An open letter to Sox Management

aboz56

(Disclaimer: While this will never be read by anyone affiliated with the Sox, I just had to vent after the events of the past few weeks. Don't mind me.)

Dear Management:

As a lifelong, 21 year old White Sox fan, I am very concerned over the direction this team is going, especially given some of the deals that have transpired over the past few days and some of the deals that have yet to and probably will not transpire. I find it somewhat sickening that you have chosen to spend part of our precious payroll next season paying Jose Valentin a salary of $5 million. Is this the same guy who hit under .250 last season? I guess that's worth a $5 million salary. Many Sox fans are also disappointed that you have chosen to sign Ozzie Guillen to a 3 year deal as manager, yet he has never proven anything as a manager. This is particularly aggrivating as my favorite player, Mark Buehrle, sits idly by being jerked around by your lowball offers and refusal to offer a deal worth signing. Apparently you are too haunted by your past mistakes like Jamie Navarro to realize when you have a good thing going right in front of your eyes. Yes, this is the same Buehrle who has been nothing short of outstanding his first three season with the Sox but does not have a long term deal in place yet. Perhaps you could get a damn clue and offer him a good deal, but maybe that's asking too much. Of course there's those who say he won't sign with the Sox, but if the money and years are right, he'll sign. Then there's Carlos Lee, another player who's done a lot for White Sox baseball, but like Buehrle will probably go to arbitration instead of signing a long-term deal. Perhaps it will take fewer and fewer White Sox fans showing up at U.S. Cellular Field in 2004 to make you realize that you're making all the wrong moves. It surely seems to me that's what's going to happen if your current decision making continues.

Sincerely,

An aggrivated Sox Fan

(Disclaimer: While this will never be read by anyone affiliated with the Sox, I just had to vent after the events of the past few weeks. Don't mind me.)

Dear Management:

As a lifelong, 21 year old White Sox fan, I am very concerned over the direction this team is going, especially given some of the deals that have transpired over the past few days and some of the deals that have yet to and probably will not transpire.  I find it somewhat sickening that you have chosen to spend part of our precious payroll next season paying Jose Valentin a salary of $5 million.  Is this the same guy who hit under .250 last season?  I guess that's worth a $5 million salary.  Many Sox fans are also disappointed that you have chosen to sign Ozzie Guillen to a 3 year deal as manager, yet he has never proven anything as a manager.  This is particularly aggrivating as my favorite player, Mark Buehrle, sits idly by being jerked around by your lowball offers and refusal to offer a deal worth signing.  Apparently you are too haunted by your past mistakes like Jamie Navarro to realize when you have a good thing going right in front of your eyes.  Yes, this is the same Buehrle who has been nothing short of outstanding his first three season with the Sox but does not have a long term deal in place yet.  Perhaps you could get a damn clue and offer him a good deal, but maybe that's asking too much.  Of course there's those who say he won't sign with the Sox, but if the money and years are right, he'll sign.  Then there's Carlos Lee, another player who's done a lot for White Sox baseball, but like Buehrle will probably go to arbitration instead of signing a long-term deal.  Perhaps it will take fewer and fewer White Sox fans showing up at U.S. Cellular Field in 2004 to make you realize that you're making all the wrong moves.  It surely seems to me that's what's going to happen if your current decision making continues.

Sincerely,

An aggrivated Sox Fan

Now I get it. You are only 21, which explains why you are so clueless when it comes to your blind love for Buerhle.

When he leaves for the Cards, will you be a Card fan then? :rolleyes:

Dear Management:

As a lifelong, 21 year old White Sox fan, I am very concerned over the direction this team is going, especially given some of the deals that have transpired over the past few days and some of the deals that have yet to and probably will not transpire.  I find it somewhat sickening that you have chosen to spend part of our precious payroll next season paying Jose Valentin a salary of $5 million.  Is this the same guy who hit under .250 last season?  I guess that's worth a $5 million salary.  Many Sox fans are also disappointed that you have chosen to sign Ozzie Guillen to a 3 year deal as manager, yet he has never proven anything as a manager.  This is particularly aggrivating as my favorite player, Mark Buehrle, sits idly by being jerked around by your lowball offers and refusal to offer a deal worth signing.  Apparently you are too haunted by your past mistakes like Jamie Navarro to realize when you have a good thing going right in front of your eyes.  Yes, this is the same Buehrle who has been nothing short of outstanding his first three season with the Sox but does not have a long term deal in place yet.  Perhaps you could get a damn clue and offer him a good deal, but maybe that's asking too much.  Of course there's those who say he won't sign with the Sox, but if the money and years are right, he'll sign.  Then there's Carlos Lee, another player who's done a lot for White Sox baseball, but like Buehrle will probably go to arbitration instead of signing a long-term deal.  Perhaps it will take fewer and fewer White Sox fans showing up at U.S. Cellular Field in 2004 to make you realize that you're making all the wrong moves.  It surely seems to me that's what's going to happen if your current decision making continues.

