The Comiskey Effect...

Lip Man 1

Just came here to post this. Lots of reference to Last Comiskey, including imbedded video. 

The Score is a great resource for sports. It’s Canadian, so it’s going to lean towards Canadian sports, but the quality of coverage hasn’t dipped as much as some other outlets imo. 

1) The lower level at the new White Sox stadium is great. The upper deck is horrible. Its 2 different ballparks. JR ruined the stadium because he wanted the 2nd level of suites. The original design didn't have the 2nd level of suites. 2) Lipman, you're a broadcaster. I'm not familar with your work but the team needs a new TV announcer. Have you considered applying for the job? What do you have to lose by applying for the job? Who knows, you might luck out and get the job. I thought Hahn was going to get fired a few years ago and I wrote JR a letter requesting to be interviewed for GM job. JR never responded to me. Matter of fact he has never responded to any of my letters after that. He always responded to me in the past but not anymore.

31 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

1) The lower level at the new White Sox stadium is great. The upper deck is horrible. Its 2 different ballparks. JR ruined the stadium because he wanted the 2nd level of suites. The original design didn't have the 2nd level of suites. 2) Lipman, you're a broadcaster. I'm not familar with your work but the team needs a new TV announcer. Have you considered applying for the job? What do you have to lose by applying for the job? Who knows, you might luck out and get the job. I thought Hahn was going to get fired a few years ago and I wrote JR a letter requesting to be interviewed for GM job. JR never responded to me. Matter of fact he has never responded to any of my letters after that. He always responded to me in the past but not anymore.

I appreciate the thought and frankly I could do the job. But I'm 68 and my wife and I just paid off our house. I'm actually going to be inducted into the Idaho State Sports Hall of Fame this February. I have established roots here in Southeast Idaho but it simply is a non-starter right now. Maybe 20 years ago I'd certainly think about applying but not now.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I appreciate the thought and frankly I could do the job. But I'm 68 and my wife and I just paid off our house. I'm actually going to be inducted into the Idaho State Sports Hall of Fame this February. I have established roots here in Southeast Idaho but it simply is a non-starter right now. Maybe 20 years ago I'd certainly think about applying but not now.   

Wait a minute....are you Lori Elizabeth Lee?!?!

57 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Second level of suites plus the Club level seats is why the upper deck is so high and steep and so far from the playing field, that’s what we got from JRs greed. I’ll never forget attending a game in late 1989 at old Comiskey and while waiting for the gates to open, I got my first view of the new park under construction and couldn’t believe how high the upper deck was.

I don’t wish death on anyone except evil people like Hitler and Stalin but I’m hoping JR would sell as that would be one of the happiest days of my life, I detest the man.

PS: I know he won’t sell because of inheritance taxes or whatever but I can always hope.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Fire 1

47 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Congrats...on all of it!

• Like 1

I think part of the issue with ballpark construction is that only one firm builds all of them, HOK/Populous. Teams do not want to depart from a strategy that is making them plenty of money and HOK makes the cookie cutter model a little more efficient each time...removing amenities that aren't turning a large profit and replacing them with more nostalgia-based restaurants and bars. I actually disagree with the author of this article because he talks about "looking to the past" which I'm really not a great fan of nostalgia-themed architecture. I'm not an architect or engineer, but there are probably some cutting edge ideas they could have to create truly unique ballparks rather than being derivative...Fenway and Wrigley look the way they do for practical reasons due to constraints that don't really exist anymore. A new Comiskey wouldn't be limited by needing to be nestled into the grid, their present site is gigantic and they will definitely replace the parking lots with "amenities" if they choose to build the new park there. There are a few other sites too, I still like the idea of Soldier Field being converted into a ballpark if the Bears leave. You can have your nostalgia factor and have it actually make sense rather than constructing something brand new in 2030 to look like it's from 1914. 

That being said, there is a "new era" of ballpark construction as seen by Truist and Globe Life, the KC Royals and Mets proposals and to a lesser extent Busch, Target, Nats and PetCo. Which is that the ballpark is no longer the only thing, but rather the focal point of a large and comprehensive development/redevelopment. I have mixed feelings on this idea because I think I'd personally rather just have a ballpark and not an entire consumption/theme park district, yet this ballpark-led development seems to actually be beneficial to cities' coffers and could justify public investment. I've written about this on this forum before, but the area around GRF is basically a blank slate for this kind of development and I'd like for there to be some amount of public investment/democratic input on how that development proceeds; that there might be some public amenities that aren't there to help Reinsdorf (or whoever the owner will be) turn a profit but might actually be beneficial to Chicagoans, especially to kids.

I think it could be a good idea to let the team do whatever it wants on all the parking lots, but also build something like a non-profit youth sports complex on the other side of I-90 on the Stateway Gardens site. I think it could be something very positive for the kids in Chicago and also re-ingratiate the team to the South Side because it feels like the Cubs do more community outreach than the Sox do down here. This could be a win-win-win for the team and the city government and our residents, and expand on this idea of "comprehensive ballpark district development" to be more than a yuppie theme park, but express the idea that a baseball team has a social role in the community beyond turning a profit. Hell, chances are that these 'free', public amenities have the affect of raising adjacent land values and helping the Sox profit and city derive tax revenue even more. I think this is something the city and team could both get on board with and it isn't just a pipedream. 

Long forgotten by some, a young twenty-something Terry Savarise was tasked by Reinsdorf and Einhorn to travel to every major league stadium to glean ideas for the new park. He came back impressed by Dodgers Stadium's open outfield design and color scheme - powder blue and white with an open bowl design. He knew nothing about architecture or sport stadium architecture,  Chicago architecture or the history of the architecture of Comiskey and Wrigley. His monumental mistakes cost the franchise hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years  to remedy.

Next time a major renovation or new park is considered, Sox ownership should seek advice from Chicago architects and Sox fans in addition to the arch. group that  designs sports stadiums. They also should look into acquiring land near  the lakefront  or even Soldier Field if the Bears move.

6 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Second level of suites plus the Club level seats is why the upper deck is so high and steep and so far from the playing field, that’s what we got from JRs greed. I’ll never forget attending a game in late 1989 at old Comiskey and while waiting for the gates to open, I got my first view of the new park under construction and couldn’t believe how high the upper deck was.

I don’t wish death on anyone except evil people like Hitler and Stalin but I’m hoping JR would sell as that would be one of the happiest days of my life, I detest the man.

PS: I know he won’t sell because of inheritance taxes or whatever but I can always hope.

1) I was with a group of fans at the last home game in 1990. Everybody looked at the new stadium across the street and said , if that upper deck is as high as it looks who's going to want to sit up there? 2) I share your dislike of JR but one thing i have to say about him is he's very good at making money. I have no doubt that he has made more money owning the team than any of the other White Sox owners. 

3 hours ago, cuban_sammiches said:

One of your Idaho State co-nominees. Wake up son.

I know of a Lori Mendenhall but not Lori Lee...and I have not been told who the other inductees are.

Edited by Lip Man 1