s hit at every stop, culminating in a stint in the Fall League that is at an impressive midpoint. Through 11 games, the Glendale shortstop has an .833 OPS with six extra-base hits in his past five outings.