Sincerely,

An aggrivated Sox Fan

One more thing kid, Buerhle got a fair offer from Kenny (compared to Zito etc), and he declined.

Make sure you remove your lips from Buerhle's ass and your fingers out of his asshole before you reply.

Dear Management:

Sincerely,

An aggrivated Sox Fan

Now I get it. You are only 21, which explains why you are so clueless when it comes to your blind love for Buerhle.

When he leaves for the Cards, will you be a Card fan then? :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with being a big fan of a player. And you can still be a fan of that player when they leave the Sox.

Dear Management:

Sincerely,

An aggrivated Sox Fan

One more thing kid, Buerhle got a fair offer from Kenny (compared to Zito etc), and he declined.

Make sure you remove your lips from Buerhle's ass and your fingers out of his asshole before you reply.

That offer wasn't "fair" over half of it was not guarenteed, unlike Barry Zito who had all of his money guarenteed.

Dear Management:

Sincerely,

An aggrivated Sox Fan

That offer wasn't "fair" over half of it was not guarenteed, unlike Barry Zito who had all of his money guarenteed.

It was fair. Zito has won a Cy Young and taken his team to 3 consecutive playoffs. Buerhle has not.

Buerhle has to to prove he can perform consistently, especially after last year.

The same goes for you considering you obviously have your lips permanently attached to KW's right cheek and JR's left cheek.

Dear Management:

Sincerely,

An aggrivated Sox Fan

It was fair. Zito has won a Cy Young and taken his team to 3 consecutive playoffs. Buerhle has not.

Buerhle has to to prove he can perform consistently, especially after last year.

I would think some guys name Mulder and Hudson had a lot to do with making the playoffs as well... Zito vs Buehrle their numbers were pretty comparable before this year. (when that contract got offered) They definately weren't separated by about 50% which was the difference between the guarenteed money that MB was offered and that Zito got.

Dear Management:

Sincerely,

An aggrivated Sox Fan

OK, first.. don't be so sure this isn't seen by someone in Sox management.

Second.. you have no idea what is going on with Mark (if they are talking to him, have been, or have a deal set) so I think it's kinda rude of you to accuse them of "jerking him around". Maybe if you put "in the past" in there..

And third.. same as #2. You have no idea what's going on with Carlos.

How about waiting for the sky to fall before heading for the hills like it already has..? :huh:

They definately weren't separated by about 50% which was the difference between the guarenteed money that MB was offered and that Zito got.

Has anyone actually seen a copy of the offer that was made to Mark? I'd be curious to see it, since I missed it and am not EXACTLY sure what was offered and what was not.

They definately weren't separated by about 50% which was the difference between the guarenteed money that MB was offered and that Zito got.

Has anyone actually seen a copy of the offer that was made to Mark? I'd be curious to see it, since I missed it and am not EXACTLY sure what was offered and what was not.

I think the details are just from his dad talking about it. I can't imagine Mark would make copies and distribute it.

An actual copy, no. But it was widely reported that the deal was 3 years $11.5 mil guarenteed with upto 5 years $26 million possible if incentives and options were all met.

You know, it's too bad we didn't take that same tact with Paulie...

You perform, you get wonderful pay. You perform miserably, you aren't terrifically overpaid, especially after only one or two solid seasons in the Bigs.

I know, I'm about to be blindsided by the "The Sox are screwing Mark," "Sox Management is the cheapest and worst management ever," "I demand JR sell this team to someone with money that will buy a winner, no matter what it costs and I demand it now!" crowd...

But again...this is a business, folks. Players like Mark [and his father] are treating this as a business and the owners, who put ALL the money up front are damned sure treating it like a business. They [both sides] make the decisions they make for what they feel are rational reasons.

You don't have to like the Sox management's reasons. You're a fan. They own the team. They choose how to allocate their limited resources.

You don't have to like Mark [and his family's] decisions. You're a fan. You are not the player and it is not your career.

Take about four steps back and try to see through the eyes of each side.

Forkit!

