BA names Terrell Tatum as 2023 White Sox Minors Player of the Year

Sleepy Harold

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would have gone with Elko 

yeah, especially with the impact getting proper 1b defense seemed to have on birmingham. Adding a real catcher in Quero and then 1B made that team a ton more competitive even with that pitching staff.

BUT - I like BA's lists. Definitely comes from a love of watching the minor leagues rather than identifying hot prospects and I like that perspective too.

30 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would have gone with Elko 

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

yeah, especially with the impact getting proper 1b defense seemed to have on birmingham. Adding a real catcher in Quero and then 1B made that team a ton more competitive even with that pitching staff.

BUT - I like BA's lists. Definitely comes from a love of watching the minor leagues rather than identifying hot prospects and I like that perspective too.

I noticed that Elko was draft at 23 years old. Anyone know why he was drafted on the older side? Not that it should be held against him if he continues hitting and improves his K rate next year. Is it because he was in college an extra year? I wonder why he was there a 5th year (and I didn't even think you were eligible to pay if you were there beyond a certain amount of years (4)).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I noticed that Elko was draft at 23 years old. Anyone know why he was drafted on the older side? Not that it should be held against him if he continues hitting and improves his K rate next year. Is it because he was in college an extra year? I wonder why he was there a 5th year (and I didn't even think you were eligible to pay if you were there beyond a certain amount of years (4)).

A lot of stuff. 

1st - COVID. Gave everyone an extra year of availability. It also led to only a 5 round draft in 2020 that pushed a lot of "draft eligible" players that may have entered MLB to go back an extra year, leading to a cascade effect of a lot of older prospects entering the system each year as the next borderline guy gets crowded out.

2nd - He tore his ACL in 2021, despite that, he didn't elect for surgery, going thru rehab and then coming back a month later. 

But that relegated him to first. He elected to come back another year, where they won the CWS.

He always K'd a lot, had big power, was a corner infielder. But he's awesome. He may not be an awesome major leaguer, very likely not, but obviously put his name on the game of baseball as a whole more than most ball players ever will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

A lot of stuff. 

1st - COVID. Gave everyone an extra year of availability. It also led to only a 5 round draft in 2020 that pushed a lot of "draft eligible" players that may have entered MLB to go back an extra year, leading to a cascade effect of a lot of older prospects entering the system each year as the next borderline guy gets crowded out.

2nd - He tore his ACL in 2021, despite that, he didn't elect for surgery, going thru rehab and then coming back a month later. 

But that relegated him to first. He elected to come back another year, where they won the CWS.

He always K'd a lot, had big power, was a corner infielder. But he's awesome. He may not be an awesome major leaguer, very likely not, but obviously put his name on the game of baseball as a whole more than most ball players ever will.

Thanks! I hadn't realized that first point. I hope he cuts down on the K's and becomes a legit option, despite being 25 next year.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zisk said:

TT will take a walk. He'll steal some bases. He'll play a solid CF. He's almost 25. Sounds like a 5th outfielder to me.

Our cupboard is so bare, he ACTUALLY  DESERVES THIS AWARD.

That will be some unrealistic view of him replacing Robert and getting that mythical haul.