Yankees close in on Flash

winninguglyin83

just saw this on espn.com

Yankees have signed Sheffield to a three-year deal and are close to a ridiculous deal with Flash Gordon -- 2 years and $7 million.

That must be no LaTroy for them, unless they're really going to go nuts and have Flash, Mariano and LaTroy, which I see as unlikely.

It also mentions they want Lofton.

But nothing about Bartolo, which might be good news for the Sox.

Here is what espn.com said:P

The Yankees are close to a two year, $7 million deal with reliever Tom Gordon that is expected to be announced soon, a source told Gammons.

Yankees officials declined comment on the Gordon negotiations, but weekend discussions between the club and agent Rick Thurman were described to ESPN as "intense."

Meanwhile, it was believed that Gordon would wait until free-agent reliever Keith Foulke decides between the Athletics and Red Sox to make a decision, since Gordon and Eddie Guardado are Boston's backup plan.

another report that sez Gordon is bound for the Bronx, to be announced on Tuesday

Report: Yankees close to deal with Gordon

New York, NY (Sports Network) - Free agent reliever Tom Gordon is close to signing a two-year contract with the New York Yankees, according to a broadcast report.

WFAN in New York is reporting the deal for Gordon is likely to be finalized soon and announced Tuesday, the same day the Yankees are expected to officially put free agent outfielder Gary Sheffield in pinstripes.

The radio station reported Sunday that Sheffield has agreed on a three-year contract in the neighborhood of $36 million with the Yankees.

Gordon, a 15-year veteran, saved a career-high 46 games for the Boston Red Sox in 1998, but missed the 2000 season because of elbow surgery. He came back to save 27 games for the Chicago Cubs in 2001.

Last season with the Chicago White Sox, Gordon went 7-6 with 12 saves and a 3.16 ERA in 66 appearances. He struck out 91 batters in 74 innings. Gordon will most likely be used in a setup role by the Yankees.

Gordon is 113-107 with a 4.07 ERA over his career with Kansas City (1988-95), Boston (1996-99), the Cubs (2001-02), Houston (2002) and the White Sox.

11/30 18:26:47 ET

im guessing this means the sox would be suck with the Yankee's second round draft pick ( if KW offers him arbitation) since i assume the braves offered Sheffield it and hes better than Flash....but i guess at least we would get a supplement round pick.

How does that work, if a team signs 2 Type A FA's that were offered arbitration...who gets the teams 1st round pick? :usa

im guessing this means the sox would be suck with the Yankee's second round draft pick ( if KW offers him arbitation) since i assume the braves offered Sheffield it and hes better than Flash....but i guess at least we would get a supplement round pick.

How does that work, if a team signs 2 Type A FA's that were offered arbitration...who gets the teams 1st round pick? :usa

The team with the worst record.

if the team is below 15 then u would get that teams second round pick plus a compensation round pick.....if the team is above 15, then u get the teams first round pick plus a compensation round pick......

But....that team may sign 2 type A free agents, and they only have 1 original 1st round pick, then it goes by worst-to-best record to see which team gets the first rounder and which team gets the second rounder.

Compensation round picks are arranged in worst-to-best order also, so the sox would probably pick in the middle of that round. :usa

Well Braves were better so we don't have to worry about Sheffield, of course this all hinges on the White Sox offering arbitration, doesn't it? Same goes with the Yanks.

Do they have to offer it before the player signs or can they take all the way till the 7th?

I just hope that the Yankees and Red Sox keep spending until their heart's content. That might actually create a domino effect in which Colon finds an unfavorable free-agent market not willing to pay him what he wants.

I still think his arm is suspect, but so is Ponson's.

Who knows.