When Buerhle's pitching for da Cardinals, and we resigned Valentin for another 5 mill to play SS for us, well KW will have truly lost it. The only reason I'm concerned they picked up Jose's option, is because they didn't want to pay the $500,000 buyout. I mean u can get a cheaper younger SS, e.g Guzman, Vasquez but obivously KW thought nope we ain't gonna get them. So let's pay an overrated so called emotional leader of the White Sox another $5 million next year, to come 2nd or 3rd in our division again. But hey if we come over .500 that's alrite isn't it? :lol:

I could be wrong but I don't think Guzman is a free agent, I think he's arbitration eligible but not eligible for FA (could be wrong though).

If he were a FA, with the lean availability of SS out there, I'd confidently say he'd get more than 5 million per year.

The Jose Valentin thing is nothing more than a stop gap move, for one year. I'm not a Valentin fan but I don't know what's out there that's better. Plus, Guillen will have a guy he can lean on, who's good in the clubhouse (yeah I know everyone is tired of hearing that), at a key position.

Plus, this team has bigger needs than SS for 2004:

#1 starter

Figure out who's the closer

Arrange the bullpen, acquire help if guys can't be re-signed

Get Graffanino signed

Decide on CF (they really need a LH bat out there, sorry, Rowand fans)

Get the Alomars signed if they want to go that way

Yes, he can be a Cards fan then. I always like Oakland, but when Foulke went to the A's, that put them over the top with me, and there now my seconed favorite team.

When I was first getting into baseball, I had a "second favorite" team. Now, I can't imagine rooting (caring, really) what any other team is doing. Other than the opponents of the other competitors in our pennant race, nobody else matters to me.

As much as I like Mark Buehrle, if the Sox paid him a long term gaurenteed contract, then he got injured or hit the skids like Konerko did, we'd all be b****ing and screaming for KW to trade him to the Cardinals for a bag of used balls. That's in addition to the fact that KW would be called a moron for signing him to a long term deal. When PK was signed, a vast majority of the Sox fans were very happy because Paulie had come off a very good year, was only 26 or 27, and expected to keep improving. Well, that's what the Sox thought too, I'm sure.

An actual copy, no. But it was widely reported that the deal was 3 years $11.5 mil guarenteed with upto 5 years $26 million possible if incentives and options were all met.

A 3 year 11.5 M deal is more then fair for Buehrle(Valentin's deal not considered). And if you actually check out Zito's stats versus Buehrle's you will see that there is a pretty drastic difference across the board(not including this year). Zito is clearly the better pitcher. You also have to be cautious about giving young players BIG contracts, because they are still unproven to some degree and it could turn out to blow up in your face. The fact that Buehrle's ERA has increased each of the last 2 years along with an increase of H/IP, BB/IP, and fewer SO/IP isn't a good trend, and I think it could be wise to wait and see what happens before getting stuck with a HUGE contract and a pitcher that is regressing each year. As someone pointed out you really have no idea what is going on behind the curtain, but if it is try that the Sox OFFICIAL offered Buehrle a 3/11.5 deal then it is HIS FAULT for not accepting a fair deal. I also hate the fact that he came out and said he wants to pitch for St. Loius, but you never mention that. That is disrespecting your current team, and I lost respect for Buehrle after that. I still think he is a good pitcher and would like to see him here long-term, but if he doesn't accept a fair deal thats HIS FAULT and not the managements. It is clear that your opinion on this matter is significantly influenced by your bias towards Buehrle. With that said, I have supported the management for years, but accepting Valentin's offer leaves me speachless. My only hope is that they bat him SOLELY lefthanded(in which he has an impressive .860+ OPS over the past 4 years) and that his solid defensive year is a sign of things to come.

I cannot understand why people are STILL upset with Mark over the Cardinals thing. He grew up a Cardinals fan and I'm sure that was a childhood dream of his. Hell, I can't blame him for wanting to, some day, pitch for the team he grew up rooting for.

I cannot understand why people are STILL upset with Mark over the Cardinals thing.  He grew up a Cardinals fan and I'm sure that was a childhood dream of his.  Hell, I can't blame him for wanting to, some day, pitch for the team he grew up rooting for.

Its not so much about him being a fan of the Cardinals as it is him PUBLICLY stating that he wanted to pitch for the Cardinals right in the middle of new contract talks. You can look at it with your rosy colored glasses on, but any way you slice it that is disrespectful toward the team your currently play for. As long as he is in a Sox uniform his loyality and commitment should be directed exclusively towards the Sox with no questions asked(that means at no point should he come out and say he would rather play for another team). Most players that make statements like Buehrle are severely fined or traded. IF you were ever a former athlete at a high level you would know that it is a no-no to say you want to play on another team while still on your current team.