Paul Skenes

Is he a six inning wonder or can he go deep in games? How embarrassing for the game of baseball that he has to be removed from game in the sixth when he has a no hitter and 11 Ks. Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver would be laughing when the manager removed them from such a game. Or fuming and punching coolers one of the two.

Kudos to the talented pitcher but shame on you baseball for what you've done to the great game with all the coddling.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, greg775 said:

Is he a six inning wonder or can he go deep in games? How embarrassing for the game of baseball that he has to be removed from game in the sixth when he has a no hitter and 11 Ks. Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver would be laughing when the manager removed them from such a game. Or fuming and punching coolers one of the two.

Kudos to the talented pitcher but shame on you baseball for what you've done to the great game with all the coddling.

What we need is for the pitcher to throw a big-time public hissy fit about being taken out with a no no on the line.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 10:29 AM, oldsox said:

What we need is for the pitcher to throw a big-time public hissy fit about being taken out with a no no on the line.

It amazes me how Little League, high school, American Legion and college pitchers basically have no pitch count (they pitch these guys til the win is assured in the ninth) but in the bigs pitchers can't go more than 100 pitches. It sickens me personally. Only way you can throw a no hitter nowadays is to somehow have a micro low pitch count. Managers can't stand to see a guy go more than 7 for sure. I wonder how many complete games have been thrown this season so far and last season.

Edited by greg775

18 hours ago, greg775 said:

It amazes me how Little League, high school, American Legion and college pitchers basically have no pitch count (they pitch these guys til the win is assured in the ninth) but in the bigs pitchers can't go more than 100 pitches. It sickens me personally. Only way you can throw a no hitter nowadays is to somehow have a micro low pitch count. Managers can't stand to see a guy go more than 7 for sure. I wonder how many complete games have been thrown this season so far and last season.

I cant speak for the high school and beyond level, but there is absolutely pitch count rules in little league that we are required to follow.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

I cant speak for the high school and beyond level, but there is absolutely pitch count rules in little league that we are required to follow.

Same with high school.  If you pitch a certain number of pitchers, you are then obligated to be held out a set number of days.

image.png

• Like 2

Strasburg: Sacrifices his body and ability to lift his arm above his head to win the Nats a World Series

Greg: Baseball is coddling the best pitching prospect since Strasburg.

• Haha 1

My point is if they all need Tommy John eventually anyway, let em throw 130-150 pitches per game not half that total. The analytics era has wrecked baseball. Of course in theory pitchers are gonna get hit the third time thru the order. Special pitchers, Mark Buehrle I love you, can work their way thru 9 innings.

37 minutes ago, greg775 said:

My point is if they all need Tommy John eventually anyway, let em throw 130-150 pitches per game not half that total. The analytics era has wrecked baseball. Of course in theory pitchers are gonna get hit the third time thru the order. Special pitchers, Mark Buehrle I love you, can work their way thru 9 innings.

You are going to die anyway, so kill you now and get it over with.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

If you have 13 pitchers on the team, you might as well use them. I kind of agree with you that you if you have starters go deeper into games, you can have a smaller bullpen and carry an extra platoon bat or something. Otherwise I don't think it's "analytics" to say that a fresh reliever is generally a better pitcher than a tired starter who's gone through the order a couple times. Do you really want to see Chris Flexen and Mike Clevinger go into the 9th inning? God help us. 

I think your example of Skenes is a good point, they should've let him go until he got hit. It happened to Giolito last year too, 6 no hit innings at exactly 100 pitches. Joe Kelly came in the next inning and gave up a RBI double to Kiner-Falefa. The magic number is dumb, throwing so hard is why their arms fall off, but it's probably close enough. 6 innings seems like a reasonable amount of innings for a starting pitcher to me. 

10 minutes ago, nrockway said:

If you have 13 pitchers on the team, you might as well use them. I kind of agree with you that you if you have starters go deeper into games, you can have a smaller bullpen and carry an extra platoon bat or something. Otherwise I don't think it's "analytics" to say that a fresh reliever is generally a better pitcher than a tired starter who's gone through the order a couple times. Do you really want to see Chris Flexen and Mike Clevinger go into the 9th inning? God help us. 

I think your example of Skenes is a good point, they should've let him go until he got hit. It happened to Giolito last year too, 6 no hit innings at exactly 100 pitches. Joe Kelly came in the next inning and gave up a RBI double to Kiner-Falefa. The magic number is dumb, throwing so hard is why their arms fall off, but it's probably close enough. 6 innings seems like a reasonable amount of innings for a starting pitcher to me. 

I was gonna give your post a like til your final sentence. Disagree there.

47 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I was gonna give your post a like til your final sentence. Disagree there.

If you have 8 guys to get through 3 innings, why not? If the starting pitcher is going well, keep him in, sure, but 6 feels right to still make use of the bullpen without taxing it. 

I think a bigger crime is relievers being unable to pitch more than an inning. Kopech faced one batter tonight and he was literally just a starting pitcher, I think he has the stamina. 

22 hours ago, T R U said:

Partly to give the little shits a chance to hit.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Haven't even the Japanese started to learn their lessons with how they abuse pitchers in that annual tournament in Osaka?

Sasaki is definitely being protected more.

They also start their pitchers once a week.