Will we do anything worthwhile this offseason?

Soxguy

So far we have hired another person from the FL Marlins (didn't we learn with JM)?? We hired a guy who seemed to have disappeared from the face of the earth as a 3b coach. We spent a big chunk of our minimal payroll on a mediocre at best shortstop (great team leader, not so great player for 5M). Does anyone see us making any POSITIVE moves this offseason? I have my hopes that we will pick up one of the big names , im talking VLAD big or something like that (...I can dream can't I....What do u all think?

We will pick up an average pitcher, maybe make a few trades, try to shore up the bullpen. But, I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking. As long as we can get a solid starter and a few pen guys I think we should be ok. Then again, this is the Reinsdorf administration and I could be completely off base and they could just do some real s***ty moves like usual.

Welcome Aboard

I wouldn't do too much dreaming of Vlad...although your more then welcome to get your hopes up ;)

If I were you, expect Koch and Konerko to get dealt and the Sox to resign Sully, Gordon and add a vet reliever like Osuna. They will sign Ponson or another semi frontline pitcher and maybe bring Ventura back as a bench player and if they deal Konerko, find someone to play first base like Spiezo/Fullmer/Nick Johnson.

If they can't deal Paulie and Koch, look for Magglio to go. It won't happen for prospects cause that isn't Kenny's style. He wants this team to compete. He may not be given the purse strings, but trading Maggs for prospects wouldn't put this team in a position to win now, so it won't happen.

Welcome Aboard

I wouldn't do too much dreaming of Vlad...although your more then welcome to get your hopes up  ;)

If I were you, expect Koch and Konerko to get dealt and the Sox to resign Sully, Gordon and add a vet reliever like Osuna. They will sign Ponson or another semi frontline pitcher and maybe bring Ventura back as a bench player and if they deal Konerko, find someone to play first base like Spiezo/Fullmer/Nick Johnson.

If they can't deal Paulie and Koch, look for Magglio to go. It won't happen for prospects cause that isn't Kenny's style.  He wants this team to compete.  He may not be given the purse strings, but trading Maggs for prospects wouldn't put this team in a position to win now, so it won't happen.

I agree Jason, you put it a little more eloquently than I did. But, same basic thoughts. Also, welcome aboard soxguy :cheers

The trade rumors that really got me excited are the soriano and nick johnson trade rumors.  I would gladly part with maggs for these guys.  Don't get me wrong, i'm a huge maggs fan but I want what is best for the team

I'm a huge fan of that trade idea, been backing and suggesting it for a few weeks now. I should also say that if the Sox follow through with what I suggested will likely happen, then I think they would be in an excellent position to compete for the division and more.

The key is strong pitching..both starting and relief.

The only big signing I would expect is Ponson, the rest is just average Rios-Daubach type guys probably.

Just remember Elo, David Ortiz and Walker were those type of guys last year, so I don't have a problem with the Sox going after a few vets that have played valuable roles with other teams as starters and such, but just don't seem to have a market.

Just remember Elo, David Ortiz and Walker were those type of guys last year, so I don't have a problem with the Sox going after a few vets that have played valuable roles with other teams as starters and such, but just don't seem to have a market.

I agree totally, those kind of guys are the players that will get it done......just not Armando Rios, he's useless :lol:

The Best moves we will make is to sit back and watch LaTroy Hawkins and Shannon Stewart leave the Twinkies.

If we get really lucky, a few more of the Minnesota guys will flee, too.

Don't forget Everyday Eddie :D

But your right the Twins will get weaker. Still, they are the champs. I'm sick of the Sox thinking they are the favorites every year. As far as I'm concerned the Twins have showed, earned and proven that they are the Division Champs and the team to beat in the division and until someone dethrones them, they should be.

Everyone else should be working their way up to beat them.

I do have a lot of confidence for next season cause this team doesn't have many holes.

The Best moves we will make is to sit back and watch LaTroy Hawkins and Shannon Stewart leave the Twinkies.

But your right the Twins will get weaker. Still, they are the champs. I'm sick of the Sox thinking they are the favorites every year. As far as I'm concerned the Twins have showed, earned and proven that they are the Division Champs and the team to beat in the division and until someone dethrones them, they should be.

I do have a lot of confidence for next season cause this team doesn't have many holes.

hell, if we don't win it next year look for this team to be broken up, if they can't do anything with this talent, let's start all over.

hell, if we don't win it next year look for this team to be broken up, if they can't do anything with this talent, let's start all over.

Agreed. I can't stand this s*** much longer

Nope. It's a little slice of prime rib - just one paper-thin slice.

You want so much more because you've tasted the meat, the juice, the flavor - however, you can't afford the whole dinner price, so you walk away and are happy with the ham sandwich you can afford.

We shouldn't have to think this way, but we do, since the owner is a jackass.

He cries poor mouth for 20 years, but still doesn't sell the team. Hmmm. I would love for anyone qualified to look at his books. He would never allow that, because he would be exposed as the liar and fraud he is.

"I would easily trade the 6 Bulls Championships in for just one World Series Championship." - Jerry Reinsdips***, 2000

f***ing liar.

Pastime:

Do you own a business?

Why do so many people here think it's easy to be an owner that wins a championship?

So many people think the answer is just "sign every player I like and we'll win."

What about profits and losses? What about players with talent that play poorly?

You can call Sox owners all the names you want, but they own the franchise. It's easy to throw big ideas and insults around, but finding the money to own a franchise and then fronting the money to put a team on the field is not something 99.999999999999999999999 percent of the baseball fans could do.

Any owner's first priority is to his business. Period. That is how a good businessman operates or he soon loses the franchise.

All franchises are NOT created equal. As a businessman, you make the decisions you feel are best for your franchise and play the hand you are dealt. If you make the right decisions and are lucky that year, you get a winner.

Do you really think JR and EE sit in an office and scheme about putting a losing team on the field to piss people like you off?

Forkit!

Pastime:

Do you own a business?

Why do so many people here think it's easy to be an owner that wins a championship?

So many people think the answer is just "sign every player I like and we'll win."

What about profits and losses? What about players with talent that play poorly?

You can call Sox owners all the names you want, but they own the franchise. It's easy to throw big ideas and insults around, but finding the money to own a franchise and then fronting the money to put a team on the field is not something 99.999999999999999999999 percent of the baseball fans could do.

Any owner's first priority is to his business. Period. That is how a good businessman operates or he soon loses the franchise.

All franchises are NOT created equal. As a businessman, you make the decisions you feel are best for your franchise and play the hand you are dealt. If you make the right decisions and are lucky that year, you get a winner.

Do you really think JR and EE sit in an office and scheme about putting a losing team on the field to piss people like you off?

Forkit!

Most businesses do not get a place built for them by the tax payer and operate rent free if customers and sales are down. Do not compare what JR does to a regular business owner because there is no comparison. Jr is and always will do the cheapest route possible , he is in his 70's and not going to live forever if JR was really serious about winning a title a payroll of 80-90 million would be suffice not the 55-60 mil nonsense we here about all the time. I am tired of JR acting like Chicago is a small market team. :fyou JR

Let's see...

Ask United Airlines and Boeing and Sears, to name a few, just how much the taxpayers did for them...

The taxpayers make revenue on the Cell...It's called interest on the bonds floated to build the place, or didn't you know that?

Again, why can't people just think things through before spouting this garbage?

And don't forget...Sox games [and other sporting events] bring tons of revenue to the city, and that flows down to other businesses.

It's not as simple as you'd like to make it.

The constraint the Sox must deal with is called cash flow.

Look it up and learn about it.

Forkit!