Don't Get Too Excited About Carlos Lee

Flash Tizzle

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox20.html

Lee has been mentioned in trade rumors this offseason, and the new contract doesn't necessarily guarantee his return to the Sox. The team must reduce salary to meet a self-imposed payroll of just under $60 million, but general manager Ken Williams said at the winter meetings last weekend that he was prepared to go over budget. 

Heres the important part:

One of the main reasons the Los Angeles Dodgers balked at including reliever Guillermo Mota and pitching prospects Edwin Jackson or Greg Miller in a deal for Ordonez was that Ordonez only had one year remaining on his contract.

Lee's two-year deal could make him attractive to the offensive-deficient Dodgers, leaving a deal for left-handed starter Odalis Perez now possible, with Mota, Jackson or Miller thrown in.

By the end of 04 we could be short Maggs, Lee, and Frank. If the article has truth to it, I wouldn't be too happy about this development. But if Lee is being used as bait, Maggs will probably stay for next season. Hopefully we will have the money available to offer his ludicrous contract. (it will be and you know it)

Hmmm if it takes Carlos Lee to get Miller and Jackson then let's do it. I'm sure if we even do this, tradin Maggs is still a possibility to free up more money but I'd think only Boston or Baltimore if they don't get Vlad are the options there. I'm not too sure bout a Perez and Mota for Lee deal, I think we should definitely try to get at least one top prospect from the Dodgers.

Hmmm if it takes Carlos Lee to get Miller and Jackson then let's do it. I'm sure if we even do this, tradin Maggs is still a possibility to free up more money but I'd think only Boston or Baltimore if they don't get Vlad are the options there. I'm not too sure bout a Perez and Mota for Lee deal, I think we should definitely try to get at least one top prospect from the Dodgers.

If JR thinks attendance is bad now jus wait till you see all the empty seats after he starts dumping salary. If he wants a commitment from the fans maybe he should start by commiting to his key players. Locking up MB was a good start but if we dont keep Maggs we are going to be in a world of hurt.

Geeze, Lee for Perez and Jackson/Miller where do the Sox sign. They keep Magglio, whose superior to Lee and add their pitching prospect, who could also be the 5th starter and add a starting pitcher.

Thats my favorite deal out there. Plus, were all going to be b****ing about Lee in a year or two when he continues to put up similar numbers to this year and last and doesn't get better. Ya the numbers were solid, but not 8 mill a year solid.

I would rather see the Sox keep both Lee and Ordonez. Don't underestimate what Carlos Lee can do. Maggs is one of the best and Lee can be too. Reinsdorf needs to understand that his economic survival is dependant on the success of the team he puts on the field. Trading away marquee players for potential does not translate into a competitive and winning ballclub. It means rebuilding and fans don't deserve that nor do the players. The Sox can win and that will mean fans at the ballpark which means money in Jerry's coffers. I don't see a long term plan here at all and eventually all our star players will be gone as well as our young talent as we try to patch the old tube every year with mid season trades in order to stay competitive only to see those players leave in the off season.